My 1911 fund just became a lever gun!

Took the rifle apart for the first time--quite easy to do following PeePaw's directions for the wild west trigger happy install. The only thing missing from the video, I thought, was a warning about how sharp the receiver cut-out is where the trigger plate fits--it's as a sharp as a knife blade on my 336. There were a few signs of rough finish and some "chatter" here and there--but nothing out of the ordinary as far as I could tell. trigger should arrive and go in tomorrow--should make an immediate difference in accuracy (or leaves me with one less excuse).

Wild west trigger came in today and the install and rifle reassemble was pretty easy--also took the mag tube apart to see if anything might be caught up inside there--everything looked fine.

The trigger is worth the effort--though unless it's made out of superexoticconium I have no idea what makes it so expensive--but I guess you have to pony up to get the improvement--which does seem to be very significant. Hardly any creep at all--the flop is gone completely--and my guess the trigger is breaking (without my having done anything at all other than installing the trigger) at about 3.75 to 4 lbs--not bench laser-shooting--but perfect for hunting IMO. I'm sure I could get that down with some hammer spring and sear work--but so far I like the feel of exactly where it is. I would also like to get the WW big loop lever--but that also is a hefty-priced add-on and will have to wait a bit. The trigger was available in only silver or blue unfortunately--silver being the lesser of the evils IMO. Williams sights come in some time next week.

I viewed the sad video, stagpanther, and it only reminded me of the fallacy behind the slogan "Buy American". Though I am still a big proponent of buying American-made products whenever it's practical and economically feasible, I can't imagine a foreign company like Miroku ever letting something like the Marlin in the video leave their factory the first time, let alone three subsequent attempts by non-caring "craftsmen" to get it right.

On a more personal, admittedly subjective note, I always thought scopes "look" bad (pardon the pun) on traditional lever-action carbines-until I saw the Red Dot...:eek:

Earlier in this thread, I suggested you try a Williams receiver sight on your new Marlin. I think that's still good advice.

Back