My 1911 fund just became a lever gun!

So do you do a full disassemble as part of your cleaning?
I do.
But I know most people don't.

At an absolute minimum, I pull the lever, breech bolt, and ejector (so it doesn't run away or get jammed in something). ...But I'm a bit anal about keeping up with my Marlins, since most of them are oddballs or mutants assembled from parts and I like to keep an eye on them to make sure everything is 'marrying' together and staying timed properly. And even those that are fairly stock... I tear apart anyway. It's just habit, and I could probably do it with my eyes closed (I have four dedicated screwdrivers and three punches on the corner of my work bench, just for Marlin levers).

I'd feel very confident in wagering that at least 50% of Marlin 336s, 444s, and 1895s have never had the lever and bolt removed, let alone the other action and magazine parts. ...And, in my experience, about 20% of those that have been taken apart got boogered or Bubba'd in the process. :rolleyes:
(I buy those to build my mutants/FrankenMarlins. ;) ...But, even then, I've had rifles where the magazine tube, barrel bands, and/or sights were totally jacked; but the lever and action internals showed no evidence of having ever been touched or properly cleaned.)

The guys that have run into the issues with Remlin internals typically noticed the problem via:
1. Action cycling getting harder and harder, instead of smoothing out. (Or starting to catch in certain spots.)
2. An otherwise decent rifle suddenly starting to jam.
3. Metal shavings in the action.
4. Case head separations with previously known-good cases; or increasing bolt protrusion from the rear of the receiver (lever closed and latched); indicating increasing headspace.
5. Stripping the rifle to polish the internals before even firing it.

Or, option C: It never worked, right out of the box.
Much of my experience with Remlin parts comes from rifles that were bad from the factory, were not properly repaired when shipped back by the dealer, and Remington eventually told the dealer to sell it to a customer or 'eat the loss' (according to them). So, the brand new rifles get parted out to recoup at least some of the expense without killing their reputations.
(I just picked up two trigger plate assemblies and some other parts from two brand-new 336Ws that met those qualifications, and previously purchased a bunch of 1895 parts and some 336 parts from dealers in the same situation.)

I know I might be coming off as sounding like a bit of a Chicken Little, but that's not my intent.
As long as it works, it works.
Some of the Remlins are good. And even if I don't want to buy one, yet, they are getting better.
Just keep yours eyes peeled for changes in performance, at least for a couple hundred rounds.

After that, you'll know if it's a winner.

I will be taking mine apart to replace the trigger--I know I'm making excuses but that pull in the stock trigger makes it hard for me to keep the rifle steady through the shot.

Winter is my "build AR's time" and I haven't messed with the internals of a lever gun in years--though I did take apart my rossi 44 mag when I first got it (it started off grouping 12" at 50 yds). It has however been a reliable dandy shooter since I "operated" on it.

BTW--the owner's manual does say disassembly should be done as part of "periodic" cleaning--but doesn't say what periodic is--only that use of any cleaning products other than Remmie's will result in the end of all life on the planet as we know it. ;)

Last edited:
CO Steve--that SA 1911 is on my short list--I already have a full size XD and it has been shooting accurately and flawlessly since I first bought it the year after SA introduced them. I'm kinda hoping they make one in 10mm

Marlins never wear out they just get better and better. That's why there is so many of them JMs still around.

BTW: 336s shoot cast lead very well if your interested?

Congrats on the purchase

Marlins never wear out they just get better and better. That's why there is so many of them JMs still around.

BTW: 336s shoot cast lead very well if your interested?
I am indeed very interested--but I'll be pushing them fast (for lead) since I'm thinking deer-dropper. What do you recommend?

MR Marlins

The Marlins that I have seen lately look pretty good to me. I have an 1895G Guide Gun .45-70 that is an "MR" Ilion, NY rifle that I bought in January 2014. It is every bit the rifle that my "JM" Marlins are. Very good shooter, good wood fit and finish. The blue is more of a matte than the high gloss that my older rifles have but still, a good looking and very accurate rifle.
My other Marlins are pre safety 336 models; .30-30, .32 WS, .35 Rem except for my 444P Outfitter.

I know that many of the Marlins built right after the move never should have shipped to distributors but the new rifles are very good.

There are probably several hundred .30-30 cast bullet options, but some of the most highly recommended are:

NOE SC311-165-RF RD (Ranch Dog's updated design.)

Or,
NOE 311-165-RF RD (NOE version of original Ranch Dog 311-165.)

I prefer the latter.

If you don't cast: The Bear Tooth 165 and 173 gr options are good bullets; but you'll have to wait a few months to get them (my last order took about 8 months for .310" 173s and an assortment of .475s).
And there are dozens of commercial casters out there offering Magma, LBT, Lyman, and RCBS options from 130-190 gr.

2nd attempt not so good

Well--I went back out for a few more shots today and it appears my luck ran out. Yesterday I was simply getting some rounds down the barrel for initial break-in and was cleaning between shots--so I was just single shot feeding directly into the chamber.

Today I decided to shoot a few more rounds of the power point 170's and the fusion 150's--and decided to load the magazine up. The power points went first and after the first reload of the magazine--the lever started popping open while the magazine was full--jamming the next round in the magazine behind the gate and necessitating clearing the chambered round. This happened with the 170's no matter how hard I cycled the action. The 150 fusions seemed to be not as much of a problem--but still popped the lever open once. I guess a disassemble is in my future--any advice on cause/remedies?

Here is a second attempt with the fusions--this time I timed 2 minutes between shots. It would have been a pretty good group (for a lever gun and x4 scout scope, anyway) had I not pulled the flier on the upper right.

Last edited:
Usually when a lever is popping open thats a sign the load is too hot. And when switching different loads you should use some copper solvent because different brands of bullets have different jacket material. Just like going from jacketed to lead bullets you need a totally clean bore.

And you are doing yourself a real disservice by using a see through scope mount. That gun already has a comb thats low for a scope mounted low on the receiver. Add the extra tall mounts and your head position is so high you don't get any support from a cheek weld.

I would pick one ammo and stick to it for a while. I have always had good results from remington green box 170gr rounds. But each gun is different.

Not bad.

--

Popping levers usually indicate one or more of the following, with emphasis in descending order:
(My opinion/experience - others may disagree.)

1. The shooter's hand hitting the lever during recoil, due to poor technique. (Very common -- I do it myself, with my straight-grip 444 and one of the pistol-grip .30-30s, when shooting from a bench.)
2. Excessive headspace (caused by an improperly fitted locking bolt).
3. Hot loads.
4. Worn / poorly fitted locking bolt and/or breech bolt.
5. Very weak latching action from the lever lock plunger and/or latch pin. (The plunger doohicky on the lever, and pin it interfaces with.) Usually, if this is the cause, it's a rounded plunger, weak spring, or just grit and dry grease.

That being said, the situation is the opposite of what I would expect...
I've had fairly decent luck with Remington ammunition, and I've never had a load that made me think it might be over the targeted chamber pressure. I would even go so far as to say that I'd take Remington 170s over any other factory ammo, if I had to shoot only factory ammo in the .30-30s.
I cannot, however, say the same for Federal. I avoid all Federal rifle ammunition, after having some really nasty boxes of ammo (massively excessive headspace, shoulders too far forward [can't chamber], wrong diameter bullets, and loads that were way too hot).

I should have elaborated--I was shooting strictly factory ammo--no reloads--and the lever popping/cartridge jamming was happening without firing--just with a full (5 cartridges) magazine. It started with the second 5 rounds of winchester power point 170's. I'll admit I'm not as familiar with lever guns as other types of weapons--and I have no idea how a loaded magazine in and of itself would cause a lever to pop (maybe it was just a coincidence); and somehow result in the next cartridge in the magazine to jam. But I am certain that I had trouble keeping the lever closed even without firing at times--though not all the time with all the cartridges. I fired 24 cartridges total today. Also--I had already switched to lower scope rings than the see-thru ones in the first photo I posted.

Although I do own one old deer knocker marlin I bought eons ago (model 36 S-C) I don't target shoot it that often. It was tuned up some time back (can't remember just when?) so to shoot my reloads out to 100 yards spot on bullseye (or close enough too) done so with its original open barrel sights. Never thought to put a scope on it.
Given some thinking~scope use?~_ I think doing so would distract from the old gals overall pretty looks. Don't see many {factory stock} slab sided carbine Marlins anymore out for a walk in the woods these days.

As far as those reloads.__ I made up 50 cartridges for the 36 25 years ago or so and I'm still shoot'em. If I run across that box of cartridges in the near future I'll comment their recipe. Anywho.__ Keep in mind the best store bought ammo to shoot thru that 336. Those 170 gr Mushrooms in the Green Box.__ Y'll enjoy that Marlin. one "Good trade"

If the lever is popping open just because the magazine is loaded I would check the latch on the lever first thing. It should snap shut a and stay shut. Most I have had are really hard to open. I have dressed them a little and shortened the spring because they were hard to open. Yours may need a stronger spring or a little reshaping of the latch plunger.

You did shoot some good groups.

Thanks ratshooter--I went out again today and the popping of the lever again only happened with the winchester 170 power points with a full magazine--once the first two cartridges were expended it stopped.

Anyway, the WW trigger should come in by the end of this week and I will disassemble, clean and perhaps adjust what I can.

And you are doing yourself a real disservice by using a see through scope mount. That gun already has a comb thats low for a scope mounted low on the receiver. Add the extra tall mounts and your head position is so high you don't get any support from a cheek weld.

Good advice, this.

A 30-30 lever gun will always have that certain lure to it. That look and feel just makes people want the thing. Over all my years I have likely bought and sold more 30-30 lever guns than any other rifle. Hell, I don't even own a 30-30 today.

Best of luck and many enjoyable days with your new rifle. The 1911 will have its day. :)

Ron

A 30-30 lever gun will always have that certain lure to it. That look and feel just makes people want the thing. Over all my years I have likely bought and sold more 30-30 lever guns than any other rifle. Hell, I don't even own a 30-30 today.

Best of luck and many enjoyable days with your new rifle. The 1911 will have its day.
Nicely put and thank you sir.:) My first 30 30 so I'm enjoying the learning experience. Part of that allure, for me anyway, is that beautiful bottle-neck case that is at once so far ahead of it's time--and timeless. If I didn't already have a very nice SA XD in 45 I probably would have scored the 1911 long ago--but as you say it's day is coming.

Back