Most Effective Non-lethal Weapon

Ray33

I've been considering carrying a nonlethal weapon with me all the time and wanted advice on what to choose. I've been considering extendable batons, pepper spray, even tasers. What other nonlethal weapons are there and which is the most effective that I can carry on my person or leave in my car.

The best non lethal weapon for protection/security...

Would be a 4 legged friend, ;) .
Like a Doby or maybe a German Shepard.
If a med/large dog is not in the cards, I'd suggest a C2 Taser or if your budget allows it the Taser X26 model.
www.Taser.com
Chemical agents, impact weapons(ASP, PR24, etc) & other devices may work too but a Taser is safe, portable & easy to learn quickly.

CF

Pepper spray,,,

The stuff made by Fox Labs gets real nice reviews.

A friend of mine accidentally (wink-wink nudge-nudge) sprayed her husband,,,
He whimpered like a little girl for a half an hour.

Was it wrong of me to laugh out loud when she told the story?

Aarond

Dogs are great...but they require intensive training and good luck spending the amount of time needed to keep a German sheppard happy. Not to mention it is gone the second he bites someone.

Extendable batons are not a good idea if you are not willing to put intensive training hours in(and I recomend Kali...which I am practicing right now and the stick still is very hard to use effectively because it isn't just a wack someoe and it works).

Tasers follow the same concealed laws in the state of florida, but you CAN carry stun guns onto university campuses here as long as they do not launch a projectile. I personlly do not want to be that close to someone where they can turn the stun gun on me.

Pepper spray can be turned on you too. I know I am being a negative nancy, but it is good to know the drawbacks of non-lethals. Of course the best bet would be to have a good idea on how to work without the non lethal (as in a generaal self defense class where at the very least you can practice even if you KNOW how to defend yourself) and how to work if the non-lethal is not as effective as you want(and if you choose a defense spray be aware of how much it is going to burn when it gets on you).

Eagle eye seems to have the right idea.

One out of left field for you might be the good old fashioned yo-yo. It was originally a weapon after all.:)

I've been considering carrying a nonlethal weapon with me all the time and wanted advice on what to choose. I've been considering extendable batons, pepper spray, even tasers. What other nonlethal weapons are there and which is the most effective that I can carry on my person or leave in my car.

Fox Labs 5.3 pepper spray is the best solution out of your choices.

http://foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml

aarondhgraham
Pepper spray,,,
The stuff made by Fox Labs gets real nice reviews.
A friend of mine accidentally (wink-wink nudge-nudge) sprayed her husband,,,
He whimpered like a little girl for a half an hour.
Was it wrong of me to laugh out loud when she told the story?
Aarond

Let's put it this way, if a man did this (wink-wink nudge-nudge) to his wife, he could easily lose his gun rights permanently.

Going back to the original question - bear spray.

Pepper spray where legal, kubotan and learn to use it. It scares the bejesus out of the authorities who dislike people who can protect themselves but it can more than double the effectiveness of a blow and is almost impossible to take away from you. When I lived in the Chicago area I made and gave away several to women who needed something but couldn't carry a gun or an effective knife. A small ballpeen hammer handle cut down to just an inch longer than the width of their hands and nobody ever looked twice at it.

Another vote for your brain.

I'll also suggest a dog, though the can't always go everywhere with you. A german shepherd, doberman, rottweiler or any large protection dog is a serious deterrent. I'm surprised all the time by the way people back away from my dog because of how he looks.

As far as weapons go, I don't like pepper spray unless you train to use it correctly. A baton of some sort is good, but once again it comes down to training with it. The taser I like, because you can treat it much like a fire arm and use the same general rules of engagement with it as a handgun.

If you are healthy enough and willing, begin some form of self defense training. Please take something that incorporates grappling and striking as well as a focus on street defense rather than sport applications. Apply what you learn to whatever non-lethal weapon you choose.

I see the dog suggestion again. Something I must point out is that a dog is quite easily rendered useless by a smart attacker with a bit of food. Also remember that not every dog is as aggressive as you want. My father is a vet and I have petted MANY dobbermans and rotties(not in their kennels though...that seems to be whn they aare the toughest). German sheps are a pain to LIVE with. Dog's are a good detterant. But they are about as practical as a 26 barrel shotgun for any kind of moving around.

A well trained dog will not be rendered useless by food. Once you set your trained dog to protect and it's go time they will be single minded in their purpose until you recall them. Once again it boils down to training the dog and yourself.

As far as living with a German shepherd, I don't find it to be a pain. Mine is well mannered and very tolerant of our small children. He requires the same amount of grooming and food as my old golden retriever or spaniel. He's a hell of a lot more intelligent than either of them though, and a lot scarier too.

If you don't want the responsibility of a dog, then don't get one. It would be bad for you and the dog if you don't really want one. I also understand it's hard to always have a dog with you and sometime we don't have time to invest in proper training for the dog in a busy lifestyle.

EXACTLY irish. Training is the most important factor. Not every dog is the same either. Some breeds are "softer" than others. Rotties are suprisingly docile. My question for your German shep though: how often does he get to go out and play? I have seen many a miserable GS who had owners who treated them like a Golden Retriever. They need excersise. They are a work dog and can be neurotic.

But like you said...proper training for owner and dog is important. It is very hard to do that with a dog unless you are a canine officer or have enough spare time(my father is a veterinarian as I have said before...and so he takes his labrador to work with him and so needless to say training time is not an issue...of course it is not aggression training, but retreiving lol).

I'd go with pepper spray. You can use it on multiple attackers from a distance, and it has a lasting effect. Plus it's pretty darn cheap.

If a baton isn't properly used, it can be considered a lethal weapon. And it requires you to be within arm's reach of your attacker(s).

A taser only allows you to engage one attacker. And once you release the trigger, or the battery runs out, you're back to square one. Though it may give you enough time to get to safety.

stonewall50: My GS is actually a mix. He's GSD/Rottweiler and he looks like a GS from the neck back, but has the larger rottie head and chest. He goes out regularly, but nothing fancy, I walk him after work for a while.

Mine doesn't really play, it's the strangest thing. He has very little interest in toys unless you basically hand it to him, even then if it isn't tough and squeaky he only cares for a few seconds. I tried to throw balls and sticks for him and he just kind of does it to amuse me. He will kind of pounce and chase a bouncing ball, but only once or twice and then he's done. He spends most of his day following kids and jumping over baby gates.

Back