Most reliable BP pistol out of the box?

detroiter711

Inactive
So I know that BP pistols have come a long way in regards to reliability. However, there does seem to still be the occasional lemon or return out there. All things being equal, what do you think is the most reliable out of the box cap and ball pistol? Personally, I think that the Uberti 1858 is a contender, but admittedly, my experience with these firearms is limited to my own Pietta brasser.

I bought one. Love it! Bought another 1860 Colt army and it needed a little work on the rammer. A few forum questions and a little grinding and it is a great shooter. Some might have sent it back for another, I figure I am going to work on it sooner or later, so sooner is is not as good as later but it beats a poke in the eye. My remy was good right out of the box. I expect it and my colt will be good for a long time.

Ruger Old Army......yes they are discontinued...but many new ones can still be found...as well as used...and the accolade...."finest black powder pistol ever made" is still a fact....

The ROA is the pinnacle of the percussion revolver weapon system.

They do not fail. If it misfires, you are the problem. YOU are the failure. These guns are perfection.

Buy one.

Last edited:
Ruger Old Army is THE black powder pistol for me. It has never let me down and has always gone bang. For me there really are the best and I love the adj sight to help me dial in when needed when I test different loads.

I was going to answer Pietta 1858 Remington at first as I have four of them, but yeah, my ROA is the best cap and ball revolver I own.

I like the Ruger. One could say it is not "Authentic" in that it only resembles the guns of the old days. You could also say if the cartridge had failed to come about it is what the BP gun would become. I do not have one, I have handled a few, never shot one. It appears to be an iron brick as far as reliability is concerned and a fine pistol. If you want a fine replica of the old guns the Uberti Remington will likely satisfy. Looking at the internals these guns should last years when properly cared for.

Yep I say Ruger Old Army also! If you want a reliable pistol that is built like a tank to launch projectiles pushed by black powder then YEAH, its King! But its not MY personal GO TO cap and ball revolver! I prefer the guns that closely resemble what my ancestors used and prefer to use them much in the way they would have or as close as I can or whatever. Same reason I bought and sold an Inline .50 cal rifle and went with a more traditional looking side lock. If I want to shoot deer with a scoped rifle capable of 200 yards I will grab my 30-30. Which in my state and the area I hunt, we can use what ever we want for the entire season. This is not meant to bash the ROA, it is a FINE cap and ball revolver! Just my "opinion" which are like ya know, everyone has one!

Last edited:
I prefer the guns that closely resemble what my ancestors used and prefer to use them much in the way they would have or as close as I can or whatever.

This ^^^ I wouldn't foul my hands on a ROA.

For a first time buyer the Remington 1858 is the most reliable out of the box
pistol made as of now. It needs some tweeking but usually works. Also 1858
bashes some peoples knuckle and soon become sore after a couple shots. I
prefer Colt copies for SASS but they require more work to get them 100%
reliable.

Over the years I have owned 3 Ruger old armies and sold them all because
although they are strong they are also heavy and the bore is high in the hand.
Even in target shooting I believe they are way too heavy to shoot one handed.
If Ruger would make a 36 caliber on the Single Six frame I would probably
find some money to buy a pair. Don't believe Old Armies don't jam up with
cap debris I have seen it happen. Although the chance of a Ruger breaking
anything is small remember there are no parts left at all.

One last thought a pistol is a personnal thing and what feels good to you may
not feel good to someone else. I can shoot any pistol good off a bench with
two hands but drawing from a holster and hitting target on the clock is a whole different ball game.

It is cool that the ROA is a modern C&B revolver.

The fact that it is a "new" design isn't so big a deal as I once thought... it's still a C&B gun, it's still got the feeling. Just that "Ol Bill (Ruger)" had the balls to make a truly modern designed C&B is neat. I prefer the old guns, the old designs, due to historical reasons... but the ROA is undoubtedly a great C&B revolver.

^^ I agree. They are a great revolver. The one I had would flat out SHOOT. But once I picked up a NMA, and then oh boy I held a '60 it was all over. If Ruger started producing them again they will have NO trouble selling them. Plenty of folks LOVE them as with Inlines, just not my cup of tea.

Unless Ruger's inventory system changed, marketing projects what sales would be and then schedules the object's run for the year. I don't understand why the ROA can be given a limited run every five years.

Back