Most accurate .22lr revolver

What about Colt’s like New frontier or Trooper?
I like the New Frontier, but it may have the same issue you are concerned about with the bore diameter. Personally, I don't think it matters much.

The Colt Trooper Mark III is a tank and a very good DA 22 revolver. The old Troopers are nice too and typically accurate. I have a couple I might let go.

The S&W Model 17 or the current 617 are also known for their accuracy. Got a couple of the 17's and an 18.

The Colt Diamondback is a fine 22 revolver also. My first one (4") was reasonably accurate. Had a 6" but I never really took to it like the 4". They are expensive these days.

Colt Officers Model revolvers are very good too and known for their accuracy.

One cannot say that "this model" or "that model" is the "most accurate".

Sure you can. It's the Freedom Arms model 252. Hands down, without question. Second place goes to the Freedom Arms model 97. No Smith & Wesson, Colt or Ruger comes close.

Vaqueros are all centerfire revolvers. None of them are chambered for 22 Long Rifle.

While that statement is true, Ruger did make a fixed sight Single-Six, which is along the same lines as a Vaguero. :)

This is one of the 50 anniversary Single-Six's. I believe they did offer it in a standard version for at least a while. The main reason for bringing it up is to sort of dispute the notion that the fact that is also has a 22 Magnum cylinder hurts the accuracy. There just isn't that much difference. Maybe in theory, but not in the real world. Even with it's hog trough fixed sights, this one is plenty "accurate enough" for soda cans, or pine cones. I've even managed to scare a squirrel or two.

Does anyone have any knowledge about Dan Wesson’s 22.lr revolvers?
Accuracy, reliability etc... compared to m17 or 617 for example

I've owned three or four Dan Wesson 22's over the years. They shoot like laser beams, and are as reliable as an anvil.

The only down side to them is they are HEAVY. They're made on the same frame as the 357's, which is closer to a Smith and Wesson L than it is to a K frame. The much smaller hole in the barrel and cylinder leave a lot of weight. Not a problem if you're just shooting at the range, but in the field, it's a LOT.

I've settled on the Smith and Wesson K-22, Combat Masterpiece as my standard for 22's. It doesn't get shot much anymore. I find shooting 22's at the range to be about like watching paint dry, and I don't get out into the field much anymore, but this one, from 1953, stays here.

Another that is seldom seen, that I've got some experience with is the old Taurus Model 96. A more or less copy of Smith and Wesson's Model 17, it's a sleeper. The one I had shot very well. I should have kept it.

Last edited:
55d0d5cc52e3b4091c0ded662a446894.jpg

Tomorrow going to the range :)

I am looking for a .22 revolver that is accurate enough.
I like the looks and feel of a ruger single six, but heard stories about it’s WMR bore size and its effects on accuracy with .22 long rife.

Don't worry about the bore supposedly made for a 22 mag and and made at .224 ID. I have never measured a 22LR bullet that measured .223. Everyone I have measured has been between .224 up to .226. More than enough to fill the bore. Plus the soft lead 22 bullets bump up to fit the the bore and chamber anyway. Every Ruger single action I have owned and shot has been accurate.

I did once take a Single Six and my box of assorted 22 ammo and shoot a couple of cylinders of each load. It was a real eye opener about how much variation in grouping you will get with different brands of ammo. Testing your gun is far more important than worrying about a .001 difference in bore size.

I shot my old S&W model 34 a few weeks ago for the first time in many years. I couldn't believe how accurate that little pistol was. Mine is one of the older Flat Latch versions I bought 2 decades ago for $250 OTD from a pawn shop. What a great field and trail gun.

Last edited:
I've never owned a K-22 Masterpiece but thinking seriously about saving up some money and buying one after reading this thread. Have shot a lot of squirrels at respectable ranges with my 6" Ruger single -six with the LR cylinder so I think it is accurate enough for almost any use plus it has the mag cylinder. The most accurate 22LR revolver I have ever had the pleasure of shooting was an H&R with a 12 inch barrel belonging to a land surveyor I worked with during my BLM Cadastral Survey days back in the late 70s-early 80s. We took a lot of small game in MI and MO with those 2 revolvers.

I have found the accuracy of the gun is directly proportional to the skills of the trigger puller.

And this is why i want the most accurate gun as i can afford.

When the bullet misses the target, i know for sure that it is not gun’s fault, but mine.

Another vote for Model 17, aka .22 Masterpiece, my 17-4 is very accurate and wasn't shot much when I bought it a flea market

As i posted those pictures earlier, a k22 masterpiece, 17-3, found it’s way to my gun safe.

Couldn’t be happier with it.

I've got an old Taurus 96 Trail Scout...

I picked up a used Taurus 96 probably 10 years ago or so. In the display case at the gun shop I thought it was a Smith 17 at first glance. Then I saw the price and the realization that it was "just a Taurus."

I was skeptical but after coming back and looking it over again and the shop owner dropping the price I took a chance on it.

It turned out to be quite a good shooter back when I could see the sights.

Attachments

• Taurus 96.jpg
    Taurus 96.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 23
There are many good 22s out there including the Dan Wesson, Smith 17, the Ruger Single Six, etc but none of them are the equal of a Freedom Arms revolver. The FA costs a lot more but it is better in every measurable way. The lock up, the barrel, the trigger, the sights, the cylinder gap, etc, etc. They are really a bargain compared to paying a top gunsmith to do all of those things to a production revolver.

45160924614_d57e91d77a.jpg

Back