My first contact with Colt Python

Actually you already can buy a new 4" Python 2020 at msrp online. Not the 6" yet. I like them both but all my S&W and other revolvers are 4". That kind of motivates me to go for the 6" Python when the price stabilizes. In any case I probably would be better to go to a gun show and compare the feeling of a 4 vs 6 in my hand.

"I have an old Python, while a thing of beauty, the old S&W 586 shoots and handles a lot better than the Python, the trigger on my 586 is much better than the Python, D/A on a Colt is terrible compared to the 586. I have a late model 686 plus. Not the greatest revolver that I own. S&W quality has suffered a lot over the last 40 or so years. I've not handled one of the new Pythons, thinking I need a 4" Python when things settle down, if they do settle down before I die(76 years young)." (Pete2)

I just handled a new 2020 Python today, 4.25". Saw it on Gunbroker last night, realized it was at the local gunshop here in Maine, so I drove up today to buy it. There was a bid on it before I walked in, so not wanting to overpay due to a bidding war, I just looked this one over.

I have shot older Pythons before and agree with Pete2, my 586-3 is a far better shooter. But examining this one today... damn. Colt got this right. I always prefered S&W before. But this Python? It was hidden behind the counter, not on display, so I had to ask to see it, brand new, in the plastic, still smells like the Colt factory, beautiful finish, wood was perfect.

Very difficult not to overpay on Gunbroker at the push of a button on my cell phone and walk out of the shop with it, so I let the winning bidder have it. Once he bid, the shop is committed to the GB sale, so I couldn't snag it outright with the cash in my wallet. The winner WILL be pleased! One sweet Colt 6 shooter is coming his way. It is perfect. No foolish lock hole either. I'm impressed. Better than the old Pythons. Yep! :D

I'm on the list for the next one in and at MSRP too! ;)

Last edited:
I sold all my pythons and went back to s&w's.
I didn't like pulling the cyl release back. wore my thumb out. I preferred to push it forward as on s&w's. and, I could keep the bbl downrange better when reloading.
python pretty....s&w functional.

Shurshot... I am sure you made the right decision not to overpay paying gunbroker price. I had a Pyton at msrp + $15 shipping in my basket last night and then deleted it because this a mass produced revolver and prices for the 4.25" should go down. 6" I am not sure. The Walking Dead show will run till 2023.

My initial understanding of the Colt Python was while I was in college. As a classmate was given a Python upon graduation & securing a job interview with the FBI .
Skip a decade and my next door neighbor ( my buisiness neighbor) owned and operated a Beer Dist. next to my Tavern. That Beer neighbor had a 6 in. Blue Python for his businesses protection gun.
I waited a year to get my own , as I thought I had plenty of guns at age 32. Seeing a nickeled 8 in. just delivered … I could not fill out the paperwork fast enough.
I scored mighty high in centerfire pistol competitions at my Sportsman’s Gun club. Just using the Colt a few times.
Only saw one other just like it. Wishing that I bought that one too.

I'll gladly pay MSRP for a Python. Just not the current GB prices. I can wait a few weeks or months. Back in the 70's people paid several hundred over MSRP for S&W 29's, thanks to Dirty Harry.

Now my Colt SAA... THAT one I happily paid a couple hundred over MSRP for it. :D A brand new Colt one I found on GB a couple years back at an Authorized Colt Dealer... one of the last of the Lew Horton distributed Colt's. Yep, I gladly paid extra. Otherwise I may have had to wait several years on a waiting list due to very limited annual production. Every situation is different.

But from what I saw and held yesterday, these new Pythons are worth every penny, regardless of a couple hundred bucks either way. Just a spectacularly beautiful weapon.

And no, once I get it, it will NOT be a safe queen. Going to shoot it and carry it once I find a good leather IWB holster made for the 4.25" barrel.

Last edited:
Don't forget to add the 3% or more CC fees some will charge, as well as shipping / Insurance and the FFL transfer fee at your local dealer. It all adds up.

And sales tax, lest we forget that... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Walking Dead show will run till 2023.
The Walking Dead ended in 2019 and Rick Grimes, who carried the Python, had not been on the show for at least a couple of seasons before that. You may be thinking of the spin-off Fear the Walking Dead.

The Colt Python has been a popular revolver in movies and TV for decades and the end of The Walking Dead hasn't put a dent in the Python's popularity. The gun has been in a lot of movies and TV series over the years. Movies include Magnum Force, American Gangster, Marlowe and others. David Soul carried the Python as Starsky in the TV series Starsky and Hutch.

The truth is that the Colt Python is the sexiest revolver ever made and it will sell reasonably well for that reason alone. Me, I have three of the "older" model Pythons and have shot them only sparingly. I got my 2020 Python with the intention of shooting it a lot more. Unfortunately, Covid hit both .38 special and .357 magnum ammo hard (prices are still very high), so I haven't shot it as much as I intended. But, the sun is starting to peek through on ammo supplies and prices.

Don't forget the early 70's Peckinpah film "The Getaway", with Steve McQueen... the bad guy "Rudy", has a 6" Blue Python, a beautiful weapon, that he treats like a lead pipe, jamming the muzzle in the dirt like a cane, etc.

If it's not television, then I simply don't understand why 6" is so much popular and pricey than the 4". I called a bunch local gun shops this week to find out what the prices are on 4" 2020 Pythons and they vary from a "recently sold" for $999.00 to $3,300, roughly $2,100 on average (Florida). It may be just inflation factor. Other guns are overpriced as well. Ammo situation is extremely frustrating. I have my old supplies but any new calibers I need like 6.5 creedmoor are just too expensive to shoot.

The Colt Python has been a popular revolver in movies and TV for decades.

"A Man Called Hawk" starring Avery Brooks (1988-1989). He carried an 8" Python. Those four vent holes were instantly distinctive.

OK... I finally brought home today my first Colt revolver - Python 2020 4.25". I love it. But after comparing it side-by-side to my S&W 686 plus, I think S&W is a better revolver. It is still nice to have a Colt, of course.

Can you detail why you prefer the 686 over your new Colt? Just curious, hence me asking. Trigger? Balance? Grips? Sights? Accuracy?

It looks more simple/classic ,feels more simple to operate, more ergonomic and better balanced in my hand. I have shot S&W and have not shot my Python yet. That may make me change my opinion, of course. The wooden grip that comes with the Python is actually better for me - simply because I prefer wooden grips - but I can easily install a good wooden grip on my 686 when I am ready. As a safe queen, I agree with most people - Python wins.

All my revolvers - 686, 586 and Ruger Redhawk .44 mag are 4". I also noticed that most long-time gun collectors (30 years in my case) prefer 4" barrel revolvers. Is it, among other reasons, because there is no significant difference in accuracy between 4" and 6"?

There is no practical difference in the accuracy between 4" and 6" barrels. Longer barrels can be easier to shoot (aim) accurately due to the greater sight radius they offer but they are not intrinsically more accurate. Imo, there are two main reasons why 6" barrels can be a better choice for many over an otherwise equivalent 4" one:

(1) A longer barrel is popular for hunting when size can matter in terms of gaining more velocity and affording a better platform for optics, at least in terms of balance. In most hunting situations, a longer barrel won't compromise portability or handling properties.

(2) When shooting offhand with one hand in the slow-fire stage in Bullseye matches, most competitors opt for a 6" barrel when using a revolver because it "hangs" better for a longer period of time as the trigger is being squeezed in the sa mode at a target fifty yards distant. Back in the day, when revolvers with open sights ruled the range, almost no one was shooting with barrels any shorter than six inches.

Back