Most painful rifle kick you've personally experienced

I turkey hunt with a light Mossberg 500 12 ga with 2 oz turkey loads. Normally recoil isn't too bad because you can roll with it. One time I had a gobbler come in at a funny angle and I had to turn into an odd position to make the shot. When I fired, I realized that my shooting shoulder was pinned against a tree trunk and I had to take the full force of the recoil without moving.

Ouch. I won't make that mistake again. :eek:

TXAZ I have been asked one time if I could make a 1 bore.
Yes, I could....but it's not practical at all, and such a gun would be too big to be useful. In fact, I can say the same of the 2 bore above, so the 1 bore would only be more-so.

A 1 bore is 1.7" in bore diameter. So that means to be safe you need about 5/8 of steel around it for a "light" breach Remember that's .625" all the way around it so we take 1.7 and add 1.25 to that and we'd come up with a barrel at least 2.95" in diameter. Very close to 3" around. Now we have to inlet it into a stock so we have something to put the lock into. That means we wrap about 1/2" of wood around it. So we end up with a gun that the forestock is about 35 to 3.75" in diameter. Not many hands can hold onto something that large that is kicking back with so much energy that it will break bone.

And of course the recoil is a factor. How much?
Depends on the powder charge, but a charge that would give you enough velocity to catch up with an arrow off a wood bow would probably be more than any man could hold.

Recoil on these big guns has a factor involved that most men ever think of. That being the weight of the gun. If you have a gun that weight 35 pounds and you get it moving at the speeds we are taking about here from the effects of recoil, you have to understand it's moving that fast and IT WEIGHS 35 POUNDS. That's the weight of 4 large sledge hammers going about 6X faster than the hammer can be swung by a big man. Would you let a man hit you as fast and hard as he could with only one sledge hammer in your shoulder? Well that's nothing compared to the kick of a 1 bore.

Such a gun would be a novelty only.
For someone that wants to say "I own the only 1 bore "sporting rifle" there is", (and someone that can afford to have such a thing made) I guess I could say, yes, I can make it. My lathe is large enough to do it. I have the skills and I can get a piece of wood large enough to make the stock.

But why would you want to?

Such a piece is actually nothing but a wall gun without the ability to mount it to a wall, or a deck gun without the ability to mount it to the transom of a gun boat.

now here's a poser. if that rifle weighs 35 pounds, how much would the recoil pad have to weigh? would a compensator help, or would the blast from that thing actually burn someone's face off? Black powder wouldn't be fun.

now here's a poser. if that rifle weighs 35 pounds, how much would the recoil pad have to weigh?

Not enough.

would a compensator help, or would the blast from that thing actually burn someone's face off? Black powder wouldn't be fun.

A round ball in a 1 bore would weigh a pound or 7000 grains. A normal pointed bullet would weigh considerably more. Recoil from bullet weight alone would be prohibitive. A muzzle brake might help some, but they work best on bottleneck cartridges and don't do anything about bullet weight. The thought of firing a bottlenecked cartridge with a 14000+ grain bullet from the shoulder is frightening.

A one bore is a small cannon, not a large shoulder arm.

I've fired both a .348 carbine and a 30-06 rifle and both punished me more than I choose. That's why I hunt with either a .308 or 30-30 depending upon terrain and the animal hunted.

Jack

My uncle had some old ten gage goose gun single shot. I think it may have been an old Ithaca. I was 21 at the time knocked me right down. My shoulder was brused for a long time

I recently built an AR15 in 458 socom--not really sure why, but that sucker has my shoulder hurting like it hasn't for quite while--and I shoot rifles with more recoil force than it has. I have a theory that some recoils are delivered in "pulses"--whereas others are sharp "hits"--and that's what the socom seems to do.

Not a rifle but I'll never forget years ago showing my brother how to check the pattern of his Harrington & Richardson, single-shot shotgun, chambered in 10 gauge magnum and fired with me curled around the butt stock-from the bench. Truly unforgettable...:eek:

I may be wrong, remembering it wrong, but I was involved in a crossways collision with a drunk driver. Tore my shoulder wide open, it felt like. Thirty years later, it's still not properly repaired. One of the first times I fired a gun afterwards drove straight into a nerve. Oh, my god, my arm went dead for a second, lost all feeling and control, lost the gun and nearly dropped it. It used to happen that way at random times, stabbing, paralyzing, arm falling free.

So that really qualifies, maybe, cartilage torn open and nerves under pressure so that any pressure or impact. started shooting rimfire for a long time.

energy

The concept of the recoil of a one gauge intrigued me enough to run some basics through a recoil energy calculator.....
a 7000 grain projectile fired from a 35 pound gun at 1000 fps and pushed by 270 grains of propellant has a free recoil energy of 591 ft/lbs. As important is that the recoil velocity of the gun is nearly 33fps.
Increase the MV to 1300 fps and the free recoil jumps to 938 ft/lbs and a RV of 41 fps.
For comparison: a 416 Rigby from a Ruger #1 has a free recoil of 65 ft/lbs at 21 fps RV.

My uncle, who was always a little weird, used to spend weekends at Warren Buffets hunting camp outside of Valentine. Over martinis, one evening,Warren saw a porcupine chewing on a wall, threw his glass at it, and said a lot of million dollar words. The critter ran off, and Warren shouted "GET that lousy prickly pig, Larry, get him!"

Uncle Larry jumped to his feet and scrambled into the lodge. Warren had a magnificent collection, safari grade to tiny flobert pistols, all lined up, loaded and locked, in fifty feet of custom cabinets. Now, normally, people line items in a right ascending sort, starting with the daisy on the left and the twelve gauge on the right, but everyone knows that Warren is a devoted contrarian. He started on the left with his custom brno single shot with his little buckaroo .22 on the right. Lawrence, of course, learned from the other college. He snapped up the first rifle in the cabinet and ran.

Off he went into the darkness, a ginned up college boy from eastern Nebraska, bloody eyed and howling for revenge. When Warren saw him run past, the fifteen pound rifle in his fist he shouted "NO, LARRY, THAT'S JUST FOR THE ELLERPHUNTS!" But it was too late. Uncle Larry was half a mile into the sage, gaining fast on the spiny little rodent.

It was only a moment later that he found that frightened little hedgehog type thing cowering in the bushes, wheezing and weeping. Larry himself was also run to the limit, but never going to say uncle. He belly flopped into a prone position, and pulled the trigger.

A monstrous fireball that was even seen in Hayes, Kansas, incinerated an acre of sage. The ranch hands found him the next morning; he recovered consciousness a day later. Larry never got that promotion. He had, however, learned two powerful lessons.

Look at the gun before you pull the trigger.
The .505 Gibbs is not a varmint round.

8mm Lebel Berthier carbine using Hotchkiss machine gun ammo. Ouch.
8x50 Austrian in an M95 Stutzen short rifle is also a banger as are most full military rounds out of carbines. .577 Snider full load in a carbine is similar.

Looking back at my post #108 I am convinced that age and caliber are indirectly proportional. The older you become the smaller the rifle cartridge you are comfortable shooting. Love my 03A3 Remington 30-06 Springfield but it hurts much more than it did 30 years ago. :)

Ron

I was a little to relaxed with my Mosin one time while bench shooting and had that steel butt plate slam into my collar bone....ouch!!! Not the hardest recoiling rifle I have ever shot but do to my lack of attention certainly the one that has hurt me the most.

And here I was thinking that I was the only one to experience this. There were some new curse words invented.

2 come to mind a short 44 mag winchester trapper with full mag 300 grainers. The rifle did not fit me well and it kicked the snot boogers right out of me. # 2 338 win mag in a ruger # 1 It just pushes you Yeah right. I told the fella that I would put that rifle where the sun dont shine in him and pull it out sideways. Liar

Looking back at my post #108 I am convinced that age and caliber are indirectly proportional. The older you become the smaller the rifle cartridge you are comfortable shooting. Love my 03A3 Remington 30-06 Springfield but it hurts much more than it did 30 years ago. :)

Ron
Maybe.
The .50 BMG Barrett semi I have certainly has recoil, but is MUCH "nicer" than a 7mm Weatherby and other tack drivers if shot.
The Barrett is much more of a firm push over 1/2 second than the 10millisecond sting of steel-butt-ed bolt guns.

Back