Movie guns

I've seen information that the "1 of 1,000 and 1 of 100" rifles was not a success for Winchester. The idea was that these rifles came off the line, and were hand picked as being extra good. Instead, many perceived the other rifles as sub standard. They weren't that highly sought after by collectors until after the movie came out. Mark

The guy who did the shooting in "Winchester 73" was the great Herb Parsons. He used a .348 Winchester to hit the coins in "reel time" tossed in the air that Jimmy Stewart hit to win the rifle in the movie. Herb's .348 is in the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, WY. One of the coins Mr. Parsons hit in the movie is in-letted into the stock of the .348, along with carved-in autographs of the main actors in the film.

What about the movie Sabota? At the end of the movie Lee Van Cleef has a lever action carbine and a barrel extension for it. I havnt seen that movie in ages but always wondered about that. Anybody know what that was?

I used to love going to to theatre on Saturdays to watch a couple of Lee van Cleef flicks that were back to back. Seventy-five and later ninety-nine cents in the seventies (it was twenty-five cents in the sixties). Good times.

BTW, I did not know they used real marksmen to shoot real bullets near the actors in some of those movies. Thanks D_J!

In my home town around 1966 it was a dime. A quarter would get you in and buy a Coke and a candy bar with change left.

^^^ Whoa. Yall are making me feel very young as I can't remember a movie ever being cheaper than 4.50 and that was a Matinee'

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whoa. Yall are making me feel very young as I can't remember a movie ever being cheaper than 4.50 and that was a Matinee'

Movie was a dime, Cokes were 6 cents and a candy bar was a nickel. I don't remember what popcorn was, don't remember ever buying any. Now that I think about it it may have a few years earlier. Black people had to watch from the balcony and whites were on the floor.

Wow, shoot now a Coke, popcorn and some candy will set you back more than the movie. I'm so in the wrong line of work. [emoji2]

I don't now recall the movie, but years ago I read an interview with a director who went on and on about how he made sure the Civil War uniform buttons had the proper insignia, the boots were all made to the proper specs, the canteens were exact copies of the originals, etc.

But the director's desire for accuracy didn't extend to weapons. The soldiers were all armed with trapdoor Springfields, and the officers carried 1873 Colts.

Jim

Sounds like The Red Badge of Courage with Audie Murphy. The uniforms, etc.. are all Indian Wars, the troops have the crossed rifle on their Kepis, that wasn't authorized until 1875. The canteens in the stills I have seen look they have the post 1883 khaki covers stamped "U.S."
Again, I like the Nock Volley Gun in The Alamo. Did its inventor, James Wilson, give any thought to what it would be like to fire SEVEN Brown Besses at once ?

Last edited:
Great thread. You guys have an eye for this stuff that I'd say is remarkable.

So, has there been a movie made that you guys give the stamp of approval on because they actually got it right for the period?

^^^ I'm a Novice when it come to Antique Arms and Armament, but The Patriot looked good to me. [emoji3] Only cause it's one of my favorite movies!!

Thanks hawg, I knew it was a prop but the carbine without the extension had to be a copy of something? A screw on extension barrel of any length we all know wouldn't be very accurate. Even as a young kid I knew it was b's but I still can't figure out what model the carbine is supposed to be. Maybe I better go to wally world and buy it so I can watch it again.

I know the mention of this movie will make many cringe, but the guns in the 1995 Sharon Stone movie "The Quick and The Dead" is what made me finally start collecting those types of firearms. Always enjoyed from afar. That movie has cost me a lot of money over the years!

TK

Back