Most accurate handgun...

Sure, part of my point was that a well made and well tuned 1911...will shoot very good groups.

My primary carry gun is a Wilson Combat 5", 1911 ( CQB model ) in .45 acp....and I practice a lot with a Wilson Combat Protector model, 5" gun in 9mm....they are both guaranteed with 1" groups at 25 yds... / 99% of the time, I will carry one of these two Wilson's. They are both well made...but I don't consider them competition guns / they're everyday guns,

Sig X-Five L-1 model is about 55 oz with a full mag in it / mine is chambered in .40 S&W...and while I have a Kramer horsehide leather holster for it / and will draw and fire it at the range...its too heavy to carry even with a good belt and holster ( and I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs...)... The X-Five L-1 model was really created as a race / or competition gun ( not in my hands ) ...fun to shoot / but not a carry gun.

I have a holster for my mod 83 Freedom Arms as well ...it has a 4 3/4" octagonal barrel...and its close to 55 oz as well...and too heavy to carry as well. Again its fun to shoot ...but not a carry gun in my view.
-----------------
But since accuracy was your point...yes, there are a number of very good 1911's out there that will compete with good revolvers for accuracy. I'm 65 yrs old ....so in my age group / the 1911 has lived on as a primary weapon / it sure didn't go away with most of us, in my age group, --- in the 70's, or 80's, or 90's, etc....

While not a top competition pistol, I was working up loads for a Sig P220 and it was shooting really well at 25 yards, with the best loads in the 1/2" center-to-center range. I don't have much experience with Sigs but this impressed me.

SigTgt200SWC-1_zps8eb6a1d5.jpg

NRA said a Freedom Arms .22 was the most accurate handgun ever tested for American Rifleman, NRA and ISU target pistols included.

MY most accurate pistol is an elderly High Standard Supermatic Citation Military.
My most accurate centerfire auto is a Colt Combat Commander with full accurizing treatment. I have not Ransom rested a good revolver but a friend's Taurus is amazingly accurate with WWB .357s.

In terms of "factory" centerfire pistols, my vote goes to the Smith & Wesson Model 52, chambered in .38 Special. Mine has proven to be extremely accurate and the superb trigger pull helps the shooter derive all the intrinsic accuracy the pistol is capable of. I also have a Smith Model 945, chambered in .45 ACP, that is very accurate.

Normal handgun mind you, not a T/C Contender or Remington bolt.

Contenders and the XP-100 ARE normal handguns!!!!
They just aren't repeaters.

IF you are going to exclude them, you ought to exclude all the purpose built target pistols, too.

But overall, the question of which one is the most accurate in a rest hardly matters other than as interesting information. We don't shoot them that way, and a 1/2MOA gun in the hands of a 3MOA shooter is a 3MOA gun.

I can get 5 shots overlapping from my Colt Govt model .45acp at 25yds. That's a 2-2.5" group, but all holes are touching.

I have gotten a 1" 5 shot 25yd group with a .44 Auto Mag. (and if you think is easy, try it!:D) I've had similar results with a Desert Eagle.

The Hammerli 280 in my experience is the most accurate I've ever shot.
I bet! Nice test group, too! Are you aware that match pistol is banned in several states because it is legally an "assault weapon"?

But overall, the question of which one is the most accurate in a rest hardly matters other than as interesting information. We don't shoot them that way, and a 1/2MOA gun in the hands of a 3MOA shooter is a 3MOA gun.

But a 3 MOA gun in the hands of a 3 MOA shooter is a 6 MOA gun.

It's not that bad actually. Because both errors are random and each is composed of a random direction and random magnitude, a straight addition won't provide the resulting overall error. The odds are virtually nil that both shooter and gun errors will be in the same direction and at maximum magnitude at the same time to add up to the worst case in one direction. When you factor in the necessity for that extremely rare event to repeat in exactly the opposite direction just a few shots later to make the full 6 MOA group it makes it even less likely than virtually nil.

I don't want to pull my probability books out, but suffice it to say that a 3MOA gun and a 3MOA shooter will combine to make groups significantly bigger than 3MOA but significantly smaller than 6MOA.

Accuracy

Just for the record....the national record for 20 shots slow Fire with a .45 at 50 yards....one hand unsupported.....is 200-11X by B.D. Harmon (10/30/1982). Using a 1911. 10 ring is 3.36", Xring is 1.7".
A gifted shooter and an accurate gun.
For comparison...the record for the same course of fire with a .22 is 200-12X, held jointly by two men. No idea what pistols were used.

The national record for 90 shots with a .45 (20 at 50 yds slow fire, 20 at 25 yds. Timed fire, 20 at 25 yds. Rapid fire and then 30 shots (10 slow, 10 timed, 10 rapid) is 897-49X out of a possible 900-90X. All one hand unsupported. 1911.
For .22 the record is 898-62X.
Pete

Last edited:
Not attempting to start an argument but trying to glean more info...

Is it safe to say that if a guy can run up the same (or quite similar) score with a handgun punching .224" holes as the guy punching .452" holes, the .22 performance must be considered better due to the smaller hole?

Or would it be more accurate to say (haha, pun there) that you simply can't compare them directly and the final answer should be that either or both are excellent feats but making a distinction isn't possible?

Sevens said:
Is it safe to say that if a guy can run up the same (or quite similar) score with a handgun punching .224" holes as the guy punching .452" holes, the .22 performance must be considered better due to the smaller hole?

All else equal, I'd say so, but my bet is that the recoil difference equals out the feat.

BTW, in Run&Gun competition, I've known some who shoot downloaded .40S&W instead of 9mm for this very reason. In a typical match, you can always count on a few rounds getting ohhh sooo close, but not quite touching a scoring perforation, whereas a bigger hole would touch the perf.

I know a guy who hits clay pigeons no problem one handed with a Colt Gold Cup 1911. However, my dad swears the most accurate handgun he's ever had was his Colt Python, which he sadly sold:(

Sig X-Five in 9mm.

My Sig X-Five 9mm will beat my custom STI 2011 45acp with Schuemann ported/hybrid barrel/slide, especially at 75 feet.

I've never shot a Sig P210, but its hard for me to see how I could possibly shoot a P210 better than my X-Five.

Last edited:

If someone shoots 3moa they're a darn good shot .75" at 25yds.

My M617 is probably my most accurate handgun, just edging out my Ruger Mk II

JamesK is right again. The mare's leg wins.

Hämmerli 120 compared to a 212. The 120 also leaves my 208 behind. It is pure sports equipment.

imagejpg1_zps06e1654a.jpg

Most accurate handgun.

My S&W 617 10 shot, 4inch is my own personal most accurate.Loves Fed. Lightning solids. I hit things with it that i shouldn't be able to. Uncanny.:D

Excluding the "weird" pistols, I'D bet on a factory-tuned S&W M14 or an M1950 target .45 ACP from the same company. Never shot a Freedom Arms revolver enough to fully evaluate it, but they could surprise me. When shooting slow-fire no--rest at long distances, I shot groups and made hits with a couple of Colt Pythons at ranges exceeding 120 yards that took far more effort to make with other similar revolvers. I just couldn't get the Pythons to shoot as well as the others at shorter distances where speed mattered.

At 25 yards from a rest, where speed is not an issue, a Python might take the prize.

Back