Mountain/Woods Handgun For My Daughter...Which Caliber?

handgun

Check out the Ruger DA .327 magnum. You can shoot .32 shorts and longs,the .32 H&R Magnum and od course the .327 magnum. The ballistics on the .327 mag are real close the the .357.:) Cliff

Let her feel and fondle a 4" Ruger SP 101. Heavy enough to sorta tame the recoil of a .357 full-house load, but not bad for holster carry.

5'-2" and 120 pounds is not delicate, but at 5'-2" there could be a problem with hand size vs. a pistol's grip size. Try a Smith K-frame as well.

My wife carries a S&W 640 in 357....(I think 640 is right..It has a short barrel..but I think they make a longer barrel now)

I think you have made a fine choice in the gun. I prefer the 44 mag, and let me tell you having hunting in an area where we were walking on grizzly prints I still felt a little vulnerable. But I think with hard cast bullets she will be fine. However, at no point should she load a hollow point in the gun for woods carry. If she does have to face a bear, or more likely a ****** moose, she is going to want all the penetration she can get.

My 44 mag is a Smith and Wesson 329 PD which is an scandium framed revolver. Not very nice to shoot a bunch at the range, but very nice to carry in the woods. It also helps that I cast and load my own bullets for it, way more tolerable to shoot than with factory ammo.

Whatever she will carry. As I always say "let her decide" you cant buy a gun for daughter anymore than for a wife.

She would probably find it too big but take a look at the S&W Governor. I found it to be BIG after carrying a jframe for a while.

I think the two of you made a good choice. I recently picked this one up for a woods/hiking gun...
SP101.jpg

Small enough to carry conceal, but not a bad belt gun either. 357 has been used on pretty much everything in the lower 48 if memory serves.

My mother in law bought her self one of those Chiappa Rhinos (blue with a long barrel) For a 357 magnum it has surprising little kick. It is still very loud (like all 357 magnums) but it is pretty easy on the hands.

I see she is using your Security-Six... very good taste :cool:

Back