Most durable handgun you can think of?

If you google torture testing for Glocks, Sigs, CZs, you'll see some incredibly impressive postings.
Or Google Hi-Piont to see the real abuse champion, and TRULY no questions asked warrantee, and customer service!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=91A6ABE5CB19E79268B291A6ABE5CB19E79268B2

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=BA082882E804FCD9E051BA082882E804FCD9E051

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=5B6EF7F5CECBC53983E85B6EF7F5CECBC53983E8

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=0130706F62F3FCB1CCB60130706F62F3FCB1CCB6

Not saying it's the best gun to own. Although my experience with the C9 (9MM), and JHP (45cap) that I have show me they are amazingly accurate. Especially for the price. But the question is about durability.:D

JohnKSa said:
When you look at how much it costs to buy enough ammo to wear out a good quality gun, it becomes obvious that agonizing over the durability differences in various quality designs is pretty pointless.

I came to the same conclusion, for the price of ammo to wear out any gun you could buy several of them over again.

Any name brand gun will outlive the owner. I have several pistols that are 70-100+ years old and have been used extensively and are still working just fine. Avoid the cheap imports made before 1968 and you should have no worries.

I'm guessing you're a young man who has grown up in this disposable age. I grew up when things were meant to last...and be repaired if they stopped working.

No young man here; my S&W 627 .357 magnum and my 617 .22LR are good candidates to make it 70 - 100 years. But these don't see but occasional range time either.

But anything riding in one of my holsters has to be armored by a gunsmith at least once a year. I keep the inspection report handy in the event of a SHTF situation so I can prove in writing that my EDC has been recently inspected and is in good working ORIGINAL condition.

I have no problem with the notion that many of the older guns were produced to a high workmanship standard that doesn't exist anymore. But why should I risk my life with an heirloom piece that the manufacturer no longer supports or produces replacement parts for, and the aftermarket no longer produces accessories for? Question, have you tried to buy complete replacement magazines or even just the plastic mag followers for a S&W 1076 10mm lately? Can't find 'em, S&W or Mec-Gar no longer produce 10mm mags for the 3rd Gen guns. I have no issue with keeping the antiques for an occasional trip to the range. But I practice with my EDC guns a lot, and I need to be able to service these if something malfs or if I need to replace or add magazines.

Dakota sez:
Colt 1911 I guess.

I think he's right. It's service record speaks to great durability. From 1911 through 1948 a good many 1911's were used by the U.S. and allied countries. After 1948 the U.S. ordered no new ones (till recently). So from 48 through the Korean war, Viet Nam and a number of smaller wars and conflicts the 1911 was rebuilt and rebuilt so it kept functioning. It was replaced beginning in 1986 by the M9. Except for certain Marine units which stuck to the 1911.

These units kept rebuilding the old WWII guns. Some had frames with over 400,000 rounds through them. In the late 1990s they bought a few new Kimbers and in this century some Springfields to augment what they had. 2 years ago they ordered more 1911s from Colt. So I figure they are durable.

The Browning Hi-Power served the British military from during WWII till about two years ago. An impressive record of durability and service matched only by...the 1911, and maybe the S&W M&P revolver.

So three proven reliable and durable guns. Unmatched by any other as service sidearms.

tipoc

Makarov vote here. Less moving parts then your floating barrel counter parts. I had one for a bit only ever shot 2 things a target holder frame which sucked because it was the first day I got the target holder and I shot a squirrel with it that was fun.

Durable

Durable - simple. Mispec Makarov. Soviet version of our 1911 but less moving parts. I think you'd actually have to deliberately try to break one.
Soviet version of our 1911??
That requires some explaining. Soviet version of a Walther maybe.
The Makarov is a durable gun; more importantly, it is reliable.
Back when soviet ammo was cheap and available, I bought cases of Mak ammo.Shot it all. NOT ONE ftf.
My 1911 GC is well over 60k reliably.

I have an Remington New Model Army that still shoots fine after 150 years. That's pretty durable.

photo87_zps3e11c74d.jpg

From my experience its two of my Rugers; the New Vaquero or 22/45. Both are built like tanks and take anything I can throw at them. Also, I've found that my M&P is pretty tough as well. I don't buy into the notion that any brand name is guaranteed to out last the owner. I've had too many guns break on my over the years to have that kind of faith.

I'd nominate a medieval hand-cannon. No rifling, springs, slide rails, or small parts to wear out. Heck, there aren't any moving parts at all unless you count whatever piece of burning material you stick in the flash hole to ignite the powder. Might be kind of hard to find a IWB holster though:p

Most any caliber Ruger Blackhawk....virtually indestructible, especially so in stainless steel. In 50+ years of handgun shooting, a Ruger single action would be my first choice. Rod

Back