My first large caliber rifle. Mosin Nagant! :D

Hello, about that bayonet being hard to get on and off...The Russian regulations were to have them mounted on rifle at all times..There were no scabards issued..

Yeah, don't try to force your bayonet on to the rifle. You will probably not be able to get it off again. It is a super tight fit and the darn thing is not exactly easy to grab and wrestle off. On my Mosin, I used a small Swiss file to remove metal from the inside edges of the bayonet collar. I got it to the point where it fits rigidly on the muzzle and enables me to twist it to lock it on and unlock/twist off without a lot of effort.

My Mosin was made in 1943 as well. I bought it a few weeks ago and cleaned it all up last week. Here are some pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I took it out to the range to test fire it on Sunday. After 20 rounds, my shoulder was getting a bit tender. It got a little black and blue by that evening. I suppose next time I will wear more than a golf shirt or maybe invest in one of those rubber stock covers when I shoot it again. Nevertheless, it's a wonderful rifle and I am really happy with it. I am waiting for 440 round spam cans to go on sale again at the local department store. I plan to do a lot of shooting this summer.

Attachments

• Mosin2.jpg
    Mosin2.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG-20110516-00003.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00003.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 437
When I started shooting, the first one I shot was my M44. WOW it hurts when you hold it too tight :rolleyes:. 20 rounds and my shoulder was blue :eek:

After knowing how to handle it, I am able to put around 80-120 rounds through them before my shoulder gets tender. Don't be afraid, it eventually stops biting so hard.

And yes, people really do sell the rifle short. I have two of them, one of which that has undergone extensive surgery to turn it into a PU sniper variant (new scope, scope mount, stock, bolt turndown, freefloated barrel and triggerwork). It's a 1943 Izzy, the other one os a '34 Tula hex with a laminate stock.

So far, I have been able to manage 3 MOA from an improvised rest using Bulgarian surplus ammo. Using good clean Winchester FMJs (or maybe some 7N1 Russian) I wouldn't be surprised if it threw around one MOA.

I have currently reduced the trigger pull to approximately 3.5 pounds, so it's much more responsive than it looks :)

RedoneSVMN2.jpg

And the Tula. It has a bright bore, non-CAI import, beautiful bluing and was 75 dollars on GB (guy thought the toe splice was damage and repair :D)
TheTula1.jpg

Have fun with the Mosin Nagants, they're wonderful guns and can take a colossal beating and still function. And they really do look good when dressed up.

Last edited:
It's great having firearms that have history to them.
I cant get over how many people own them.
I'll try to file the bayonet down so I can put it on. :)
It'll be a great blast.
How much do the FMJ's go for?

Dry firing is normally bad....
Is it okay to do with this weapon?
And what is a CPM GSM clinic?

There are few guns that can't be dryfired, I don't know of any military rifle (excluding 22 trainers) that cant be dryfired. You certainly wont hurt a Mosin by dryfiring.

The purpose of the dummy rounds isn't because you can't dry fire, but to have some rounds to put in the stripper clips to practice loading. The Mosin is a stange creature when it comes to loading the stripper clips but with a bit of practice you can get pretty quick.

Just make some dummy rounds by taking the decapper out of the sizing die. sizing the case and insert a new bullet. I drill holes in the side of my case to make sure I don't screw up and load a loaded round.

CMP GSM Clinic The Main mission of the Civiliam Marksmanship Unit is to provide training to U.S Citizens, its been that way since Teddy Roosevelt started the program (then known as the DCM).

The GSM clinic instructs individuals marksmanship using vintage military rifles, it covers the fundamentals, positions, operating and sighing the rifles and how to compete in CMP GSM Games.

The CMP trains experienced instructors as Master Instructors for GSM or Garand, Springfield Military Games. Modern Military and Sporter Rimfire shooting also comes under the GSM. When one complete the clinic, he is then authorized to buy surplus military rifles (Garands) from the CMP. The individual also needs to be a member of a CMP Club and be a Citizen of the U.S.
Anybody know where I can find stripper clips at and for how much?

Cheaper Thin Dirt

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Sear...te=All+Products&num=15&q=mosin+stripper+clips

"I drill holes in the side of my case to make sure I don't screw up and load a loaded round."

My mom would need a better reason why theres a hole half the size of Texas in my wall. lol

I dont get what you mean...
Could I just use casings?
What do you mean by taking out the decapper?
English please. :)
I'm still new to the gunsmithing lingo. :)

hey, cool gun!!! And congratulations to you!

I LOVE shooting my mosins, I have an m44 and an M91/30. They are so much fun to shoot. Nice solid action, lots of history, lots of power, lots of fire and flame from the barrel, lots of noise!

Sure they aren't sub MOA rifles, but they're pretty decent on accuracy for their age!

I've never seen anyone shooting a Mosin-Nagant that didn't have a big huge GRIN on their face

Enjoy it for the rest of your life comrade :)

I've read recently that the gun is more accurate with the bayonet on it?

Is that a myth? Or does it really shoot better with a bayonet on it?

I'm leaning towards the fact that it's a myth.

its not that they shoot better its that they were originally zeroed with it on. when you take the weight off the barrel you will shoot off just a bit. the first time you take it out you can adjust the sights if you dont plan on shooting with the bayonet.

you need to use a brass punch for the front sight and elevation is the rear sight. shot it first, each rifle is different and it might not need any adjustment.

The problem is most Mosins shoot high. (Mine shot 8 inches high when the rear sight was bottomed out.
Measure from the front sight to the rear sight to get the sight radius. Divide that number by 3600 (number of inches in 100 yards). That should be somewhere in the neighborhood of .0061. That means for every .0061 your move the sight, it moves the impact 1 inch at 100 yards.

Kind of hard to add to the front sight, but you can lower the rear sight after its bottomed out.

The slider moves up and down the ladder to adjust for elevation. The sight base allows the rear sight to go higher as you move it up.

No if you were to take the sight off the sight base (one pin holding it on) and flip it over, you can grind, mill or file the bottom of the slider to allow it to set lower on the base.

Like I said, I figured mine to be .0061 per MOA, so I stuck it in the milling machine, milled .0488 of the bottom of the slider. (8 X .0061 = .0488). I put it back together and found it right on at 100 yards when the sight was set at the 100 mark. On when set at 200, 300 etc etc also.

If you grind or file the sight make sure its flat and even, don't want your sight to set cockeyed on the rifle.

Fixing the sights in this manner does not disqualify the rifle from AS ISSUED CMP Games.

FMJ ammo prices are pretty reasonable. At my local department store, I can get Wolf 7.62x54R for $12.99 per 20 rounds. They also sell spam cans of 440 rounds for $99.99 regular price. I've seen the sale price for $89.99 on that. If you shop around online, you can find good sources as well. For example: Aim Surplus.

The problem is most Mosins shoot high. (Mine shot 8 inches high when the rear sight was bottomed out.
Measure from the front sight to the rear sight to get the sight radius. Divide that number by 3600 (number of inches in 100 yards). That should be somewhere in the neighborhood of .0061. That means for every .0061 your move the sight, it moves the impact 1 inch at 100 yards.

There's a very logical explenation for this. Most of the world works with scientific units, for length being meters...

100 yars is less than 100 meters, so it's pretty normal you shoot too high.

That dog don't hunt.

If the 7.62X54R round is sighted in at 100 meters, and you decide to shoot at 100, you're gonna be about 0.15 inches high. Most Mosins shoot about 6 to 8 inches high.

There are a couple theories about why, some say its because the Mosin was designed to be fired with the bayonet on, some say its because soldiers are taught to aim at the belt buckle and it would hit the chest are.............I don't know why. I just know just about every Mosin I've seen shoots 6-8 inches high. The Meter vs Yard deal isn't gonna make that much difference.

I do know the CMP doesn't allow rifles to be fired in their matches with bayonets attached.

Anybody made a 650 yd shot? I've read thats their max. effective range.

Found this video a while back. 1000 yards with a P/U Mosin, although he mentions he floated the barrel, glass bedded the reciever, etc. In my opinion, pretty impressive.

Sweet. Thanks for your help.
Hopefully she wont need too much work.

Capflyboy, I spent about 3 hours disassembling, cleaning, lubing, and reassembling mine. This included the bayonet work. It's a real pain in the butt removing all the 50+ year old cosmoline. It was packed into every nook and cranny on my rifle. I suggest you do it outside or in your garage since it is smelly and messy work. Get a decent .30 caliber rifle cleaning kit. I also used a 9mm bore brush to clean the chamber.

The instructions I got with the rifle are marginal and confusing. If you are unsure about how to disassemble your Mosin, do a search on YouTube. There are lots of good videos on there that will guide you. All-in-all, it does not require rocket science. The trickiest part is figuring out how to put the bolt back together properly and checking the firing pin to make sure it protrudes within the safe range.

After you shoot your Mosin, make sure you clean it soon afterwards because Russian ammo tends to be very corrosive. I use Hoppes #9 to dissolve the powder residue.

I've read that hunters in former Soviet states such as Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria have been using the Mosin for sometime. This rifle has been knocking over red stags, bears, and wild boars without any fuss at all.

I'm very amazed that Remington does not offer core-lockt ammunition for this fine hunting cartridge!

Good shooting to you.

Jack

Back