My model 93 Mauser bit me!

One of the Spaniards is planed for a 243Win.

I'm with emcon. The 243 is maybe a bit zippy.

Another issue,don't expect trouble free feeding if you go to a .308 derived case.The taper is different,the mag stackup is different.
Voice of experience.Not saying it can't be done,but....

Now the 257 Roberts is a necked down 7x57 that SAAMI specs at lower pressure....

If its a handload situation and you want to use 6mm bullets,the 6mm Rem is the 7x57 case necked

I just wanted a slower moving 6mm. Two of the Spaniards I have have already been converted to the 7.62 NATO (7.62×51mm CETME) so feeding should be no problem because the rails would alredy been modified. I have converted many a Mauser to different taper cases with no problems. This one I am not worried at all. Besides the lower steel is not Spanish but from a 6.5 Swede.

.243 Win is pushing the limits of a Spanish 93/16. I wouldn't go there.

And, 7.62 NATO and 7.62 CETME are not the same. The CETME cartridge runs at lower pressure ... which is the only reason the Spanish rechambered the 1916s for it. And, even then, they were last-ditch rifles - not intended for full time use.

The Spanish 93s and 1916s are relics, in every sense of the word. Proceed cautiously, if at all.

(Yes, I have several, myself.)

Last edited:
I just wanted a slower moving 6mm. Two of the Spaniards I have have already been converted to the 7.62 NATO (7.62×51mm CETME) so feeding should be no problem because the rails would alredy been modified.

If a Spanish 308 Win conversion blows, who you going to sue? The Spanish Nation? Just because the Spanish military or some other military converts their 7mm Mauser actions to 308 Winchester does not mean it is safe. What it means, is that the Spanish military has a callous attitude towards the lives and health of its Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines. It was not that long ago that the US military issued low number M1903 Springfield rifles, about 1,000,000 to its troops. This was after tests that showed about 33% percent of these rifles would come unglued in overpressure incidents. Officially the statement was that the rifles would be left in service until worn out and then the receiver would be scrapped at Depot. What the press release ignored was the fact that a certain number of these rifles would blow up, injuring its user, before it was returned to Depot. The Hierarchy of the US Army, Navy, Marine Corp made this decision knowing full well the consequences to its service men. Leadership considered the life and health of a service man to be worth less than a $40.00 rifle. What makes anyone think the Spanish military were any more enlightened? The aristocracy of all nations consider their subjects as disposable for their greater good. Spending money protecting the great unwashed is not part of their greater good.

The pressure data for the M98 also applies, as far as we know, to the small ring Mausers:

Rifle Magazine Issue 159 May 1995 Dear Editor pg 10
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri159partial.pdf

Ludwig Olsen :

Mauser 98 actions produced by Mauser and DWM were proofed with two loads that produced approximately 1000 atmosphere greater pressure than normal factory rounds. That procedure was in accordance with the 1891 German proof law. Proof pressure for the Mauser 98 in 7 X57 was 4,050 atmospheres (57, 591 psi). Pressure of the normal 7 X 57 factory load with 11.2 gram bullet was given in Mauser’s 1908 patent boot as 3,050 atmosphere, or 43, 371 pounds.

While many Mausers in the 1908 Brazilian category will likely endure pressures considerably in excess of the 4,050 atmospheres proof loads, there might be some setback of the receiver locking shoulder with such high pressures

Kunhausen shows similar numbers in his book : “The Mauser Bolt Actions, A Shop Manual”

Rifle & Carbine 98: M98 Firearms of the German Army from 1898 to 1918 Dieter

M98 Mauser service rifles underwent a 2 round proof at 4,000 atm gas pressure, 1 atm = 14.6 psi, 4000 atm = 58, 784 psia. Page 103. A comment on the metallurgy and process technology of the era, Dieter found records that indicated that the bolt lugs broke on 1:1000 of GEW98 service rifles used by the Bavarian Army Corp!

Gun Digest 1975 has an excellent article, “A History of Proof Marks, Gun Proof in German” by Lee Kennett.

“The problem of smokeless proof was posed in a dramatic way by the Model 1888 and it commercial derivates. In this particular case a solution was sought in the decree of 23 July 1893. This provided that such rifles be proved with a government smokeless powder known as the “4,000 atmosphere powder”, proof pressure was 4,000 metric atmospheres or 58,000 psia. The 4000 atmosphere proof was standardized for the 1893 and continued after 1911.

The article indicates it was applied to the 1898. The 1939 German proof law called for proof at 130% of service load pressure. From Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olsen, page 134, The maximum working pressure of the German 7.9 sS cartridge was 46, 926 psi. According to sources, this round was used in machine guns after WW1 and then shortly before WW2, became a universal issue round. Use in the K98 action had to have been examined, and I expect the decision to use in the K98 would have been based on the improvement of metal quality and process technology. A proof pressure 7.9sS would be 61k psi.

So, cartridges operating at 60,000 psia are operating at the proof pressures of these old military actions. Unless someone can produce credible data as to the proof standards of later 98 actions, and the design limits used by Paul Mauser, I am going to state that it is reasonable that the small ring mausers and the M98 action was designed to support cartridges of 43, 371 psia with a case head diameter of 0.470”. Later higher pressure ammunition was probably considered an acceptable risk, but even then, the 7.9 sS World War 2 cartridge pressure was 46,926 psi.

I believe that a pressure standard for these rifles of 43, 371 lbs/ in ² is reasonable based on the SAAMI spec pressure of 35, 000 lbs/ in ². Obviously SAAMI researched this issue, probably determined original pressure standards, then used wise judgment about the age, uncertain previous history, unknown storage, usage, the known limited strength of period plain carbon steel actions, and as an industry, they were are not willing to accept the liability involved with selling new ammunition of a higher pressure.

I have converted many a Mauser to different taper cases with no problems. This one I am not worried at all. Besides the lower steel is not Spanish but from a 6.5 Swede.

When you experiment with cheap old military actions, operating them constantly at pressures above their service pressures or their intended pressures, you invite some particular and predictable risks. If the receiver seats are peened, due to high pressures, case head protrusion increases and it is only a matter of time till the case sidewalls blow. If the bolt lugs crack, through fatigue fracture, with these small ring Mausers, the bolt can be blown out. From web postings on another forum, this has accounted for at least two fatalities. I think one was a shooter in Australia and one was a Swedish Service man. After the death of the service man, Sweden dumped all their old M1896 rifles on the American market. You can, if you want, study the pressure the Swedes used, and their old plain carbon steel actions were not operating at 60,000 psia. Swedish steel may (and this is an assumption) may have been better than Spanish, but actions made prior to 1920 were pre vacuum tube technology. Spain had a Civil War in the 1930’s, so it is likely the rifle factories were not being technologically upgraded as people were cheap.

These old actions are cheap, and that is for a reason, they are cheap. They are metallurgically weaker than the same receiver made of modern alloy steels. The fatigue life is less, in fact, quite unpredictable.

If you are building these actions for others, understand your liability. As a gun manufacturer you are assumed to know more than your customer. You are assumed to be an expert. If one of your conversions blows up in the hands of another, and you converted it to an inappropriate cartridge, in a product liability lawsuit, you will lose everything you own, and everything you will ever own.

However, if you are making these for yourself: Go have at it. You are responsible for you own life and limb and if you don’t have the knowledge, and don’t heed the warnings, well, it is on your head and no one else.

Well, the "young girl" when this thread started was 12, now she is 19. I am guessing the rifle problem has been solved by now.

She is indeed 19 .... never did take a deer. Still goes hunting .... just doesn't shoot.

I still have the gun ..... none of the kids want to shoot it- it was dubbed "The Bitey Gun" by my then 7 year old son .... he still calls it that ..... kinda funny, as he's near to 6 feet tall now.....

Some years ago, When Harry McGowen was still building rifles, He built a few for me out of Mauser actions, Small and large ring. Strangely enough he was one of the most respected gunsmiths in the world when he was active in the field, before he retired. As many rifles as he has built out of small ring actions, He has never had one fail or was he sued for such a thing happening. It is good to hear all of these opinions just to see what they actually are. Truth be told, these opinions are all over the spectrum. Will a gun ever blow up? Sure it will. I remember when we first had the Beretta M9 issued to us and the slides flying off. Yes it happened once or twice but not as often as was implied. Remington now has a lawsuit against them because of there triggers going off etc etc. We all know that this can go on for ever. When dealing with firearms caution and precautions must be practiced at all times. There have been many of these Spaniards sold in the last few years and so many people, not knowing the difference, shoot 308Win through them. Has one blown up? Maybe but it is not like the www is loaded with this disaster. Yes I will practice caution. But I will not loose sleep over it. Wen all is said and done, the Remington 700 action was never intended to shoot the RUM cartridges ether, but it is being done, with no failures, (so far). Can or will it happen? Maybe.

Just because it doesn't spontaneously disassemble, doesn't mean it is safe.

Like I said earlier, it is unlikely to blow up, but you will probably see lug setback and a ruined rifle that won't headspace after a while, how long depends on how good the steel is in your particular action, and how much you shoot.

Missed this before:

I believe that a pressure standard for these rifles of 43, 371 lbs/ in ² is reasonable based on the SAAMI spec pressure of 35, 000 lbs/ in ². Obviously SAAMI researched this issue, probably determined original pressure standards, then used wise judgment about the age, uncertain previous history, unknown storage, usage, the known limited strength of period plain carbon steel actions, and as an industry, they were are not willing to accept the liability involved with selling new ammunition of a higher pressure.

I think SAMMI pulled that number out of their butts, as a big CYA in case some dullard shot a .323 bullet through a .318 bore Commission Rifle.

The SAMMI spec for 7X57 Mauser, which was chambered in the same rifles for the most part, is 51,000 psi. The CIP Specs for both 7X57 and 8X57 are the same, 56,560 PSI.

Right thumb on right side?nonsense. You surrender some stability to the shooting hand. You surrender all stabilization that a solid grip on stock and action provides.

Without a wraparound grip your rifle is held in place by nothing but friction and a pinch on the forearm.

Without a wraparound grip your rifle is held in place by nothing but friction and a pinch on the forearm.

Hasn't jumped out of my hands yet ..... Hundreds of thousands of Enfields didn't jump out of the hands of bolt flicking Brits using their middle fingers to pull the triggers during their Mad Minute Drills .... the Norwegians do it too....

... I suppose the rest of the right hand pressing the rifle rearward against the shoulder has nothing to do with it....... and the cheek weld? As for stability, the taught sling and a position that relies upon bones and ligaments as opposed to the strength on one's thumb are a better bet, I think...... but even offhand, I've never had that Mauser get away from me....

Last edited:
Some years ago, When Harry McGowen was still building rifles, He built a few for me out of Mauser actions, Small and large ring. Strangely enough he was one of the most respected gunsmiths in the world when he was active in the field, before he retired. As many rifles as he has built out of small ring actions, He has never had one fail or was he sued for such a thing happening. It is good to hear all of these opinions just to see what they actually are. Truth be told, these opinions are all over the spectrum. Will a gun ever blow up? Sure it will. I remember when we first had the Beretta M9 issued to us and the slides flying off. Yes it happened once or twice but not as often as was implied. Remington now has a lawsuit against them because of there triggers going off etc etc. We all know that this can go on for ever. When dealing with firearms caution and precautions must be practiced at all times. There have been many of these Spaniards sold in the last few years and so many people, not knowing the difference, shoot 308Win through them. Has one blown up? Maybe but it is not like the www is loaded with this disaster. Yes I will practice caution. But I will not loose sleep over it. Wen all is said and done, the Remington 700 action was never intended to shoot the RUM cartridges ether, but it is being done, with no failures, (so far). Can or will it happen? Maybe.

GunnyK: You seem like a nice guy., don't want to beat on you too hard.

To quote: "Predicting is hard to do, especially of the future".

Harry McGowen is out of business, correct? What Spain did, well who cares? If Spain wants to kill its citizens or Soldiers with defective products, that is their problem. You will find that the misdeeds of others is not a good defense. Nothing Harry did or said, nothing the country of Spain did, is going to help you one bit if, and this is the big unknown, one of your actions blows.

Strict liability is the rule in the United States, you ought to read about product liability and understand its implications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_liability
Strict liability

Rather than focus on the behavior of the manufacturer (as in negligence), strict liability claims focus on the product itself. Under strict liability, the manufacturer is liable if the product is defective, even if the manufacturer was not negligent in making that product defective.

The ignorance argument is not going to reduce your liability one bit if one of your conversions blows and you go to court. Saying things, like "I don't know", "I never heard of", "No one told me", is only going to prove the case for the plaintiff that you are so incompetent that you are beyond negligence. Why didn't you know?, why didn't you hear of?, why did you expect anyone to tell you anything?. Building a defense around ignorance will just help the plaintiff make a very convincing case that you are a menace to society and win even a larger settlement. Pretty much the burden of proof is on you to prove that you did everything, such as metallurgical testing, you knew the ultimate and yield of the receiver that blew, you knew the material composition, you knew the grain structure, that you knew everything. And even then, they will make you look stupid. Because a rifle you built blew up.

Of course you are doing nothing of the kind and know nothing about these cheap old receivers. Which is going to do nothing for you, in the past tense, if one blows and you get sued.

You are using these old receivers because they are cheap. Which is OK, as long as you understand the risks to your self, and those to whom you are building and selling rifles with these actions.

The Spaniard fed the converted rifles with 7.62x51 cetme, which is the loaded down version of the nato round.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Well, I started cleaning and working on all the actions I have just to assess them. I used the Vz-24 actions I worked on as a baseline and also the Turks which were German made. After cleaning them up by removing all the rust pitting and unwanted markings which is done with diamond grit and is quite easy, I did the assessment by drilling scope mount holes. This is a good way to rate the steel. Drilling was first attempted with a Cobalt steel drill bit. After wiping out the first bit before I even reached the end of the taper, I drilled the rest with Carbide. Than came the test by attempting to tap the 6-48. Well, all be told, it was impossible without spot annealing the holes first. I could not even get the tap started. This is the exact same issue I had with the Vz-24 actions and also the large ring M-98 Turks. The small ring Turks were actually tapable but with a lot of effort and painstaking care. At this point I have absolutely NO RESERVATIONS about using the Spaniards for my .243Win and have actually decided to do a second Spaniard with a 7mm-08Rem. Just have to decide on the third. Now i will at least have two "Slow" small caliber rifles. The 7mm-08 will compliment my 7mm-STW and the 243Win will compliment my 6mm-284 and 6mm-264Win.

GunnyK: You seem like a nice guy., don't want to beat on you too hard.

To quote: "Predicting is hard to do, especially of the future".

Harry McGowen is out of business, correct? What Spain did, well who cares? If Spain wants to kill its citizens or Soldiers with defective products, that is their problem. You will find that the misdeeds of others is not a good defense. Nothing Harry did or said, nothing the country of Spain did, is going to help you one bit if, and this is the big unknown, one of your actions blows.

Strict liability is the rule in the United States, you ought to read about product liability and understand its implications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_liability

The ignorance argument is not going to reduce your liability one bit if one of your conversions blows and you go to court. Saying things, like "I don't know", "I never heard of", "No one told me", is only going to prove the case for the plaintiff that you are so incompetent that you are beyond negligence. Why didn't you know?, why didn't you hear of?, why did you expect anyone to tell you anything?. Building a defense around ignorance will just help the plaintiff make a very convincing case that you are a menace to society and win even a larger settlement. Pretty much the burden of proof is on you to prove that you did everything, such as metallurgical testing, you knew the ultimate and yield of the receiver that blew, you knew the material composition, you knew the grain structure, that you knew everything. And even then, they will make you look stupid. Because a rifle you built blew up.

Of course you are doing nothing of the kind and know nothing about these cheap old receivers. Which is going to do nothing for you, in the past tense, if one blows and you get sued.

You are using these old receivers because they are cheap. Which is OK, as long as you understand the risks to your self, and those to whom you are building and selling rifles with these actions.

I fully understand. First of all, I don't think I will sue myself since I am building these for myself. I am using these because of the size and stile. I do not want to use the full size or even the short 98 action.
Harry is out of business because he passed away from us July of 2014, being in business since the mid Sixties and was very trusted and revered. I remember how busy he was with all the orders from Africa and Europe. I miss him very much as a friend and trusted gunsmith. Since he passed, I have not been able to find anyone who can do an equal bluing job like he did. I have not had the opportunity to deal with the company that bought him out but that is because there would be no point. Good gunsmiths that are capable of impeccable work like he did are next to impossible to find this day and age. I am only a hobbyist and build my own. So far I have built myself about 12 rifles and the only issues I have experienced so far are burned out barrels because of hot rounds in untreated barrels and split stocks because of the lack of recoil bolts in them. I have since than remedied both issues by Nitriding the barrels and now installing recoil bolts in every rifle I build. One thing that we must take into consideration with all of these x-Military actions is that they were intended to withstand tens-of-thousands of rounds through them in deplorable and filthy conditions. We normally put a few hundred or at best a couple thousand through them in normally perfect conditions and inspect them after almost every use. I myself inspect my rifles every time I use it. I understand everything that is being said here but. Also most of the individuals here are playing Devils-Advocate, The other few, well that i don't know. I myself am not worried at this point. But thank you for all the good input. This is what I am looking fore. I still want as much as I can get.
Mike Hudson did a good article.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/small_ring_mausers.htm

Back