Movie Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grayfox,
THANK YOU!
I was gonna go nuts if nobody mentioned Jeramiah Johnson! Check out the book that the movie was baased on. Written by Vardis Fisher. Great recipes for moose nose and beaver tail gravy in there.

Yojimbo! Also the Bruce Willis remake, "Last Man Standing."
Favorite Qoutes
The Green Berets, George Takai "First kill all stinking Cong, then I go home too."

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
"I'm not gonna jump"
"Why not?"
"Because I can't swim!"
"Ya damn fool! The fall'll probly kill ya!"

The Mountain Men
Brian Keith and Chuck Heston
"You ever been lost?"
"Nope, was a might confused for three or four months one time, but never been lost."
Jeramiah Johnson
Will Greer?
"Pilgrim, can you skin Griz?"
"I can skin 'em as fast as you can catch'em!"
"Mighty cocky for a STARVIN pilgrim."
"Skin that one and I'll bring you another!"
"Jeezus!" (sound of rifle shot)

The Wild Bunch
"Let's go."

Tremors
"Broke into the wrong damn Rec room din'tcha?"
------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

[This message has been edited by Ken Cook (edited March 07, 1999).]

Wow! I thought that I was a loner in liking any movies by Akira Kurasawa. Remember that many of the "Great movies" attributed to western (US) film makers are blatant rip off's of Black and White Kurasawa films; Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai, The Forty Seven Ronin (True story), also the Miyamoto Musashi trilogy. He's got more, but all are Must see's!
I'll second (or third) the nomination's for DAS BOOT, and also for THE WIND AND THE LION. That last one has a scene that makes this Active duty Marine want to fix Bayonets, put on my Dress Blues, and go for a three mile Conditioning run! Check THAT one out!
Any movie graced by Mel Gibson... GALLIPOLI, ROAD WARRIOR, BRAVEHEART CONSPIRACY THEORY, and his latest PAY BACK, I've yet to see one that wasn't topshelf.
You all forgot Charles Bronson?! Check out THE MECHANIC. Aren't there any DEATH WISH fans out there?
1941, any thing by the MONTY PYTHON troupe, and ANIMAL HOUSE. All are classics.
SNIPER took some of its material from the real life exploits of Carlos Hathcock (look me in the eye and deny it!)
Two more and I'll stop boring you. BLACK MOON RISING with Tommy Lee Jones, and HIGHLANDER with Christopher Lambert and (how could I forget to mention?) - Sean Connery. All excellant movies and all with my personal seal of approval!
Unkel Gilbey

I haven't see 84 Charlie Mopic mentioned. It's filmed in a documentary style through the camera lens of a military motion picture (MOPIC) cameraman who goes out on an insertion with a LRRP team. Really powerful scenes.

Other favorites are...

Wild Bunch
Excalibur
Alien and Alien 2
Dragonheart
Bullet
Enter the Dragon
The Getaway (Steve McQueen version)
The first couple of Steven Segal movies
Beetlejuice
Blues Brothers
Heat
Das Boot (subtitles version)
Dirty Harry
Red Dawn
Excape from NY
Terminator

and a lot of the others already mentioned.

------------------

I really enjoyed Sharpes Rifles.Dont know how Charles Bronson has been overlooked for so long.Maybe its a generation thing.
Speaking of which, this old man rented The Replacement Killers which came highly touted. GREAT movie.
Years ago I saw another movie that must have been John Woo.It had a shootout where the guy had a slew of Berettas stashed all over the place.
Apparently he favors eight round bursts.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Whoops,

One genre of movies that I had totally forgotten but am a very big fan of is Japanese anime (an-i-may). One particular series that would befit this forum is called Gun Smith Cats from Kenichi Sonoda's manga of the same name. (On the cover it says Gunsmith Cats but the video titles it Gun Smith Cats.) Set in the US, the main character, Rally Vincent (female), is a legal gun dealer who gets into a few predicaments necessitating the use of a number of firearms from both sides. Her favorite is the pre-US importable CZ-75. What makes this series, as well as the majority of anime, very appealing (at least to me) is the amount of detail in the movies. The guns in GSC are very accurately drawn as well as RV's Shelby Cobra.

Unlike Saturday morning kids cartoons, anime are high quality animation the majority of which are geared for adults. There are children oriented series such as Sailor Moon and Pokemon as well as X-rated series but a lot are adult themes such as man vs machine, issues dealing with society, government, environment, morality, etc. (Occasionally, the thinking gets too deep.) These videos can be found in book/video/computer stores and rented from video rental shops. Give Gun Smith Cats a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised. There is, however, some violence not intended for kids.

- Ron V.

------------------

Unkel Gilbey,
I'm afraid you're gonna be really p***ed when you see Lethal Weapon 4. That's the last straw for me. Little Mel will have to get along without getting anymore money from me. I refuse to pay to watch ANYTHING he does from here on.
How can someone who's made millions with a gun in his hand play a part in such an anti-gun cluster****? I guess it's okay for THEM to have guns, just none for US?
BTW I've been to the burial site of the 47 Ronin. Can't remember the name of the place anymore, but it was moving.
LOVE Kurasawa flicks!
The Mechanic is one of my favorites.
Mr. Majestyk
Deathwish!!!!(Don't we all dream about it sometimes?) :D

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

A Few GREATS I didn't see above

Sniper
Drug Lords wearing crosshairs! Great

Deliverance
A Classic

Usual Suspects
If you haven't seen it, do so NOW! What a twisting plot!

Texasville
A great book by Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove), and a really well-done movie. Mr McMurtry creates the best characters

DeathHunt
Charles Bronson as bad as always. Based on a true story

My All time favorites are:
StarWars (All of them!)
Lonesome Dove
Texasville
Usual Suspects
BraveHeart
Red Dawn

I really enjoy this thread!

dennis glover,
any relation to our hero "Danny Glover"
of the Lethal Weapon?
:B

------------------
REY MARIANO

I'ld like to back up the anime referal... These are actually movies - not INTENDED for children. One anime that I like is called "APPLESEED" kinda police action thing with giant robots and all that. It is a pretty good story, and the details of the weapons are simply amazing for a peice of animation. This is no COOL WORLD... Anime is beyond any animation done here in the states.

------------------

Resistance is Futile

Mr. Gibley: you said:

"Wow! I thought that I was a loner in liking any movies by Akira Kurasawa. Remember that many of the "Great movies" attributed to western (US) film makers are blatant rip off's of Black and White Kurasawa films; Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai, The Forty Seven Ronin (True story), also the Miyamoto Musashi trilogy. He's got more, but all are Must see's!"

You are correct about many Western movies resembling the great, late, Akira Kurasawa's movies. However, watching a biography of his, I was amazed to find out that 'Seven Samauri' was NOT based on any Japanese legend, but rather was based on 'Western' movies. Kurasawa just wanted to do a 'Western' movie!! Walt

Damn right Tom B! I LOVED the shootouts in Heat because they were very intense, not overly dramatic(which is why I dont care too much for John Woo movies), and more realistic than most other movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back