Most reliable BP pistol out of the box?

When I was in CAS a couple of decades ago, there were a number of people who thought cap and ball was a cheap way to get started. They were nearly all plagued by one or another source of failure.
The first guns I saw to get through a stage were a Ruger and somebody's Remington copy.
I hope things are better now.

"Never did get over it", Geesh thanks for sharing Hawgy... I have other problems, but coming along fine from the surgery, my doc encouraged me to continue my rehab exercise and that with the weights has me feeling pretty good.

Some people get over it in a couple of weeks. My Dr. said about a year but I don't think I'll ever get any better than I am now.

It looked like he had a cap in the works with the Pyrodex. The cylinder was turning too easy to be fouling.

Honestly, I expect to do a little tuning on any of them. I've got an old 1860 no-name, Italian that has become the most reliable BP revolver I've ever owned. And it ain't going anywhere but back in my holster.

Shown here with other good, proven kit.

GoodKit.jpg

My reply didn' post but I said probablly a Remington '58 reproduction from Uberti or Pietta as they are consantly good.
Accurate, reliable and powerful.
The Remmies hold up to heavy charges and don't jam caps as much due to design.
Piettia makes a 5 1/2" bbl which handles like a dream.
Gotta admit ROA's are the best tho.

Back