My first Weatherby

230gr???!!! :eek:

May as well tow an 8 inch Paladin to the firing line!! :D

I've been waiting to see the terminal ballistics on another fence post from your Weatherby... ;)

Do you think I'm pretty?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Both my rifle and I are happy the SHV is back on.:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
My 300 weatherby magnum project has been nagging at me every time I open the safe; while it shoots well enough it pounded both the vanguard and B&C stocks hard enough that the action screws always came loose after a magazine or two worth of cartridges, no matter how hard I torqued the screws or applied red loktite. Part of this I know is because I decided to free float the barrel which is a very thin sporter 2 profile, my guess is free-floated it must be flexing quite a bit.

I scored an MDT LSS XL as my "last resort" to try and really get the action anchored solidly. I also finally got a throw lever for my SHV scope--but in the process blocked out my level so I'll have to rearrange that.

attachment.php

I think the foreend has enough room for the barrel to flex all it wants.:D

attachment.php

The only issue I encountered was MDT's AICS magazine would jam the cartridges because the feed lips wouldn't let go of the rim of the cartridge--a few minutes of trimming with the dremel and all is well. All up weight is only 9 lbs!

Attachments

• IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Got one 4 shot group at 345 yds and another at 350 yds using the 230 vld loads I tried above just to see how the rifle functions. So far everything is rock solid and no signs of the screws budging, happy about that. :)

Not sure why I pulled a flier in each of the groups as I really did feel each shot was a repeat of the last, otherwise the groups would have been pretty decent. Yes, I know it's lame, but I tossed them out. : )

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• test 230 vld.jpg
    test 230 vld.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 40
  • test 230 vld2 .jpg
    test 230 vld2 .jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 43
Back