Most accurate Bolt Action rifle?

Most accurate Bolt Action rifle?
Is there a definitive answer for the $500-800 price range(new or used)?

With that price point in mind I would consider a Savage or if you can find an older Remington 700 for example a Remington 700 VSSF. . You don't mention a caliber? The Tika is another good rifle or a CZ. That price point does not include good optics unless you find a used rifle with good optics already on it. No, there is no definitive answer.

Ron

If you can find an older 700 ADL, that would be my choice. Then I've had a lot of good 700's, next guy might not have! These help me choose a rifle thread's just don't seem to me to work. Problem being so many people have their favorite and for them it's the best, doesn't mean it is. I had a few Sako's years ago that shot tiny little group's. I have a few 700's right now that shoot tiny little group's. I also have a Mossberg Patriot that shoot's tiny little group's. The question should be which was my best shooter. Well none of them. Best shooting rifle I ever had was a Rem 788 in 222 Rem. It shot tiny little group's every time I shot it! One thing to keep in mind is I re-bedded every one of these rifles except the Mossberg. I fooled with every trigger except the 788, 1903 and the Mossberg. And I re-loaded for every one of them. Best group' for me generally seemed to come with Sierra Match Kings!

Point is you ask 10 different people the same question about pretty much anything and you could get ten different answer's. My answer is based on owning several different brands of rifles, re-bedding, trigger jobs and handloaing. The only rifle' I can speak for are Sako, Rem 700's, Rem 660's, Rem 788's, Ruger 77, Winchester 70 and a custom 1903. I have shot other brands of rifle's but not enough to know much about them. When I do look for a new rifle, I look for one I like to look at and either has a wood stock or a wood stock is available. I make my rifle's shoot! Well at least to what I can live with! It's not as much what rifle to buy as it is what you do with what you have!

Most rifles shoot. That's about the size of it. - Seriously, it's very demanding to be able to shoot inside of .5 moa every time and every day. It's also very expensive. Accuracy is strictly subjective. I don't use factory barrels on my rifles. However I recently bought a tikka forest 222 rem for a hunting rig for a friend. After floating,bedding and resetting trigger, I'll be testing and load developing this summer. I honestly can't recommend any factory stock rifle because I've never had one that shoots the way I want it to. This tikka? Who knows?

I vote for the 1903.
I remember a guy who drove from Idaho to buy two of the 03s my father was selling. We should have kept all 4 of them. Only two left. I still shoot the one with the ladder sight. I do like iron sight shooting; but my eyes just ain't like they once was.

What rifles arent good shooters nowadays?

Answer? A savage axis in that really crappy stock before you bed the action (and preferably reinforce the forearm). After that it's a shooter.

But in general I agree with you. Once upon a time, and not very long ago, buying a rifle that would shoot better than 1 moa out of the box wasn't as common, and any kind of accuracy guarantee was usually expensive. Now I would say most rifles are capable of this kind of accuracy, or can be once the action is bedded. We gripe about manufacturers "cheaping out" all the time, but they have also gotten much better in many aspects.

Last edited:
5whiskey makes an excellent point.

The other pitfall many new shooters make is when they select a scope, they worry they will spend too much, when more experienced guys are worried they will spend too little.

Back