My first Weatherby

I don't think shooting Wby ever gets old. I got my first one 1976, 7Wby out of custom shop.

stagpanther, good looking rifle.

Last edited:
I don't think shoot Wby ever gets old. I got my first one 1976, 7Wby out of custom shop.

stagpanther, good looking rifle.
Thanks--I just got back from starting the break-in, I'm still amazed at this rifle, the felt recoil is virtually non-existent compared to the carbon accumarks without a brake that I've shot, I doubt it's even as much as the 6.5 and 6 creedmoors I have.:eek: I was shooting at 196 yds and it was very gusty with 30+ mph winds, but I can see that the excellent accuracy potential is there, but I can also see that high degree of skills and technique will be needed to get that consistency on a repeatable basis.

I couldn't help myself--here she is in her Bell and Carlson livery. Fit was perfect.

attachment.php

Oh--and the B&C stock weighs one pound less than the stock stock!:eek::)

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Deformation from barrel movement on the nose of the stock the rifle came with. This is as-delivered, before I fired it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 318
I'm kinda surprised you didn't go with the 338-378 Weatherby.

Definitely like the bronze and new stock! :cool:

Ps.
It's still a Howa though... ;)

Grice Gun Shop has "closeout" Weatherby Mark V TacMark in 338-378 for $2495. :eek:
Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 6.5-300 for $1599.
Special make-up Mark V in 6.5-300 with B&C stock, stainless 26" barrel with blued flutes & muzzlebrake for $1499.

Just say'n. :D

Last edited:
I got this direct from Weatherby, all-up costs delivered was a about a grand, and the B&C stock added another $285, so I'm still happy with that. It's a lightweight fluted barrel and great trigger, the only thing I'm not sure about is how easy it will be to replace the barrel when the time comes--doesn't look like something I can do myself. My break-in loads are "light for caliber" 165 gr custom comp loads--my first serious for grouping cartridges I have lined up for development are going to be 200.2 Berger hybrids. be interesting to see if the felt recoil goes up significantly.

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly ( kinda in doubt with my Oldstimers), barrel replacement should be the same as a Mauser, or Rem 700.
Barrel in barrel vise, action wrench and a 3lb hammer.

Just recommend getting your barrel "short chambered". You need to get a finish reamer & headspace gages. Not hard to do by any means.

Only real difference is your not able to set the headspace, then tighten the nut.

You screw the barrel on & finish ream the last few thoundths to set the headspace afterwards.
Take the bolt out, use a 3/8" rachet extension put on backwards to reach through, lube the reamer, do a few turns, clean & check with gages, repeat.

Takes a little time, but fairly easy & straightforward.

When you screw your new barrel on, you shouldn't be able to close the bolt fully on the go gage.

Thanks for that--I'll have to look that up. So what you're really doing is finishing the chamber length when the barrel is already mounted to the receiver? I'd be nervous about using a hand tool.

Pouring rain so I did the first loads to test after I finish with the break-in regimen. Here's the 200.2 hybrid next to it's "little brother" 180 nosler AB in 300 win mag.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 154
Only real difference is your not able to set the headspace, then tighten the nut.

You screw the barrel on & finish ream the last few thoundths to set the headspace afterwards.
Take the bolt out, use a 3/8" rachet extension put on backwards to reach through, lube the reamer, do a few turns, clean & check with gages, repeat.

Takes a little time, but fairly easy & straightforward.

When you screw your new barrel on, you shouldn't be able to close the bolt fully on the go gage.

Doing a Howage, or Remage means that it's threaded back further on the barrel & using the Savage nut system.

Wait...

You've been working on other peoples rifles and are scared of handtools?! :eek:

Egads!

You've been working on other peoples rifles and are scared of handtools?!
I've never hand-reamed a chamber!
Doing a Howage, or Remage means that it's threaded back further on the barrel & using the Savage nut system.
They make their own nut which is not interchangeable with savage's. Presumably this means I can install and set the barrel's headspace in the same way you do a savage's. (?)

Lol!
If you can set headspace, you can finish ream a chamber.
It's not like your defusing a bomb.
Just takes time & patience.
It's just another handtool.

And yes, the Howage barrel headspaces same as a Savage.

4140, or SS, shouldn't matter as long as your reamer is sharp & well lubricated.
It is still a steel your reaming.

I'd be more worried if it were a soft metal like aluminium, or brass.
Way too easy to over do it then.

You're more skilled than me, I do not have the confidence that I personally could do a good job of it. Besides, McGowen has always produced stellar barrels for me to the specs I want, I have confidence they will do the job right for me.:)

More skilled? No, i wouldn't say that.

I've been turning wrenches on things since my dad had to help hold me over the fender of the car to change the waterpump.

First time i used a reamer was a few years ago to AI my Stevens 200 in 7mm-08.

McGowen, eh?
Guessing your still single then.. :D

Man have i chosen the wrong path in my career! :rolleyes:

McGowen, eh?
Guessing your still single then..
LOL For more reasons than just them. Seriously, they will do just about anything I ask them to within reason (well, there was the one failed attempt at getting a blowback 9x25 Dillon carbine barrel made, but I haven't given up on that yet, maybe you can make me one?):D:D

Last edited:
Back