Most effective 223 deer loads

I have killed deer and hogs with my 223, so I have some history on what works. If I intended to hunt deer (or pigs) regularly with my 223, I would use the 60 gr Nosler Partition. I want a blood trail if I lung shoot them. And, I have had some luck with the 65 gr Sierra Gameking, but it won’t penetrate like the Partition.

Its the bullet and the velocity. Powder is whatever works.

I see some good responses per above, go with it.

Plan B: Plan on shooting you're quarry more than once.
Although the 223 cartridge is legal in you're area. A hunters common sense often may suggest use otherwise.

Where I hunt deer are big in stature. Although the 223 is legal in this State also do to popularity. When asked to allow a 223 shooter onto my property. Such individual has a outstanding chance if he's a wounded Vet or just a Vet. I'll even guide him/her and that person >is going home with a deer! Anyone else other than? Depends on my attitude that day.

We recently tested bullets in water jugs at close range (50 yd) and at hunting ranges (130) yd). Only three bullets held together with good penetration at both ranges, 60 gr Nosler Partition, 62 and 64 gr Gold Dot/Fusion, and 64 gr Win Power Point.

The Sierra 65 gr Game Kings were a huge disappointment despite being very accurate and the Nosler 64 gr solid base and Speer 70 gr SP failed as well.

Never ceases to amaze me. This question has been asked at least once a year for the past 15 or so years that I have been on TFL. The answers never change. 223 will kill deer and hogs. Is it the best choice? No. Is it legal? In some places, yes. What are good bullets? Heavy ones because 223 is small.

Since the people asking already know it is marginal for deer, why not look for something that works better?

Here in Maine anything from 22 mag rimfire on up goes for deer. Our deer tend to be big, and our woods thick. Laws are generally hard to change too. I have no idea how that 22 mag got in there.

That 22 mag rule is stretching it , I am surprised at that . I know they will kill a deer but that seems a bit strange to allow them . Old school law of the woods I guess .

A whole lot of posters giving answers to a question not asked. He did not ask about the effectiveness of a .223 on deer in general...he specifically asked which bullets are most effective.

Since the people asking already know it is marginal for deer, why not look for something that works better?

The only way a person can state positively that the .223 is marginal for deer is to have shot many (a statistically significant number), have it fail and some how still recover all the deer and do a post mortem. In most cases, the people who opine have not observed an adequate number of .223 deer kills to have a basis for their opinions. Also, anecdotes are not data.

By the way, the reason my Vietnam vet brother used his AR15 .223 (a very early one sans forward assist) to take a deer one season, was that he had fallen out of a tree during the bow season and was in too much pain to hold anything heavier to shoot his buck...even then he had to support it on a deadfall and shoot one handed.

77 Match Kings do the job, plenty of evidence out there .
Sierra specifically does not recommend MK bullets for hunting due to thin jackets. I have seen reports of users happy with hunting performance with Hornady 75 gr BTHP.

Yes they do not recommend them , but people worldwide hunt/cull deer with them with great success. Try a quick google, one forum was up to 28 pages of photos and info . Just stating the facts, not making anyone use them . I am not a blood and guts photographer , but I can recommend them . These are 77 Tipped Match Kings, and only them. No other Match King does the same thing .

Last edited:
And yet others post from personal experience , you just have to sift through it .
Speaking from personal experience I've seen a lot of deer lost after being shot with a .243 which is marginally better than a .223. I'm sure there have been deer taken with a .223 in my neck of the woods but I personally don't know anybody that has hunted with one.

Speaking from personal experience I've seen a lot of deer lost after being shot with a .243 which is marginally better than a .223. I'm sure there have been deer taken with a .223 in my neck of the woods but I personally don't know anybody that has hunted with one.

I wonder how many deer were lost because the hunter used bullets intended for varmint hunting or target shooting? With the proper bullets, both cartridges are adequate for deer.
Bullet construction is the most important issue.
Just because a bullet weighs more doesn't mean it's suitable for big game. A good example of that is the .224 Speer 70 gr SP, which is intended for varmint hunting and fragments accordingly.

In my area of the woods here in Michigan, any unrecovered deer are called "misses", not poor bullet performance. :)

I'm just curious, if the .243, which is capable of bullets more than half again the weight of 223 bullets with similar velocities, is only "marginally better than a .223" (which is arguably sufficient), where do you like to be to attain adequate suitability?

Tough crowd, some people know how to shoot and some suck at it . Plain and simple . I wonder how many deer/animals die terrible deaths because of all the guys that flinch because they have to have a heavy caliber ?

Last edited:
Back