My wife says i'm a sad individual

I spend 3 DAYS cleaning my guns ..... but only like 10 minutes each on each of the 3 days ...... I clean them, and run a wet patch through the bore and put them up, repeat on day 2, and on day 3, with a dry patch last on day 3. You would not believe how bleu-green the patches come out on day 2 from a "clean" rifle bore....

OTH, when we go shooting, we shoot a lot of guns .....

I would also not be surprised that you talk to your guns while cleaning them and when putting them away pat them lovingly and say good night.

You mean like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket? If that's the case lets hope he doesn't follow suit and shoot his drill Sgt.

Some guns just take a longer than others to clean good. I have one rifle that's almost impossible to remove all the copper fouling from the barrel so I leave some in there and it still shoots great.

And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel? I love my S&W model 19, all except the nickel... thanks

Ballistol & a brush, then wipe off w/a dry cloth.

Next wipe it with a lead away cloth.

Repeat the Ballistol & buff it to a nice shine.

Wax is optional for the shine.

Just make double/triple sure you keep the lead away cloth away from blued guns.
It'll take the bluing right off.

Gun cleaning....

Retired NYPD officer & USMC veteran; Pat Rodgers says you should only take 10-15 minutes to clean a gun. :rolleyes:
I've been known to use my magnifying glass on my firearms :D .
There are several methods to deep cleaning firearms. I like the handy, well made Ballistol. It's safe for bare hands & non-toxic.

I like to run a light coat of CLP like LPX or Weaponshield over the guns I plan to shoot then when I stop, it's a lot faster to clean/service later.
Hoppes #9 or the new synthetic version(new for a product thats been in use for 105 years or so, :D ) helps too.

Some shooters let guns lay around dirty. Not this kat!

Clyde

I've taken 2 hours to clean a rifle after using corrosive ammo before. I don't mind it so much.

Never spent that long on a handgun

Not so much cleaning, but last night I trimmed brass, 4 hours,
Then again my Rem 700 when I take it to the range I clean it every 20 rounds. I’ve been told I’m nuts for doing it but it’s like my dog, he likes to be brushed.
My 700 likes to be clean for sub MOA.

The only time I've ever spent more than 15 or 20 minutes cleaning a gun was when I was in the military, then I'd sometimes spend 2 or 3 days cleaning one so I could clear inspection and go home.

You guys clean too much. I have shot my 9mm for 800rds before cleaning. And that was over three months.

Keeping guns cleaned and well lubricated are more than just for peace of mind and reliability, they reduce the amount of wear you put on the firearm. Metal scraping against metal causes wear. Lubrication helps prevent wear, insufficient lubrication or guns loaded with powder residue, dirt, sand, etc increase wear dramatically compared to a well cleaned and lubricated gun.

I don't think I've ever cleaned a gun faster than 30 minutes, and I sometimes take much longer. I run through huge boxes of Q-tips. Most of the time I actually take about 2 hours and 30 minutes since after cleaning I like to soak the contact points with Breakfree and let it cure.

I might be obsessive, but I've never had a failure, jam, or hiccup out of a gun that wasn't ammo related, and only about 5-10 issues with shoddy ammo. I take care of them, they take care of me.

You're not alone. I know it's not necessary but I completely strip and clean my pistols after every range trip, even if I only shoot a couple boxes.

To be fair though I only have 2 pistols I do this with and they are my self defense guns. My philosophy is that if I keep them clean and take good care of them they will take care of me.

What's really sad

Spending $200 on a therapist and whining about your issues. I find any kind of repetitive behavior to be far more cost effective than a mental health care professional.

clean for two hours!

I love my garage, she has no idea what I am doing there. let's see if I can attach a pic.

Max it, your garage looks like a fun spot. I am moving to Texas in 2 months and hopefully finally out of a condo... cant wait to set up my own shop!

I spend 3 DAYS cleaning my guns ..... but only like 10 minutes each on each of the 3 days ...... I clean them, and run a wet patch through the bore and put them up, repeat on day 2, and on day 3, with a dry patch last on day 3. You would not believe how bleu-green the patches come out on day 2 from a "clean" rifle bore....

Hey Jimbob86. On a different post is was asking you why you took so long to clean your rifle. I decided to try your method. I was amazed how I THOUGHT I had a clean rifle. Thanks for the tip.

Getting the guns out and cleaning them for hunting season half the fun! I just slap on some grease and my HK will run all year long.

Back