My ALASKAN friends…..

it's a guy on a bicycle being chased by a bear...

what hard data is this?
where is the 308/30-06 which failed to save this guy's life?
where is the 8mm which did save his life?
this is just getting obsurd.

I'm going to go full troll here and quote your second post on this forum just under 2 weeks ago.
Been reading and lurking for bit, thought I might have something to add especially to hunters looking to come up to Alaska or for mauser firearms. I hunt up here in Alaska….I'm newly retired, and hope to learn as well as contribute here on the site. Thanks….

obviously, judging from this thread you have no interest in learning anything. your only interest appears to be what you intend to contribute to anyone planning on trips up to Alaska regardless of how flawed your information is and how many people are telling you that it is flawed. here over the last couple days you have had so many people telling you the same thing, you can't keep them straight and appear to think they are all the same member.

every piece of data that you have posted,
1. bear information with little or no animal weight and method of harvest info given-to strengthen your claims of 650LB black bears, the 3rd largest taken was 375LBs.

2. field and stream magazine opinion piece-to scientifically prove that 323s are more lethal than 30 calibers.

3. unarmed guy running from bear that was scared off by pistol fire- to prove that he would not have been saved by a 30 caliber rifle

not one thing you've posted as proof is irrefutable, and most is almost completely irrelevant or entirely unusable as a credible data source.

EDIT: perhaps you are unsure of what credible sources are. here is something that took me about 2.5 minutes to find from a credible source.

Gunshot Wounds: Bullet Caliber Is Increasing, 1998-2003.
Authors:
Adibe, Obinna O.
Caruso, Robert P.
Swan, Kenneth G.
Source:
American Surgeon. Apr2004, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p322-325. 4p. 2 Charts, 2 Graphs.

Abstract:
In 1999, Caruso reported data from the level 1 trauma center in Newark, New Jersey, documenting "... an ominous trend toward the use of larger caliber firearms in accidents, homicides and suicides." Those data were derived from measurements of bullets removed from our trauma patients and submitted to the Surgical Pathology laboratory from 1981 through 1997. We further document this trend with measurements of similar source bullets from 1998 through 2002. During the same time, we recorded mortality among gunshot wound victims treated at our trauma center. Bullets submitted to surgical pathology during the years 1998 through 2002 were measured with a millimeter rule to determine caliber or transverse diameter. A total of 367 bullets were studied in this 5-year period. Bullets deformed beyond measurability (∼22%) and shotgun pellets (<5%) were excluded from our study. Bullet calibers were expressed in terms of mean plus or minus standard error (x ± SE). Mortality figures were derived from analysis of medical records concerning the outcomes all victims of gunshot wounds (E 922, E 965) treated at our hospital during the years studied and expressed as percentages. Linear regression of mean bullet caliber over time was performed, and analysis of variance was used to assess statistical significance of apparent differences in mortality. Bullet caliber continued to increase from 8.47 ± 0.22 to 9.16 ± 0.15 mm during the 5-year observation period. Linear regression reveals R = 0.9649, P < 0.01. Mortality ranged from 4.7 per cent to 10.7 per cent but the differences were not significant (P > 0.20). These data support a continued trend toward the use of larger caliber firearms in accidents, homicides, and suicides. Mortality does not change during this time and presumably because of improvements in treatment, from resuscitation to definitive surgery and its convalescence.

this study conducted in hospitals over a 5 year period with human victims seems to indicate that there was no correlation between the increase in caliber used and the increase in mortality and everything to do with placement of the shots, although advances in medical treatments may have scewed results.

Last edited:
Alright, folks. We can disagree. We can argue.

But the petty bickering and name-calling stops now. If your post was deleted, consider it a warning.

Left for the weekend to hang with friends and it looks like I missed some things! I'm not really trying to start a fight here again. However, there are some things I'd like to get out.

1) I'm not against the 8mm the OP uses nor am I for the .30-06. Both cartridges are so close that it doesn't matter which one you use they work for the same game animals very well. I just don't happen to own an 8 mm anything at the moment, but I've owned them in the past.

2) Using only SD as an indicator for bullet penetration is an outdated concept. Because of todays better constructed bullets and higher weight retentions after impact and deformation, SD doesn't mean as much as it used to when it comes to bullet penetration. Is SD irrelevant? In my opinion no, but I'll trade off some SD for a better constructed bullet that delivers a faster velocity and higher energy at point of impact.

3) There are times when a "big" bore does give the advantage to the hunter as long as said hunter can shoot it. 8 mm cartridges don't fall into the "big bore" category by any standard I've ever. If it ever becomes necessary or preferred for me to hunt with a big bore I have that covered in the form of a .375 Ruger.

I found the discussion prior to this somewhat boring. I will say that I haven't hunter Alaska. I have killed many deer, a bear, and been along when many more were killed. The key to a good shot is bullet placement.
This is thread I will not revisist.:rolleyes:

Funny thread.....

BTW.....hellow all.....1st post......normal on 24 and AR

.323 is more deadly then .308 or even vice versa

No Alaska experience for me but I've killed animals from Colorado to Africa

All with .308 or smaller dia bullets 150 grains and less

Elk
Pronghorn
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Wild Hogs
Kudu
Blue and Black Wildebeest
Waterbuck
Gemsbock
Blesbok
Impalas
Bushbuck
Warthog
Vervet Monkeys
Rock Hyrax
Prairie Dogs
Coyote............ect

All fell in plenty.....all with light but well built Accubonds

The 8mm might be fine for some but I would be just fine with my 30-06 from now on

If I wanted a stouter load I would run up to a 180 Accubond or even a TTSX

No flies on the 338-06 with 200 grainers of sufficient construction

Wow! Somehow I was tricked into thinking this had something to do with the " Which is better, the .30-30 or the .32 Winchester special?" thread. I'm leaning toward the .32 special. Has that thread been jacked or what.

Please don't let the comments from one resident of this fine state cloud anyones opinion about Alaska. Some of us happen to be really nice friendly people! :D

FWIW, the only moose hunt I ever went on about 9 years ago I had a Remington Classic that was indeed chambered for 8mm Mauser (the gunshop had mislabeled it a 8mm Mag). Failed to see any moose that hunt though.

I later sold that rifle back to the gunshop, as I did not follow thru with my plans to reload for 8mm. Whenever I do get around to buying a rifle geared towards hunting, its probably going to be a 30'06. I have no desire to get a bigbangenloudenboomer.

Don't worry we won't.About his second post he went on ignore.The hardest thing for me to believe is the title of the thread:D

I've always believed that any of the turn of the century military cartridges would do fine with medium or large game.

Even the 8mm Lebel would do and it's French;)

Even the 8mm Lebel would do and it's French

I don't know how well they shoot, but they seem to hoist a white flag better than any other!

Seriously, arguing the superiority of 8mm Mauser to 30-06 is about like arguing which of the Mowry twins is better looking.

Alaska is larger than many medium sized countries. Nothing is typical in all of it.

I hunted black bears in Alaska in '89 and '91 in Prince William Sound, and outside of Ketchikan. My brother's 150 lb bears were typical for those areas. My 300 lb was considered very large for that area. Perhaps before I die I can go back to hunt the area where those 500lb black bears are typical and common. The people we consulted with for our do-it-yourself hunts did not seem to know about those areas at the time.

Suggestion as to today's weaponry for subsistence hunting: Go to the Hunt forum at TheHighRoad.org and check out threads by "caribou". That's Chip from the TV show "Life Below Zero". You can search for the threads that he's started. He also has a long thread in the General forum.

Multitudes of photos.

Oughta be pleasing for the Mini-14 folks as well as the k31 afficianados. :D

Because 30-06 and 8mm rifles are just too much of a pain in the butt to carry.

Bear_zpscaa4c515.jpg

Back