most versatile handgun

From open carry to concealed to the nightstand ,recreational , competition and even out in the woods and what ever I left out.

That does cover quite a bit. Lets break it down a little bit.

Everything (or anything) can be open carried. (of course, where legal)
Anything (or everything) can be a nightstand gun.

And virtually anything can be recreational, depending on the owner's opinion, and nothing else. ;)

So that essentially leaves us to determine what would cover CCW, competition, and "out in the woods" (by which I assume you mean either hunting or defense from animals). Both personal defense and out in the wild woods means deciding on a minimum power level. And both hunting and competition are better served by a gun with good adjustable sights. Doesn't hurt on a defensive gun, either, but I wouldn't consider them a necessity for that use.

The case seems to be pretty strong for a mid size, medium barrel length .357 caliber or larger.

Hard to argue against a four inch .357.
That said:
If you hand load I'd say a 4", 5",or 6" 44 mag in either a S&W or a Ruger Redhawk. The 44 mag can be loaded from 600 FPS with light bullets up to about 1300 FPS with very heavy bullets and shoot them all with good accuracy.

I was thinking this idea also. A four/five inch .44 would offer even more choices than the .357, especially to the handloader.
Pete

yet another vote for a .357 revolver. Take your pick for size and brand, but I think the 586/686/GP100 in 4" is a good size for all purpose and the M60/SP101 is great for carry work.

All spurred of couse... if you're looking for all purpose, you want that single action ability.

lamarw,
An "N" frame 45 Colt won't handle the real high power (Ruger/T/C) 45 Colt loads, giving the advantage to the 357 magnum.

I'd say it would be glock 29 (if it functions reliably -- which mine didn't). It's a small package - roughly the size of glock 19, with 10+1 rounds of 10mm. The slide is heavy making even hot 10mm very shootable. If it operated reliably, this would be the ultimate do-it-all gun: woods, SD, HD, CCW, perhaps even short-distance hunting for small/medium game.

An "N" frame 45 Colt won't handle the real high power (Ruger/T/C) 45 Colt loads, giving the advantage to the 357 magnum.
Guv,
A N frame 45 Colt doesn't need to take the 30K Ruger only loads to best a 357 it'll eat 25K like Corbon.
Even at the 21K that modern SAAs will handle you can get a 255 cast to 1100fps which is enough for anything that a 357 will do, without the blast that a 357 has.

Good all around gun would be a 3" or 4" .357 revolver. Shoots mild to wild ammo. My personal choice is a S&W.

Guv, if you're just looking for a reason not to Ruger doesn't recommend using them in Blackhawks or Redhawks. Guys like Brian Pearce and John Linebaugh have literally written the book on heavy 45 Colt loads and the guns that'll take them. There's plenty written on the subject if you're interested in speaking from an educated position.

About the only company that condones handloads is T/C. Just look at the locking notches on a Smith, they are right over the thinnest part of the chamber, not offset like a Ruger. But I guess that isn't important.

I just educated myself, found John Linebaugh's writeup. He stated his loads were for Ruger Blackhawks only.

My choice is my Ruger GP100, Not perfect for everything, but most versatile for me. Very accurate and shootable with full magnum loads, for the handloader it shoots cast and plated bullets very well. A 686 would also fill the bill, I just prefer the ergo's of the Ruger.
I could see an N frame 45 Colt for a bigger dude. As was stated, no need for high pressure in the big Colt round.
IMO it should be double action for quick loading and fast one handed shooting.

Mavracer,
Don't get me wrong, the 45 Colt was my first big bore lesson. My Brother in laws had a 10" Contender, it was a real hoot. I had a 7 1/2" Blackhawk that got nothing but 260gr Speer JHP's and full loads of 2400. I also had a 4" Model 25 that was a real sweet gun, wish I still had that one. If I did though, I wouldn't push it above standard loads, just my preference. I would have no problem with hotter loads in say a Blackhawk or a Redhawk though.

To a degree, that is correct, BUT, the advantage to the .357 is only if it is also in an N frame (or similar) gun. Medium frame .357s (k frames) cannot take heavy .357 loads.

Most folk here are saying medium frame .357 (mostly for its carry qualities, I assume), and a medium frame .357 will not take the heavy loads an N frame .357 will.

Good stout .357 loads will out power moderate .45 Colt loads, but in guns that will take it, stout .45 Colt eclipses the .357 handily.

I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO, a 44 Magnum of any make or any larger gun simply is not suitable for CCW use. The Model 19 would be my choice, sacrificing extended .357 use for the greater convenience of the smaller and lighter frame.

Jim

I'm still kinda partial the the Rhino. The 40DS in .357Mag is reasonably feasible for concealment, the recoil is much softer which makes follow up shots easier in defensive shooting and for competition, and its certainly accurate enough for target shooting and hunting. And it looks intimidating, which is a nice bonus for personal defense (if the bad guys craps his pants and runs away, I call that a win.)

Back