muzzle loader ?

Get it.

If it has an OEM synthetic stock, I think you might find
it's actually a different caliber (54?) and an In-Line
rather than sidelock.

Please let is know afterwards (I'm kinda fascinated at this point) ;)

It also has a set trigger but I don't think it is working right. I cock it then set the trigger with the read trigger and when I pull the front trigger it kind of clicks, moves back and then it a hard pull tp set the gun off. There is an adjustment on the trigger but there is no manual so I don't know how to adjust it.

The barrel is marked made in Italy, black powder only, cal 58. The top side is marked Cabela,s Inc Sydney NE. On the right side it is marked to read the instruction manual before firing available from invest arm spa 25060 Macherno Italy.

Last edited:
Observe individual operation !!

It also has a set trigger but I don't think it is working right.
No, it doesn't sound right. Now, whenever I run into a Double-Set that doesn't seem to be working right, I separate the set from the lock and observe their individual operation. Like some relationships, there are times when they are not communicating very well. The one adjustment that you are noticing, is the small screw located between both triggers, on the trigger plate. That one adjusts the let off in the set. Pull it and observe it operation. Now, some sets actually have two adjustments and that one is located to the rear of the plate. I have run into these on Investment-Arms M/L's .... :)

On most M/L's, the rear is the set and the front is the hunter. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

This rifle only has one small screw right between the tiggers. Is there a procedure to adjust it ? This rifle hasn't been fired in probably a year or two, maybe all it needs is some oil ?

Okay

rebs
There really isn't a procedure as that screw just sets the lightness of the trigger. "If" you set is working properly and we can only guess that it isn't, the further in you turn it, the lighter the trigger pull, after you set. These sets hardly need much if any lubrication under normal conditions. .... :rolleyes:

If and when you get around to pulling the set, see if it looks like link. If it does, there are two adjustments, as previously mentioned. .... ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Set-...e6a6c92&pid=100033&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=151840695805

I wish you luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Rebs: See if this classic method solves the set trigger problem...

To Set; (Per The Manual)

1. Start by unscrewing the set screw several turns.

2. Place the hammer in the half-cock position.

3. Pull the rear trigger until it "clicks" into place (i.e. "sets")

4. Slowly turn the adjustment screw clockwise (inwards) until the trigger mechanism "snaps". Do not turn the adjustment screw further.

5. Now turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise [back out] one full turn. The set trigger system should now work.

TEST (on half-cock again)
Pull rear trigger until it "sets"
Pull the (now significantly lightened) front trigger until it "snaps"

Last edited:
The screw does not want to turn, I believe it may have rust on it. I am going to take it to a gunsmith friend of mine and have him check it out. Also have him take the nipple out and put a new one in.

Rebs, I installed a musket cap nipple on my Investarms Hawken so I get more reliable ignition. Musket caps are a little harder to find but they have more umph that a standard cap.

I took the rifle over to my friend that is a gunsmith and he checked it all out and fixed the trigger. He adjusted the screw between the triggers and it works fine now, it also has a small screw behind the rear trigger. He said the rifled barrel looks fine.
I went shopping for some 58 cal stuff and boy it is hard to find everything is for 50 cal. I found some balls and cleaning patches, nipple wrench, patch remover on Midway USA
What else can you guys suggest as to what all I need ?
With the scarcity of stuff for 58 cal, maybe I could swap out the barrel for a 50 cal. Is that practical or possible ?
This $50.00 gun is going to cost quite a bit more to be able to shoot it.
Does anyone have a starting grain for powder in my 58 cal carbine ? I also need to know what bullets to buy for it and if I can shoot sabots in it ?

Last edited:
The N-SSA has some 3000 member shooting .58 caliber muzzle loaders. I've never found there to be a "shortage" of stuff for it. :)

Some sources for things:

Dixie Gun Works
S&S Firearms
Midway USA
Cabela's

I shoot minie balls in my .58 guns. I also cast my own bullets. Others here can probably chime in on patched balls.

Steve

58 cal carbine...
Could you please post a pic of the barrel (and one of the muzzle) w/ the "58 cal" stamp on it?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a 58 with set triggers.

mehavey, I emailed you a pic that you can post for me if you will. I do not know how to post a pic on here. It shows the cal and double set trigger in the same pic.

My husband had a 58 caliber before all our guns were stolen years ago. It was stamped on the barrel 58 Mississippi. He only shot round balls out of it and 50-75 yards was best it would do in accuracy level. Musket caps. Never tried the mini balls. It's best load was 60 volume grains of elephant blackpowder. He sure does miss that old rifle.

Posted from Reb's email to me:

28s34nq.jpg

(Also, can your gunsmith get the barrel aligned w/ the breech plug for you?)

Thank you for posting the pic for me, I appreciate it
That piece is part of where the nipple goes, it is made that way. I guess to protect the nipple and or cap.
I will see what he can do to align it
The manual says to only use 2fg black powder, does that mean I cannot use Pyrodex ?
Also the measurement across the flats of the barrel is 11/16"

Last edited:
Sure you can use Pyrodex but I would use RS(2F) instead of P(3F). The Lyman minie is a good choice but I would prefer a stiffer lube than Crisco. The Crisco will work fine but in summer heat it gets really runny. You can load it up to 70 grains of Pyro RS without blowing the skirt on the Lyman minie. I don't know how much higher you can go tho.

Sorry... I didn't recognize the obvious snail when looking at the picture. :o

Hawg is right about thickening up the Crisco for field carry (I use 2-3 parts
Crisco to 1 part beeswax) , but straight Crisco's fine just to get you started
at the range.

Use either 2 or 3F of either Black or Pyrodex depending on what you can get.
At Minieball loads of 60gr or less it's fine.

(I'd definitely use black if you have access)

Back