My wife says i'm a sad individual

bledsoeG19

The reason she says this is because I just spent two hours cleaning one revolver. (Shot it A LOT today). Is there anyone else out there that is like me in the way that they get started with a "quick cleaning" and then get carried away? And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel? I love my S&W model 19, all except the nickel... thanks

Lol i find myself doing this bring the gun home from the range and plan to give it a quick break down and cleaning and the 10 minutes i planned to spend cleaning turns into 2it hours of detailing and polishing..hah.

Unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, that is a bit excessive. Even with corrosive ammo that is excessive. I spend maybe 30 minutes tops on a gun, and that is the ones with corrosive ammo.

I find myself cleaning my Blued guns well but not getting into it for more than a solid 20 minutes. When I have my stainless Super Black Hawk you could see everything and I would watch youtube while getting every bit of carbon off that thing.

Your wife is blessed and has a power tool in you at her finger tips. Please make sure she sees my response. She can take your skills and get all the floors in the house deep cleaned, have all the appliances sparkling, and the porcelain items in the bathrooms looking like new on a weekly basis. This is only the beginning, and she can develop long project list for outside the house activities you will take on with a vengeance.

If this is not enough to keep you happy, she can then volunteer your excess energy to neighborhood projects.

You will be a happy man and she will be a proud task master. :)

And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel?

I agree, and that's one of the reasons I will likely never buy another nice nickel gun. The one I have left is a car gun and I don't care about fingerprints, but I was forever going after fingerprints on one I just sold. Beautiful, but a pain.

Dump the wife, get a 18 year old girlfriend that likes shooting, spend a day at the range, leave the girlfriend at her place, go home and savor the manly art of gun cleaning while your loyal dog is at your feet and the Sportsman channel is on the tv. Life is good :-)

Ha! This is coming from a guy that gives a detailed cleaning to ANY gun he shoots whether it's 10-1,000 rounds. I take about that much time on each gun. When I started shooting and didn't know any better I'd take out 5-7 handguns at a time. Now the most I'll take is three thankfully, and I have the rest of the afternoon or evening or night to do other stuff. lol

I would venture to say you have a gun fetish.
I would also suspect that the smell of coffee and gun powder in the morning is your favorite smells.
I would also not be surprised that you talk to your guns while cleaning them and when putting them away pat them lovingly and say good night.

I have found a somewhat effective fix for these phobias.
Start cleaning your gun when you have to pee and do not go pee until the guns are clean.
I said “somewhat” effective! :D

When a rain storm caught out me and all my range equipment last weekend, I did a detail clean of both pistols and all associated magazines. It took a bit of time but my wife gets it. I'd do the same thing when I was caught out on my bike in the rain--clean and lube everything that could turn orange overnight. Thank god for the rise of carbon fiber and aluminum alloys in bikes....

My GF does not understand it when I have to "fix/make better" a pistol which she thinks is already working 100%.

.... but she is OK with it.

SHE IS RIGHT !!! It should not take you over five minutes at the most to clean any pistol, revolving or selfloading, back to perfection. FIVE MINUTES !!!
And so it goes...

It can take me a while to clean guns sometimes. Since I use grease, first you have to clean all the grease off. Then there is the even lengthier process of applying the grease which I do with matches from a match book, which are just about perfect for this application. Then I reassemble, cycle a few times, wipe off excess grease that came out around the back of the slide, disassemble, look for areas where excess grease built up, reassemble, and repeat until I am satisfied that all excess grease is removed. It's a labor of love :D

Last edited:
At least you've shot yours before cleaning it for two hours...

...All I did was buy mine and I still cleaned from the beginning to the end of The Good, The bad and the Ugly.

Tuco would be proud...

Half these comments have me in tears laughing. Fwiw my wife likes to shoot. She just doesnt like the cleaning part or the reloading part. For those that spend 5 to 10 min cleaning their hand guns.... if they're nickel plated you are apparently much more skilled than I. Oh and by "carried away" I meant down to the frame. Full strip.

Madmo44mag,

The answers are yes, yes, and...... possibly....

Lamarw,

Aint happenen' my friend

revolvers are a PITA to clean. my S&W 629, for instance, is a real terror to clean. with all the cylinder flutes, the multiple chambers, the end of the cylinder, and the barrel are all a challenge.

Dump the wife, get a 18 year old girlfriend that likes shooting, spend a day at the range, leave the girlfriend at her place, go home and savor the manly art of gun cleaning while your loyal dog is at your feet and the Sportsman channel is on the tv. Life is good :-)
Whatever it is that your smoking please share some.
I havent had a beautiful 18y/o girlfriend since I was about 20. But she did help me polish my gun often:D

Sheese.......if I spent two hours cleanin' every revolver after comin' home from a day at the range I would be cleanin' guns for 12-14 hours straight. Must be why I prefer Stainless.......

Back