Most accurate Bolt Action rifle?

WOW!
Loaded question!
Like your wife asking if these pants make her butt look big... :(

Without doing ANYTHING other than pulling it off the rack & shooting it, Savage accutrigger models do a pretty good job... But that's a long way from definitive!

Ruger American needs trigger adjustments, which isn't off the shelf & shoot, but it's not expensive or difficult.

A Rem 700 leaves money on the table for a reasonable trigger.
The latest factory triggers are horrible and take a ton of work to be mediocre.

The answer for your wife is "You Look Great, Honey!"
The TRUTH about your wife is, your butt IS BIG, the pants are innocent bystanders like I am! ;)

For what application??
Target? Hunting (what type)?

What type of accuracy?
Cold-bore is one thing, being able to shoot long strings for target without groups scattering like a shotgun is another.

A Tikka T3x is a great hunting rifle, lousy choice for benchrest target shooting, nor would you want to to pack a heavy-barrel 700 into the mountains for a 3-day hunt.

03 Springfield

I still shoot the 03 Springfield; one of 4 my father bought after WW2 ( $35. each & still in cosmoline ). Hell of a rifle. The sabot rounds hit 4,000+ fps.; but they are light & can wander on windy days. Some trivia. If you ever use any ancient ,30 caliber ball, surplus military rounds, remember, many had very hot primers ( Mercury fulminate ) and those primers were very corrosive. So a good scrubbing is in order if you use any of that ammunition.

Last edited:
With my 03 Springfield, the trick was finding a topnotch gunsmith who could mount the Kahles Competition Telescopic sight , without drilling. So far ( and it's been years ), the mount is holding steady. I rarely need to tune in the sight. Ironic that the Kahles scope cost many many many Xs more than the rifle. Kahles telescopic sights are the cat's ass.

Far too many variables, but the acknowledged "best bang for the buck" out of the box is a Savage. Which model doesn't matter.
Even then, if you're not reloading you'll have to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo that that particular rifle shoots best. Rimfire or center fire, doesn't matter and neither does the price of that ammo.
I'm probably the exception with Savage. Owned 2, a 10 fp in .223 and a 12 VSS in .22-250. The 10 fp was extremely accurate for a stock gun but it was a crap shoot if the next round would enter the chamber. Fifty percent of the time the next round would not enter the chamber. The 12 VSS, was the most inaccurate rifle I ever owned. As the barrel warmed up the POI would change by at least 1". I tried for 6 months to make it accurate but gave up in the end.

Remington was always the best for me. They always needed bedding work to shoot but they were accurate.

Winchester was the same as Remington except for recent production. All the new ones I've owned needed nothing to be accurate.

I'm with agtman here: Sako. Mine is a 1963 Finnbear .270 Win that I would never think of selling. The new Sako's are mighty fine rifles. Just not at $800.00 tho.
And to Chaparrel: those 788's were awesome rifles. Not very elegant, but, tack drivers.
As to the most accurate, hmm, I've heard some good things about those Bergara's.

At my age I can't remember why I went to the kitchen....
My wife calls me 'Short Attention Span Theater', thinks it's funny to watch me wonder in circles trying to remember why I was there...

This question was asked on another forum and is, IMO, thought provoking. It would be a tie between my early Ruger M77 .250 Sav and my .350 Rem Mag Special Edition Classic Remington M700. The M77 dates from the early 1970s; the Remington from the early 1980s.

The 300$ rifle, with the 500$ scope. You weren't going to plonk down 800$ on a
rifle, then get all budget and stingy with the scope, now, were you?

The 300$ rifle, with the 500$ scope. You weren't going to plonk down 800$ on a
rifle, then get all budget and stingy with the scope, now, were you?
I still shoot the 03 Springfield; one of 4 my father bought after WW2 ( $35. each & still in cosmoline ). With my 03 Springfield, the trick was finding a topnotch gunsmith who could mount the Kahles Competition Telescopic sight , without drilling. So far ( and it's been years ), the mount is holding steady. I rarely need to tune in the sight. Ironic that the Kahles scope cost many Xs more than the rifle.

So many choices nowadays it's hard to go wrong. I wouldn't hesitate for a $500 Howa Gameking package. Savage 111's, 110's, 116's are all great shooters. Even the Axis and Ruger American shoot good.

The T/C Compass shoots 1 MOA and cost 300 bucks. Pop on a Nikon Prostaff or Leupold vx-1 and you have a great rifle for less than $500 total.

Tikka's are great, Bergara's just make me horny, X-bolts shoot good

With all of these great guns no one will ever agree on which is best. Just go handle one and if you like it, buy it.

I am assuming you want a general/hunting rifle. I'll leave the long range stuff to the tacticool guys

Last edited:
Back