My First Pistol M&P Shield 9 mm

I can drop the slide from the release on mine but it's tough to do. Racking the slide is way easier. I also find it easier to grab the slide from the front rather than the serrations at the back.

Tony

Yeah, I rack the slide also. The biggest problem I had was the magazine springs were incredibly stiff initially. They ease up with use but were really hard to load in the beginning. This is a fine pistol.

I agree about the mag springs. I took mine apart and cut 2 coils off each of the mag springs. It doesn't seem to have hurt anything by doing this...

I also bought a spare 8 round mag. The grip feels too small without it...

Tony

Congrats, but thought you have to be a citizen to be able to purchase a gun... am I wrong?
A green card holder can purchase firearms and ammunition. ... However, legal permanent residents aka green card holders are not considered nonimmigrants under the ATF regulations. Green card holders are permitted to buy and purchase firearms and ammunition.

From the 'regs'..

Yeah, I rack the slide also. The biggest problem I had was the magazine springs were incredibly stiff initially. They ease up with use but were really hard to load in the beginning. This is a fine pistol.

I just got back from shooting this for the first time. I took a two hour one on one firearms course at a local range. The instructor was amazing. Almost 40 years as a police officer, 10 of those as a chief. Involved in several shootouts. Was an amazing experience. I learned a lot.

Anyhow to your point, I loaded my 8 round magazine twice by hand. First time I could only get 7 in. Second time I got 8. Then the instructor went and grabbed a Maglula magazine loader. I bought one from the range on the way out. Absolutely necessary IMO.

Congrats, but thought you have to be a citizen to be able to purchase a gun... am I wrong?

Basically the only things citizens can do that green card holders can't is vote, run for office and serve on a jury.

I plan on applying for my citizenship in 2 years and 9 months when I am eligible. Really want to serve on a jury. ;)

First off Congrats on your Green card for the Ol' US of A!

You cannot go wrong with a Shield..

I have the original version in 9mm
Talon Rubber Grips, Aegis Armory Shield Hybrid Holster.

I also converted one of my 8 round magazines to a 10 round magazine using MagGuts Spring/Follower kit.

Can you post a picture of your gun with the 10 round and another with the 8? I am wondering how much longer the magazine is and how it looks.

Can you post a picture of your gun with the 10 round and another with the 8? I am wondering how much longer the magazine is and how it looks.
According to the website, the 10-rd spring kit makes the mag 1/4 of an inch (0.25 inches) longer than a standard 8-rd mag. basically insignificant in terms of appearance..

Welcome to the USA SPatC, nice of you to join the rest of us. Enjoy your Shield and shooting on the range. By now you know what you have been missing out on for years.

As far as the Shield, I do not own one myself, but I know several guys that carry them on a regular basis. I'M a Glock 26 guy as far as small carry 9MM's, but as time goes on I have thought about buying a Shield to give my time tested Glock 26 a rest from time to time.

I just got back from shooting this for the first time. I took a two hour one on one firearms course at a local range. The instructor was amazing. Almost 40 years as a police officer, 10 of those as a chief. Involved in several shootouts. Was an amazing experience. I learned a lot.

Anyhow to your point, I loaded my 8 round magazine twice by hand. First time I could only get 7 in. Second time I got 8. Then the instructor went and grabbed a Maglula magazine loader. I bought one from the range on the way out. Absolutely necessary IMO.
I've only had my Shield about a year, so maybe it gets better, but my magazines are still unbelievably stiff. It's still a bear to get that last round in, and I often load my magazines weeks before I find time to go to the range.

Kudos on getting some honest-to-goodness instruction. It sounds like you had a great time and learned lots.

I'm temped to get one of the +2 kits but it cost as much as a new 8 round mag. Since I already carry a spare, I'm going to gamble on not needing it...

Tony

My first purchase was a Shield 9mm. After 1,000 rounds I could use the slide lock to release the slide. Prior to that, it was very stiff.

I had previously tried out a well used rental Shield 9mm. It was so well used that you could just bump/tap the slide and it would go forward. So, I was surprised at how stiff my new Shield was when I first bought it.

Welcome to the US and nice choice on the Shield. My slide release is more of a slide lock - it really doesn't work very well, even after putting a lot of rounds through it. By comparison the release on my 2.0C is actually a release, so maybe the 2.0 Shields are better in that regard. Shield's are neat little guns that carry great and shoot really well for the size. I don't have extended mags so when I carry mine I generally have it 7+1 with the 8 round spare in my pocket.

This is common on all M&P’s as they designed it to be a slide stop and not a slide release, my shield, 40 pro, and 45 2.0 are all hard to drop the slide with the slide stop, and almost impossible if you’re trying to use the left hand side (right side of pistol). My glocks all wear extended slide stops that are very easy to drop the slide with,

dontcatchmany:

I'm curious why a stainless steel guide rod would make the slide easier to rack. The stock one is steel I believe?

Welcome to the US and pistol ownership!

The Shield seems like a nice little gun, though I have no personal experience with them.

I do have a recommendation for your second pistol. get a decent .22LR.

Something you can shoot enough, cheaply enough, to build your skill as a pistol shot.

Plus, they're just FUN!

Everything doesn't have to be a defense gun. Since you've already got the serious covered, get something for fun, and practice. The better you learn to shoot a .22, the better you'll shoot everything else.

Good Luck!

dontcatchmany:

I'm curious why a stainless steel guide rod would make the slide easier to rack. The stock one is steel I believe?

River251, I have no real idea, but I was desperate to make the gun work or throw it in the marsh behind the house. I read some reviews that sound like others of all ages and all physical sizes sand all types of health were having similar problems and came across the Stainless Steel Guide Rod and it has been exactly what I needed and I am pleased. The only problem I have had is shooting Blaser Aluminum 9mm through the Shield 40 with the 9mm barrel/Mags. But I had those problems with other 9mm and the same aluminum ammo. Now if I can find the original guide rod I may reinsert it and try it as a comparison.

The pre 2.0 Shields, including mine, had more than their share of problems but mine is now fixed and it pushed me to purchase the Shield 2.0 45...… and now I am contemplating a Compact 45.

Great choice. Good job getting some training. Guns are not hard, but they do require some basic knowledge on how to operate and some repetitions of practice to hone/maintain that skill.

Did the slide stop work easier with ammo in it?

The others suggesting the slingshot method know what they are talking about. It is a good method to learn most pistols, but keeping a similar manual of arms.

Enjoy. I really like my Shield with the thumb safety. If your grip feels odd or small, Hogue makes a sleeve that fits nicely and fills out the grip just a bit in all the right spots.

Next, find a range and set some goals about practice and learning. I like outdoor ranges best, but obviously that depends where you live.

I just picked up a new shield myself, really liking my gun.

One thing you may notice is that the 8 round mags can hang up a bit on your hand when you try to eject them.

I know I had some issue with it.

I bought the MAGFIX baseplate from Safety Solutions Academy and it completely fixed the issue.

I bought mine last year when they were going for $214 with the rebate. They're very easy to shoot for their size and capacity isn't bad either for what it is. It's easily one of the best concealed carry handguns on the market.

Back