My First Pistol M&P Shield 9 mm

When my brother-in-law was visiting us for Thanksgiving, he got word by phone that he had won one in a raffle back home. He mentioned it about three times a day for the rest of his stay to needle me. (We razz each other a lot - great guy.) He has had nothing bad to say about his, and I have to admit that the price was right - he won it with a $5 raffle ticket.

Welcome to the US and pistol ownership!

The Shield seems like a nice little gun, though I have no personal experience with them.

I do have a recommendation for your second pistol. get a decent .22LR.

Something you can shoot enough, cheaply enough, to build your skill as a pistol shot.

Plus, they're just FUN!

Everything doesn't have to be a defense gun. Since you've already got the serious covered, get something for fun, and practice. The better you learn to shoot a .22, the better you'll shoot everything else.

Good Luck!
I'd agree with the .22 recommendation and suggest the M&P 22 compact, as it's almost identical in dimensions to the Shield and will be more consistent for your training.

I have a Walther PPQ in both 9mmand .22 and it helps a ton with training.

One thing I notice on the gun is that the slide lock in very stiff to release.

I almost never use them and find them mostly useless. Just rack the slide back a bit. If the gun has an empty mag pop it down and rack it.

Back