Most durable handgun you can think of?

I wonder if crossbreed could make me a iwb holster for a .54 flintlock pistol. Might have to buy way oversized pants

A Ruger Single-Six, in 22 LR.

The trailer hitch ball of handguns.

If you manage to wear one out, you have done something to brag about.

Actually, if you manage to wear out any quality handgun, brag about it.

For durability, a Ruger Redhawk is the king on the mountain. We aren't talking favorites or abuse. We are talking durability. And, we all know deep down inside the answer to this one. God Bless

Have to agree with the Redhawk. I bought mine, in .44 mag, to experiment with heavy loads, before I decided that was no fun. Was able to fry a couple scopes, before settling on Burris, which don't seem to break, but the gun was the recommended item for doing just this at the time. Any others, other than perhaps the Dan Wesson, which was astronomically priced, were not. The icing on the cake was that I considered it the most beautiful revolver ever produced. Still do, though it generally sits in the safe, as my focus shifted early to autos. That said, my Colt Mark IV ingested about 15-20,000 rounds during a stretch of a few years, while I prepared for IPSC. I still consider it the finest gun I own. And the early Ruger rimfire autos go without saying, if you're considering rimfire.

weakness

Its just not lots of shooting that will disable or spoil a handguns usefullness. The weak link in all the top quality DA revolvers, and any auto so equipped as well, is the dang gum adjustable rear sights. I personally, thru no intentional act, have goobered the rear sights on a Smith L-frame, and a Smith K, both in duty rigs, resultant of a hard fall at just the right angle and landing on the holster. Didn't do me any good either.

Saw an accessory the other day, a HD looking "fixed" rear sight, that screws into the recess of the rear target sight for S & W revolvers. That would be an attractive accessory to me, were I too be carrying a Smith for serious business.

The old channel type fixed sight as on the Model 10 's M&P's and the big 1917 and New Service types, and the original Peacemakers would have held up much better I'm sure. So too I suspect fixed (well driftable) steel/metal sights on an auto like the 1911 and others. The factory sights on all Glock, adjustable or not, are pretty crappy. MY G34 today had a plastic dingy hanging off the front blade, which I had to clip off.....looked like a hangnail.

Another chink in many pistols are the grips. Loose a grip panel, and on some models, very vital mechanisms are no longer contained or retained in their proper locations. For all my enthusiasm for the brand, the SIGS are a classic example of this fault. Yeah, proper maintenance should catch a loose grip screw....but stuff happens. In really rough use, stuff gets wacked pretty hard, abused regularly. And it may be some time between maintenance intervals. Check out combat photos of any era, .....guns missing parts/cracked parts, are pretty common.

While I'm at it

Surprised, really by all the endorsements of the Makarov. Its predecessor, the Tokarev, had even fewer parts (I suspect) including an ejector that was a milled part of the frame. The Tok seems like the AK of handguns.

Ruger Single Six unless you need something with more power then Ruger NM Blackhawk in 357. Stainless if you wish but all guns need cleaning and lube to survive.

IMO the Glock 17 appears to be the king of round count durability. All steel is king for time/years durability while alloy is somewhere inbetween. Round count can approach 100K using a fast powder loaded just to reliable cycling for the 45ACP and 9mm.

Last edited:
Right now, Ive got a couple of Glocks that are doing pretty good. My one 17 Ive been keeping track of, just past 84,000 rounds yesterday.

I never had any issue with my Colt 1911's, SIG's, HP's, HK's, and a few others either, although I dont have round counts on them. They were shot like the Glocks while it was their turn.

I havent had very good luck with most of the 1911 clones or the Rugers though.

Gaston Glock shot with his left hand in case the pistol blew-up in developing his pistol. This level of commitment along with his US marketing guru, Karl Walther, appears to have impacted the industry in a big way.

Toklat Ruger Super Redhawk in .454, with the proviso one uses ONLY .45 LC standard velocity ammo.

60,000 cup gun using only 18,000 cup ammo ought to last forever.

Deaf

SRH.: IN 454 EVEN IF YOU CAN STAND THE RECOIL 50% OF THE TIME IT WILL LAST YEARS AN YEARS. HAD MINE ABOUT 20 YEARS.Maybe the grandkids can tear it up.But I dont think so.;)

Last edited:
Durable

I shoot just about every week and have for years. Truthfully, I've never owned a non-durable pistol. I've had pistols that had some issues but as far as wearing one out, I haven't done it.

My highest round count pistols are probably Glock's. With well over 10K rounds through a couple. I have a Glock 23 that I've carried for 16 years and shoot regularly. It looks like new and have little discernible wear. They've been fired a lot, and carried a lot BUT NOT PRESENTED FROM THE HOLSTER A LOT. Most people would probably guess 1K or less through them. I've always lubed with RemOil with Teflon and Sentry Hi-Slip grease on all contact points. I don't think most could afford the ammo to wear a pistol out today. I know I couldn't.

Saxon Pig,

You have a point. I have similar Luger and S&W revolver. They seem like they will last forever. And I like that you had your bike for so long.

For new models, yes my Hi-point and Glocks and Baretta px4 storm are all durable as anything.

As it is just hobby and not LEO, my guns will be my kids guns as some of mine were my Dad's and his Dad's etc. They last a long time if you just store them properly and do not let them rust!

I found a Colt army special .38 revolver in my Mother in laws papers in a box when she passed a few years back. It was her grandfather's from around 1914 when he was a cop in Chicago. The action is still wonderfully beautiful. I am glad I found it.

There was a time when I was a Ruger guy. The last P-95 I bought though, moved me away. The extractor loses its temper, and fails to extract. I've replaced it 4 times, and Ruger refuses to actually fix the gun.
Fine. Since then, it's been Glock all the way. They just plain work. The 19 and 17 are fine with the 33 round magazines, while the 17L and the 26 are not. Knowing that prevents any mistakes. The 26 can handle up to a 17 round magazine. There's nothing left to want.

I have a RIA full size 1911 9mm that out shot a glock 19 and SW MP 9mm using some gosh all full china loads, smelled like fireworks. Glock and SW started jamming, RIA kept right on banging. Its loose and finish is ugly but it shoots accurate and anything you feed it.

Back