Motor Oil For Lube. Which is Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You throw away a years supply every time you change the oil in your vehicles.
I guess I could ask the guys at the dealer where I get my oil changed for free as part of purchasing both my vehicles there for some. :D

How about Pure Polaris Synthetic. I do change the oil in my 4-wheeler.
How do the gun makers feel about motor oil as gun lubricants? Ever ask them?
You seem to have an unwarranted faith in gun oil companies
No, just happy with what I have been using for a very long time. Nobody has really shown me an advantage of using automotive motor oil.

Evidently, you were not old enough to remember

HaHaha, now THAT'S funny!

Nobody has really shown me an advantage of using automotive motor oil.
Cost for one. Light gun oils wear off fast during shooting any many of the regular gun oils I've used over the years will harden or leave a residue if left sitting extended periods of time.

I'd like to see someone show me the advantage of gun oils over motor oil.

Jim

Really a ridiculous argument. When did I say anything other than my opinion about what I use.
The OP asked what kind of motor oil. I even gave the answer as to what most people that use mortor oil use.
If it works for you, fine. What I use works for me. Nothing has shown me that gun oil, as recommended by gun makers, causes any problems. Neither has it been proven to me that motor oil is better.:D
Now, if you want to leave all the hyperbole of the superiority of synthetic motor oil behind I have a question.
What is the viscosity of Mobil 1 vs Remoil, CLP, and other gun oils?
Seems to me the synthetic motor oil is noticeably thicker.

Oil is oil. Does anybody honestly think oil for guns is pulled out of the ground in some different location than oil for engines?
The difference is viscosity, additives, or lack thereof, and how well impurities are filtered out.
Maybe it's better, maybe it's not, but I've been using Mobil 1 5 w 20 for years now with no issues. As for cheaper, again, maybe, maybe not. That depends on how much you use.
A 1 Oz bottle for $8 vs a quart for $8 doesn't mean much if you never use all of either one.
I have found that it doesn't cook off as easily in guns like ars.

So How often
How often do you change it? And do you change the filter too?
bb
The Polaris? Depends on how much I ride it, and yes.
Usually at least twice per year unless I put a lot more hours on it. Same with the boat, but I don't use synthetic in it because the engine manufacturer, Marine Power, didn't recommend it.:D

Iv used motor oil with no problem its rediculous to think it would harm a firearm or not protect it . Most of the time I use hoppes or Rim oil . One thing I think should be giving thought would be to much heavy oil in very cold weather . I do have a couple of firearms that sit most of the year and I use to find Slick 50 one lube that would coat and protect very well . It was made as a machine oil and came in a small container havn't seen it in a while .

Haven't found a recommended viscosity rating for my guns yet but it does seem to "hang-on" better. Not wear off as fast.
Possibly amount may have some influence. With the amount I have learned over the years that is not only sufficient, but preferable, I don't know if I could tell if it wore off or not. For lubrication, it's much more a very thin film than a coating.
I guess that may be why I prefer the lighter viscosity of gun oils.
There has been no noticeable wear, or malfunctions with the amount of oil I use. Was way back when I thought you had to grease up everything with a good coating of lubricant to keep it running, I had many more function problems, and grease spotted clothing as well!:eek:

Gunfixr

I agree with your use of Mobil 1 oil as firearm lubricant. Synthetic oils have come a long way since initial widespread use in turbine engines. Reason for synthetic oil effectiveness is resistance to degrading shear forces in engines and also in firearms.

By-the-way "oil is oil" is not totally correct. Crude oil comes out of the ground in a varying mixture of carbon combined with hydrogen. It may look like lighter fluid, light brown ale, green beer, or soft black crystals.

I've used straight 10w30 for years now. Only started using it because it was what I had after my outers gun oil ran out. After being satisfied with the results I decided not to go for another 4$ bottle of gun oil (now 6$) until my 1.99 quart ran out (now 5.99). I still have that same quart.

Cheapshooter said:
The OP asked what kind of motor oil. I even gave the answer as to what most people that use mortor oil use.
If it works for you, fine. What I use works for me. Nothing has shown me that gun oil, as recommended by gun makers, causes any problems.
It is axiomatic that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Neither has it been proven to me that motor oil is better.
True. Nor have you proven that it's worse, or at least not as good.

Over the years I've seen many, many posts on gun lubrication by people who have gone along merrily for years lubricating their firearms with 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. Basically, we're lubricating metal-on-metal contact. Oil is oil. Any good oil is good oil.

The only drawback I can see is if there is some problem with the additives in the automobile oil.
That's one problem. I have read some sources that indicate that some of the pour point additives commonly found in motor oil aren't a great choice to put in an item that will likely be carried and certainly handled.

The other issue is that there are additives in typical gun oils that enhance their suitability for that application--particularly in terms of corrosion prevention/protection.
Used motor oil is a particularly poor choice as it is carcinogenic and has likely lost some of its original properties (why else would you be changing it?).
...unless gun oils have likewise improved.
As Gunfixr correctly notes, the basic lubricant--the oil itself, minus all additives--is likely pretty similar regardless of the specific application. Meaning that the improvements seen in cutting edge motor oils are also available in cutting edge gun oils.

I remember one debate awhile back where someone was complaining about BreakFree CLP and praising Mobil 1 Synthetic. On a hunch, I looked up the MSDSs for both and it turned out that they both used exactly the same synthetic oil (identical CAS #s) as a base.

For those who want to feel like they're beating the system by using something other than gun oil on their guns, there are better choices out there than motor oil.

According to this guy, who knows a thing or two about guns and gunsmithing, ATF makes a pretty good gun lubricant that still offers decent corrosion protection. It's not non-toxic, however.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

He recommends a Lubriplate product (FMO-350-AW oil) that is available from lubrikit.com. It's also available in a 12oz. spray container. https://wbcindustrial.com/1-12oz-spray-can-of-lubriplate-fmo-350-aw-food-grade-mineral-oil You can also buy it in gallon quantities and split some with a friend or two or ten.

I've used some of the Lubrikit product and it works ok. I can't tell that it's better than gun oil, but it is completely non-toxic and odorless--both fairly major pluses for something that's going to be carried close to one's skin.

By the way, for those who think that all oils perform the same, here's a rather in depth evaluation of the various properties of gun lubricants/protectants.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546316

I use Castrol syntec EDGE formula 0W-40

Works great... ive used at least 10 .. maybe 15 different firearm lubes over the years(40)
and I started using the motor oil when I first heard it was good.
And I can say with certainty that the Castrol works as good as or better than most if not all the 10-15 firearm lubes I've used.my .02c;)

and I use a medical syringe to dispense and apply at exact amounts.

Not to debate it one way or the other, but I have heard & read the main reason for higher mileage on automotive engines is due to fuel injection. I am sure there have also been improvements in modern motor oils.

I personally use watch oil in my watches, clock oil in my clocks, motor oil in my vehicles/boats and gun oil/grease for my guns. I would use motor oil on my guns prior to letting them go without care like the neglected we have all seen in our lifetime.

Quote:

Used motor oil is a particularly poor choice as it is carcinogenic and has likely lost some of its original properties (why else would you be changing it?).
I think they meant that there is enough clean oil left in the oil container(s) that can be recovered to make a years supply. I doubt that he meant dirty oil as a gun lubricant.

As Gunfixr correctly notes, the basic lubricant--the oil itself, minus all additives--is likely pretty similar regardless of the specific application. Meaning that the improvements seen in cutting edge motor oils are also available in cutting edge gun oils.

I remember one debate awhile back where someone was complaining about BreakFree CLP and praising Mobil 1 Synthetic. On a hunch, I looked up the MSDSs for both and it turned out that they both used exactly the same synthetic oil (identical CAS #s) as a base.
I am shocked! BreakFree CLP and Mobile 1 , the same base oil!!

I am shocked! BreakFree CLP and Mobile 1, the same base oil!!
Don't get too carried away--if the base was all there was to it then we would consider urine and KoolAid to be identical since they're both more than 90% water. The "additives" do make a significant difference... :D

"Motor oil has all kinds of additives that really make it unsuitable for use with firearms."

Please explain exactly which additives are unsuitable for use with firearms, given that they are perfectly suitable for use in aluminum and cast iron block engines.

What do these unsuitable additives do?

Cause premature ignition? Cylinder knocking? :p

"The other issue is that there are additives in typical gun oils that enhance their suitability for that application--particularly in terms of corrosion prevention/protection."

You do realize that motor oils are packed FULL of anti-corrosion additives?

The never ending discussion of "which oil is best" reminds me of an old episode of Simpsons.

Homer is touring the Duff brewery and is sampling all of the different beers the company has to offer -- Duff, Duff Dry, Duff Light, Duff Bold, Raspberry Duff, etc... -- and never notices that the taps are all being fed from the exact same main pipe...

In any event, I use grease on my guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back