My new open carry conspicuously inconspicuous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hidden in plain sight

I have a friend of mine that wore one of those buckles on a flight he took out of Kansas.
He's been wearing it for quite a while, and it's pretty much become part of his daily life. It's one of those things that you put on so many times that you don't hardly ever give it a second thought.

He took of his belt for the quick x-ray pass and put it back on without even thinking about it. When he got to his final destination a friend of his asked where he got the cool belt buckle. He looked down and realized he had been carrying that revolver the whole day and had walked right thru a TSA inspection station. He ended up sending it back to his FFL dealer a couple days before he flew back home

Hidden in plain sight

Finally somebody got it! In your face!:eek:

He ended up sending it back to his FFL dealer a couple days before he flew back home.

He should have just shoved it in a potato, and claimed it in his baggage.LOL:D

Nice little buckle there I have always wanted one even if I never wore it. I dont understand the whole thing about not liking OC. I have a CCW permit but if I am not working I carry open. In plain view in a good holster. KY lets me carry pretty much anywhere public. NO school hospitals or gov buildings. I can keep it in plian view in the car lock and loaded with no issue. The local grocery store give me couple of looks first couple of times that I went in but now they never even think about it. I dont want some thug thinking that they might be able to get by with some thing or say well that guy may have a gun. I want him to know I have a gun and that I WILL use leathal force if he gives me a reason. I dont carry a little 22 as OC I pack a 357 mag.

Hear, hear! I fully agree with Chris. But I'm not quite walking that walk yet. I carry open when I'm camping and in my yard doing lawn work and such but I haven't mustered the courage to carry open in the grocery store, coffee shop, etc. I know that's crazy because it's perfectly legal. I guess I just need to see more people doing it first.
So please, all of you braver types, leave the closet and start a trend so I'll feel more at ease when I do it.
Wimpy? Yeah, I'll admit it. I just don't want people staring at me.
Rib

Nice little buckle there I have always wanted one even if I never wore it. I don't understand the whole thing about not liking OC.

Thanks, but it's not so small. It reminds me of a rodeo trophy. For the most part, I wear my shirts un-tucked ("Ohhh, the nerve, I never!"), so it really is a CCW, but it's a nice little BUG for my .38spl snub.

Also, it's nice to see somebody not trying to burn me at the stake for utilizing my 2nd.

It's a little bulky, and cowboy'ish, and it a little cheesily built for $50, but it work's. I only got one strange look, but I was checking out that red necks hot girl friend. Not sure if he was looking at my 2006 Super Bowl T-shirt (Detroit), or my gun out in plain site.

It sounds like you are just in need of some attention. :rolleyes:

Also, it's nice to see somebody not trying to burn me at the stake for utilizing my 2nd.

output

It sounds like you are just in need of some attention.

Unlike IL, At least I can CCW, and open carry DB, "ALL AT THE SAME TIME!" Do I have your attention now?:D:D

Last edited:
diablo508

Well, Diablo, I could see that from were your from, Hawaii. Go to WY, you'll see it all the time.

But I have stated, I usually were my tee's untucked. So really, it's a CCW. I just tucked it in to see if anybody noticed it as a real open carry gun. I'm legal on both fronts, so it was not that big of a deal, like some had made it out to be. It's not like I holstered one of my N-frames, or my Redhawk and open carried, although legal.

If I looked like a clean shaven LEO, I might carry one of my semi's. Anyways, I LIKE IT!:D No DB going to tell me what I can, or can't were as long as I'm legal. Get it? "Legal"!

Thank you

8shot357 said:
Unlike IL, At least I can CCW, and open carry DB, "ALL AT THE SAME TIME!" Do I have your attention now?

Actually, you didn’t even have my attention when you sent me the PM a couple of days ago that said “Nice comment, no class.” Don’t get your panties up in a bunch.

You do not have to like my comment. I am not asking you too.

8shot357 said:
I only got one strange look, but I was checking out that red necks hot girl friend. Not sure if he was looking at my 2006 Super Bowl T-shirt (Detroit), or my gun out in plain site.

This comment wasn't classy. I support your right to carry and honestly I am glad that you and other exercise the right. That’s what it is there for. Your post is another story though.

Last edited:
To each his own whether to CC or OC. OC is risky in my state, so I seldom do it. "Armed to terror of the public" is a vague statute here that can be invoked if anyone gets frightened at the sight of my gun on my hip, even with no threatening behavior. OC and CC both have their pros & cons. Or compromise & do both.:D

To each his own on what he carries. I personally believe anything from a slingshot to a machine gun is your right to own & carry.

However, I would not carry such a small derringer type gun even as a BUG. The few times I have fired one, I could barely hold it steady for a good shot. I need something to hold onto for a good grip. I don't see it as a logical choice at all in any kind of encounter & having to shoot it under stress. If I really wanted a derringer, I would get something like a Bond Arms or American Derringer, with more of a grip.

I wouldn't expect many people to recognize it as anything other than a belt buckle. My main concern would be getting in a physical confrontation and having the gun get knocked off the buckle.

ncp, you oc in Durham? Wow that takes nerve. I have been told by a couple of Durham cops that it would be an instant arrest.

You could get out of it based on the state supreme court cases on the matter. It would be a headache though. My hat is off to you for having more spine than me.

Last edited:
I have only OC'd in Durham twice, both times at a house in a BAD neighborhood where I rewired after copper thefts. Thieves hit it twice. I had property owner's permission and barely ever left the yard, unless I had my truck on the street. 2nd time there, HO said he'd not reported it yet, so I did, and OC'd in presence of officer who came to take the report. No hassle.

But I would never OC on the street in Durham or anywhere else in NC without knowing the town for awhile. Much too risky for the "armed to terror" statute. I do see a few store owners doing OC around here. I think they are safe, as it is their own property. Customer can choose to go there or not.

I used to see a few fishermen doing OC in past years. Don't think I've seen any lately. As a child & teen, if we went somewhere with 20 or more people fishing at a lake or river, 2 or 3 would often have revolverss on the hip.

publius

My main concern would be getting in a physical confrontation and having the gun get knocked off the buckle.

Yep, it's one of mine too. It's not perfect, in fact I've dropped it twice taking it out of the buckle. I've found it easy to unbuckle it to remove the gun which is not hard.

It's has a strong magnet and a flip over lever that's hold it very secure. The magnet holds so strong to carry it, I really don't need the lever. It's a pretty good design, although the chrome seems cheap.

Best case scenario, I'd use it as a last alternative if I used up my 5 shot's of my .38spl. and I was able to retreat to get it out. But more than likely the fight would be over by then. FYI, I don't carry a speed loader on the hot Vegas Day's 106-110*F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back