Most reliable BP pistol out of the box?

Well.... I don't want one, since I'm an 1860 man all the way.... but I did write to them yesterday, just because I got that kinda time and like to get answers, and got this back today.....

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 03/09/2016
Request No: 3xxxxxxx

Comment / question:
Why doesn't Ruger offer an occasional run of the Ruger Old Army black powder revolvers? There is a huge demand for those, and it might not support a fully maintained line, but it would certainly sell out a special run every few years.

Response:
Unfortunately, we have no plans at this time to reintroduce this model.
We will pass along your request to our sales and marketing department for future consideration. Please keep checking our website for updates, new models, and availability. Thank you for your interest in Ruger.

My personal thinking is that it's because of liability. In today's world, I imagine they would have to put a safety on it for legal reasons and that would probably really hurt sales if it weren't the original ROA, not to mention a costly redesign of the thing.

Last edited:
Well that's a copy and pasted blanket response. That's exactly what I got back from them some time ago when I wrote them. Bill is gone now and that was his baby from what I've read. So the new bean counters at Ruger probably will never bring the ROA back. Too busy making pistols out of recycled soda bottles. [emoji3]

Would you men say that Remington's New Model Army is more reliable, generally speaking, than one of Sam Colt's belt/holster pistols?

Would you men say that Remington's New Model Army is more reliable, generally speaking, than one of Sam Colt's belt/holster pistols?

Generally speaking yes but (there's always a but:D) I find the Colt's to be more accurate. Some people have more cap jams with Colt's, I am not one of them. I get just as many with Remingtons which isn't many at all. Uberti Colt's have short arbors which needs to be addressed, Pietta's are usually right. I have Colt's and Remingtons both but rarely use the Remingtons.

Cap jam with a Colt's pattern revolver? I don't have that problem :D And I have came to the same conclusion as Hawg. My 36 Pietta Sheriff (not historically accurate, but it is an open top Colt "style" revolver) will shoot tighter groups than my Pietta NMA. Its shoots high as all of them do. But with a 6 oclock hold no sweat. I absolutely love that thing. And it doesn't get as dirty as the Remington for some reason. I love that dang thing, its a sweet lookin and shootin 6 gun! Did I mention how much I likes it? :D

Last edited:
Do the new Uberti Colts still suffer from the short arbor issue?

Yes. They seem to have no desire to fix it but it's not too hard to fix yourself. I fixed my Dragoon with washers in the arbor hole. I used two but had to file one down to get it right.

I'd expect any of them to work out of the box. However, you certainly would want to tweak it. I guess the least tweaking would be needed on a Remington 1858 navy clone, there you'd just have to adjust the action where needed, clean up any rough surfaces, pour kroil over that one screw which donesn't want out and you'd be mostly okay.

Mind you, just get what you like, you're going to do some disassembly and tweaking anyway, and fixing arbor length is simple and there are many "how to" floating around. Any .44s you get from Pietta / Uberti will have slightly mismatching groove and chamber diameter, while .36s are generally okay. Why this is (they can't be bothered to change tooling?), nobody knows.

Now I am going to -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- all of you off and say a Uberti 1847. Just a bit of lube and adjust the wedge and if yah aint man enough to handle one you don't matter.

Uberti 1847. Just a bit of lube and adjust the wedge and if yah aint man enough to handle one you don't matter.

Fix that short arbor and you wont have to adjust the wedge and the wedge won't be taking the brunt the recoil.

Hawgy, your head or your back? I got an older Uberti I need to check out and ask ya about a fix if it needs it, you're there for me, right?

Hawgy, your head or your back?

Head lol

I got an older Uberti I need to check out and ask ya about a fix if it needs it, you're there for me, right?

Sure but it will be short. You will have to measure it out tho. There are a few ways to fix it. I used washers in the arbor hole of my Dragoon but I had to file one down to get it right. You can make a plug to go on the end of the arbor and JB Weld it or you can D&T the end of the arbor for a set screw. Once the arbor length is corrected you can no longer set cylinder gap with the wedge which is how it should be. It wont matter how hard you seat the wedge cylinder gap will not change. It also prevents the wedge from taking the brunt of the recoil.

Glad to hear it was your head... I got some Keith type loads in 38 cases, then some .44 spec loads to finish... Oh yeah and some cast 32 spec. Loads and thinking about buying Lee's new .22 mold for my .223. Oh carp so much to do, so little time...open heart last year...as soon as I catch up I'll get back to ya. Thanks Hawgy.

I can heartily recommend the Pedersoli Remington 1858 target model.

Faultless out of the box, no fettling or smoothing required and with a Lothar Walther barrel the accuracy is spectacular.

Being a good copy with original sights it is eligible for lot more competitions than the ROA if that is what floats your boat.

Back