My first large caliber rifle. Mosin Nagant! :D

didn't notice that you meant 8 inches on 100 yards. That's a lot! All the mosins that I've seen didn't have that problem. Is your mosin in good condition?

Is your mosin in good condition?

Yeap I went through a bunch of them with a bore light to find a good barrel, and the action is as smooth as a prom queen's thighs.

After cutting down the bottom of the rear sight, is shoots dern good.

The typical mosin shoots 6-8 in high at 100 yards using the 100 meter setting for a variety of reasons. First of all, if the Soviet soldier was told to aim at the belt of an enemy, he would have a chance of hitting the enemy from point blank range to 400 meters. I doubt during the heat of battle on the Eastern Front, a Soviet soldier had the time to readjust his sights.
Most of my Soviet mosins shoot around 6" high at 100 yards. My Finnish mosins usually shoot no more than 3" high at 100 yards on their lowest setting.

I'm very amazed that Remington does not offer core-lockt ammunition for this fine hunting cartridge!

Jack, I thought about that too, but they would probably have a hard time competing with all the cheap surplus ammo coming out of Russia and former Soviet satellites. The newly manufactured stuff from Russia is pretty cheap too.

Windex or ammonia

because Russian ammo tends to be very corrosive

I've been shooting a .303 enfield forever. Windex or 1:10 parts ammonia and water are the ticket for deactivating the corrosive mercury salts from old surplus ammo. Run it down the barrel once, wait 30 seconds, patch until dry, then hit the Hoppes #9. Hoppes won't clean corrosive ammo.

Corrosive ammo is not as bad as it sounds.

Welp, I passed on the Mosin bug.
I took a buddy up there to "just look."
He walked out with a rifle and two 20 round boxes. :)
Not just to go shoot!! :P

The "corrosive" term is misleading. The offending substance in a "corrosive" primer is potassium chloride (potassium salt, very similar to table salt.) It readily absorbs moisture, and when it does, it invites corrosion.

Potassium salt is water soluble. Water will remove it easily. Soap makes the water more effective at removing it. (Windex has soap in it.) Dish soap works just fine.

Soooooo, after you shoot, just swab the bore good with a water/soap solution, followed by the usual bore cleaner of your choice, and some good firearms oil.

Unless you have a pierced primer caused by a misadjusted firing pin, that crud won't be anywhere in the rifle except the chamber and the bore.

Think about this:
Russian or Soviet 7.62x54r ammunition has always been "corrosive". It's all that the Mosin Nagant rifles have ever fired. These rifles have survived quite well for up to a hundred and twenty years and dozens of wars.

Those Mosins are a lot of fun to shoot. Big boom, big muzzle flash, big kick. Lovable!

PLEASE make sure that you are able to shoot the military surplus will likely incounter light armor piercing rounds. the conversation i had with ammunationtogo.com-

Ryan DepoisterAmmunition to Go
can you let me know what all i need to order some 7.62x54R ammo from you. i was wanting 440rds - 7.62x54R Silver Tip Russian Military Ammo.

Ammunition to Go We have plenty of Silver Tip in stock, Ryan. You can place your order and have it shipped directly to your address. We also have original Russian Military 7.62x54R 148gr. steel core ammo, which is very high quality at a great price. The part number for that is ORIGRUSS754. Thanks!
Thursday at 2:18pm · Like

Ryan Depoister isn't the steel core rounds armor piercing?
Friday at 4:06pm · Like

Ammunition to Go This is considered a light penetrator round, but not a true AP round.
Friday at 4:41pm · Like

yes these are we was shooting threw 1/4 inch steel plates at 50 yards like butter.

Shooting High

Hello,

As for shooting high, you might check these out:

triplets.gif

Folks are seeming to like 'em.

Josh

I shot my Hungarian M-44 today at some watermelon at around 75yrds. I was shooting Bulgarian brass cased heavy ball and nailing the melons and several pieces of watermelon with no problem. Had a good time. My son is 12 and he shot it for the first time ever. I think he was a little nervous but after he shot it he was wanting to shoot it again. Those old guns are lots of fun.

They dont kick as much as my much lighter enfield. i figgured out an easy fix to smoothe the action up a little...if I can find that picture again.

Back