most versatile handgun

griffin12aaa

Which do you guys think is the most versatile handgun and why? From open carry to concealed to the nightstand ,recreational , competition and even out in the woods and what ever I left out. I know there's different guns for different tasks but which do u guys think can do most of this the best?

IMO it would have to be a 3-4 inch 357 magnum. You can shoot weaker loads than 9mm to some hot stuff like BB.

What handgun do you guys think can "almost" do it all?

AAA

Sig P250

Buy one handgun and an almost limitless number of configurations. Different calibers and sizes. You can keep a full size 45 for the nightstand, a subcompact 9mm for CC, and any size in between.

Now, I don't know that it does any of them exceedingly well, but perhaps the P320 in striker fire would make it a better carry option.

4" 357 magnum.

Or

Glock 29. Easily concealable and 10mm is powerful. Pretty accurate too. 10+1 capacity vs 6 from the revolver.

If Smith would put a 3" barrel on the model 69 or maybe a commander length (and I want a true 4 1/4" commander) 10mm built on a STI VIP sized frame

Well, a 4" N frame, S&W, model 27 .....(.357 Mag ) is a good pick....a little big to carry concealed, but ok in a good holster....accurate, good trigger, good all around cartridge...

but so is a good 5" 1911, especially from a company like Wilson Combat, in either 9mm or .45 acp...wide variety of bullets for defense, etc..., easy to conceal, good all around weapon....

I'd grab one of each ...if I were leaving the house in a hurry...

If you hand load I'd say a 4", 5",or 6" 44 mag in either a S&W or a Ruger Redhawk. The 44 mag can be loaded from 600 FPS with light bullets up to about 1300 FPS with very heavy bullets and shoot them all with good accuracy.

If you do not load your own I would have to echo the posts above and say a 357 mag with barrels in the same lengths.

The 357 will not do "all the same things the 44 will do" (as well at least) but it will do about 95% of everything you'd need it to do.

The 44 exceeds it in hunting large game, especially when the animals weight over 400 pounds. Most shooters will never use their handgun to kill many 400-1000 pound animals, but because the point was asked about a handgun that was the most versatile, I have to say the 44 Magnum is probably the best all around.

Hard to carry a six inch .44 magnum concealed, though. Yeah, Dirty Harry may have done it but he didn't have to worry about printing.

I'll go with the three to four inch K-frame .357 magnum.

And for those of you who are suggesting guns with interchangeable barrels, etc., well that's cheating. :)

A .38 Super Colt 1991A1 I had built specifically for versatility is almost ready, just needs to go to Ion Bond to be finished. It has three barrel assemblies fitted to it - 9mm, .38 Super, and 9x23 Winchester - good for plinking, competition, self defense, hunting, whatever.

Mine is a 3" Ruger SP101, which is compact enough to carry easily, but I'd be just as happy with a Smith 66 or 19.

I would of agreed with the S&W L sz. .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel until last year when I scored my S&W N sz. .45 Colt Mountain Gun also with a 4" barrel.

They are almost the identical weight (my S&W 686 and my S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun). The Mountain Gun is slightly lighter unloaded and then slightly heavier when loaded. There is no argument about which round is more versatile. It is the .45 Colt. Particularly if you reload.

I do not live in "Big Bear" country, but if I did I would prefer the .45 Colt over the .357 Magnum.

With the above behind me, I am not sure either of these two revolvers are the most versatile of all handguns, but either will do me. :)

To me, it's the .40 S&W. I prefer the size of the Glock 23 as it carries very well, has the accessory rail for attaching a light for good solid nightstand use. It's easy to shoot competition with as you can handload it down to recoil less than a 9mm (180-200gr @ 800-850 fps for instance) yet can be loaded warm enough to work in the woods as a close range deer, hog and black bear rig by shooting a 180gr to 1,200 fps or a 200gr WFN hardcast to 1,150 fps all while nearly vanishing as it's so small to carry, yet so capable.

Then you can go back to factory ammo for self defense use. The .45 is close, but its larger size is why I prefer the smaller framed .40's.

another vote for a .357

Yeah, likely an "L" frame, maybe an N, stainless, with 4" tube and round butt. I'd get the stainless coated to some dark shade, Black T or something.

Something like the N-frame Mountain Guns would be another configuration , but I'd stay with .357

Back