My LGS has Guns They WONT Sell Me

No one else is bothered that LEO's are provided a gratuity/discount that is not available to the general public?

Somewhat, but not a lot. If it was for a rooky just out of the academy, I would say fine give him the discount, but for a 10 year veteran on the force, I would say foul he should pay the same price as me for a personal weapon. Departments don't generally buy their firearms from a local gun store, not large departments.

Most advantage for a LE is that there is no waiting period to pick up a handgun, they can purchase and walk out the store as soon as the proper paperwork is finished.

Jim

Most advantage for a LE is that there is no waiting period to pick up a handgun, they can purchase and walk out the store as soon as the proper paperwork is finished.
Not in Washington State. Here, the only way to avoid the state waiting period on handguns is to have a Concealed Pistol License. Well, most cops here don't have CPLs; they don't need one to carry concealed, so most don't bother to get one. But that means when they buy a handgun they have to go through the waiting period. Stupid, huh?

Jim243 said:

That doesnt apply where I live. There is no waiting period. Fill out paperwork, 5-10 minute background check, pay, leave store with new purchase.

How many states have waiting periods? The 2 I have lived in (MS, TN) have no waiting period. Everyone wake out with the gun in 10 minutes

My Story

I know in here in California it comes down to magazine capacity. Myself and all other non Law Enforcement types are restricted to 10 rounds or less. There are also firearms you can buy in other states and not California. Firearms in California have to be certified to be sold in California. The state actually has a list of firearms that make the list.
My co-workers and I are full time Firefighters (normally I would not even mention that, but it does relate to the story).
One of my co-workers went to buy a Glock 40cal exact model I forget may have been 23. Because he was not law enforcement they sold one to him, but they took $60.00 off the price and took away both magazines. It took him 2 months to find 2 10 round magazines for his Glock.
So a month after that, a station down the street from mine, got a flier from Glock on the Blue Label program. So 2 Firefighters from that station and 1 from mine go to the participating store and order Glocks.
I did not, I was afraid of getting a firearm with no magazines. So they pay 100% up front and have to wait. About a month or two later they are told they may or may not get magazines, but the store would make price adjustments if necessary. 2 months after that, they are told to come in and they will be refunded 100% of their money.
Turns out the Glocks on the blue label program are made in Austria, not assembled in GA. Same glock, just different manufacture point.
Those Glocks are not California Legal, only because it does not have the Symra GA on it, It only says Austria. Those have not been California approved. It all comes down to a stupid engraved stamp.
So that whole process took about 4 months. Now is that true about the Symra GA vs Austria? I am not sure, but that is what they were told by the Gun store they did the order at.

I have zero issues paying an extra 100 bucks more than a LEO.
Have you seen some of the starting salaries some of these kids are expected to live on?
And being in a sales manager position for a 100mm corporation. If a distributor of mine violated a distribution agreement (LGS/LEO program) I would cut them off as a distributor, they loose $$$ and secondary traffic in their store for one regular joe to buy into the program? For sure they wouldn't risk it.

Sounds like someone really failed the OP at explaining WHY it is that they could not sell the gun to him. I can't in all honesty say I might not have been miffed as well, and I have purchased a glock through the blue label program. Most shops I know that may stock LE guns do so subtly or without much fanfare so that they do not tick off those who do not qualify for the discount. It is all in the care, or lack there of that the customer gets.

As this thread proves there is a fair bit of myth and misunderstanding involved in all of this.

Another example of this is the Remington police shotguns; talk to a shop that does not have a relationship with a distributor that carries them and they are verboten, rare, special or whatever. Talk to a shop that does and they ask you how many you want to buy unless it's one under 18 inches in which case you have to do NFA paper on it. And there are plenty of people in shops, gun shows or on the street that will INSIST that the police guns are somehow harder to get or restricted.

What is even funnier is the fact some will insist that the blue label glocks are somehow better....

Oh and Zero problem here with cops getting a discount on their gear. Guess what.. your vet gets their dog food at a discount, your mechanic likely gets his tools cheaper than you or I and when was the last time anyone in congress paid for a meal on their own? The list goes on. Anyone on the list of canidates for the glock program deserves it in my opinion.

Last edited:
The LEOs around here make some serious $$. With OT and details they can easily make 6 figures. I look at the discounts as just another benefit. What I don't understand is why firefighters get a discount. I'm pretty sure a glock will not put out a fire

Good question

Good Question. Yes they don't put out fires, most firefighters do not carry. The discount was not from the store, it was directly from Glock. It specified Police, Fire and Vets. The sales rep brought the information to a station. Why, they include firefighters I don't know. All I know is that was directly from Glock. I did not take advantage of it, the 2 that did in the long run got nothing. Due to the firearms not being certified in California.

CarbineKid said:
. . . . What I don't understand is why firefighters get a discount. I'm pretty sure a glock will not put out a fire
No, it won't, but meth labs explode fairly easily. Also, firefighters are dispatched to a lot of things that don't necessarily include fires, such as auto accidents. Firefighters don't have any control over where they'll be dispatched.

Glock made a decision to offer the discount to all sorts of folks, including police, firefighters, EMTs, court staff.

The gun store I worked at in college (AR) had a guy that would come in, buy a gun, fill out paper work, and then say,"I'll be back in 5 days." He had a very common name lol. When I lived in Iowa you had to get a gun permit, not like a ccw, that took 5 days but that took care of the hassle of waiting for each individual gun.

1hogfan83, why 5 days? Does AR have a waiting period that I don't know about? :confused:

Edit: never mind. It's early and I didn't catch the snag with the "common name."

Back