Most accurate handgun...

Quincy

I know this is a bit of an esoteric question, but I’m just curious, what would generally be thought of as the most accurate handgun at 25 yards? Normal handgun mind you, not a T/C Contender or Remington bolt. I suspect the Freedom arms revolvers, would a tuned 1911 compete? And what would you expect, minus the human factor. Say in a Ransom Rest, ½” groups at 25 yard, better, worse? Just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks.

Quincy said:
what would generally be thought of as the most accurate handgun at 25 yards?...I suspect the Freedom arms revolvers, would a tuned 1911 compete?

As far as platforms, revolvers and semi-autos each have their compromises, but generally, revolvers get a slight nod for out-of-the box accuracy. 1911s can be tuned to match-grade accuracy, but to keep the comparison fair, so can revolvers, and often with less effort.

Among revolvers, I suspect the shorter double action hammer travel would help accuracy, but few are as good with a DA trigger.

I've never shot one, but FA revolvers have a reputation for excellent accuracy, due, in part, to the fact that their chambers are lined-bored with the barrel.

Quincy said:
And what would you expect, minus the human factor. Say in a Ransom Rest, ½” groups at 25 yard, better, worse? Just wondering what your thoughts are.

A match-grade handgun ought to be able to clean the x-ring of an NRA bullseye target, which is about 0.7" at 25 yards and 1.7" at 50 yards. This is about what I've always felt an expect an in-spec, but otherwise factory stock S&W revolver to be able to deliver with match ammo. A 1911 ought to be able to deliver this with some good tuning. Given their reputation (and price), I'd certainly expect a FA revolver to deliver at least this level of accuracy.

If you're looking for an accurate semi-auto, do some research into CZs as well.

In past Ransom Rest testing of revolvers, the gunzines have found that the Dan Wessons with their unique barrel lockup tend to shade both the Python and the Smith 586. The Ruger GP100 also is no slouch and probably in a category with the Smiths and Colts.

IIRC, the gunzine tests were pushed to 100 yards and the result differences were in fractions of an inch.

Of course, with any handgun, you sometimes have to make sure you find the right combination of bullet design, consistent bullet weight and powder load which matches the twist of the barrels.

I would think that one of the bullseye competition handguns would be the most accurate offhand. As to whether center or rim fire would rule at that distance, it would be fun to find out.

The best revolvers will beat the best locked-breech semi-autos. Not sure about rimfire semi-autos versus revolvers, but a rimfire semi-auto will beat any other kind of semi-auto. Many regard the Feinwerkbau AW93 as the finest rimfire semi-auto target pistol in the world. The most accurate American rimfire semi-auto target pistol is the S&W Model 41, but most of us mere mortals probably can't see any difference in accuracy between it and cheaper options, like the Rugers.

The 1911 platform gets the most attention from the lion's share of the top gunsmiths in the U.S. (and, by extension, the world), but it's certainly not the only platform that can be tuned for bullseye competition-level accuracy. David Sams built Beretta 92s for the Army Marksmanship Unit (and still builds them for private buyers) that produce sub-1.3" 10-shot groups at 50 yards. Shooters of AMU Berettas hold a number of records at Camp Perry. The best test target among my Swiss P210s is from a P210-5 that shot a ~1.4" six-shot group at 50 meters (54.68 yards), which would be ~1.28" at 50 yards (and which is still not as statistically impressive as a 1.3" ten-shot group at 50 yards).

I haven't scoped my Freedom Arms revolver, so I haven't come anywhere near its intrinsic accuracy at long distances, but I remember reading about people achieving ~1-inch five-shot groups at 100 yards. Perhaps it can do better. I imagine that Korth revolvers fare pretty well too. Same with the Manurhin MR73.

If the only criterion is "handgun", the so-called "free pistols" will beat every other gun, hands down. There is no compromise, no attempt to make a plinker or a self defense pistol; they are made for one purpose and one purpose only, to hit a small target when fired by the finest shooters in the world. For any other purpose, they are useless, but in that field, nothing else can touch them.

Jim

Best groups ever in my hands?
Freedom Arms model 97 .357
HK USP Elite (6") 9mm
S&W 952
Les Baer P-II 1911 in .38 Super

I would imagine any of the above would do under an inch in a Ransom rest, they all did close to that over sand bags at one point or another.

The most accurate handgun I have owned was a Brazilian S&W 1917 (1937) with a
lightly pitted barrel. With hard cast or jacketed bullets it is a one holer. Full disclosure, that was 20+ years ago when I could still see.

Hamden-made High Standard could'a been a contender back when. Haven't heard much about current production, but my early Citation is the most accurate handgun I've ever held. To include a Baikal.

The new Texas made High Standards are very accurate. I love the Hamden guns but the new barrels are just better. Well under 1" @ 50 yards. A free pistol is more accurate but it is not what I would call normal.

TrophyTgtSK.jpg

Target Pistols

There is no doubt as JamesK posted, Free style target pistols are by far the most
accurate pistols made. I have owned a couple. A 22 and a 32wc. They are made
to carry in case to range not holstered for field. The closest to this type was the
Browning Olmpic Medalist. That was priced so most shooters could buy one. I'm
not bad mouthing S&W 41 or the Hi-Standards & Colts in this bracket, the aren't
in same class. If you have the chance to shot one of these you will realize what
accuracy is.

If the T/C Contender was wiped out of the running in the first post, I would think that multi-thousand dollar Olympic competition free pistols would also be out of this conversation.

In the handguns that I own, I would probably imagine that it's a K-frame S&W, but the truth is that while it's close... I can do better with my 845.

The Hammerli 280 in my experience is the most accurate I've ever shot. Note the 25 meter (27 yards), 5 round factory test target that accompanied this one:

2dc5vu8.jpg

As much as I like the Ruger Mks, I've never found one that would compete on the same level with a Model 41, nor have I found a Model 41 that could outshoot a Hammerli Trailside. A well-mannered Model 17 will give any of the small bores a run for their money.

Of the larger calibers, a Model 27 or 19 comes to mind for wheelguns, while the CZ 75 TS and Sig X5 are highly competitive. Of the 1911s I've owned over the years, it would be a toss up between a Nighthawk Talon and a Clark Hardball gun. My odd new favorites are two slightly massaged plastic guns: a Glock 24 and an M&P 9 Pro.

Drm50 wrote: The closest to this type was the Browning Olmpic Medalist. That was priced so most shooters could buy one. I'm not bad mouthing S&W 41 or the Hi-Standards & Colts in this bracket, the aren't in same class.

I have to respectfully disagree as to High Standards (at least the ones I own) compared to Browning Medalist. I have a Medalist and an International Medalist. They are both fine pistols but I would not say they are more accurate than the High Standard. The S&W 41 and Colt may be a different story as the one 41 I had did not shoot as well as the Brownings.

Brownings3.jpg

I'll vote for the Freedom Arms revolvers....

I have a model 83 ( large frame ) Freedom Arms in .357 mag...and it's easily capable of 1" groups at 25 yds....

.....but 1" groups at 25yds is also capable from a couple of my Wilson Combat full sized 1911's....and probably the Sig X-Five L-1 model....

Free pistols

Ok, I really didn't think about competition pistols, but obviously, they would shoot rings around anything else. I'm thinking primarily about handguns that are general purpose, something you could carry in a holster possibly, etc. Part of my thought behind the question is in general could 1911's compete with a good revolver and are there other platforms that may not be as popular at the moment, but would certainly be competitive. It wasn't that long ago (late '70's) that the 1911 was all but gone from the scene. Thanks.

Back