Most accurate .22lr revolver

I will agree with what has already been said, the most accurate single action would be a Freedom Arms model. For a double action the most accurate would likely be a Korth.
Now if your looking for a more realistic price a nice Smith 17 or 18 provides a quality revolver at a more realistic price for most.

Not being smart - but my answer is it's the one that YOU practice with, lend how it shoots and is accurate for you. Some people feel the need for adjustable sights - others don't. Personally, I hate them. A good SA with fixed sights will shoot just as accurately as a fancy DA with adjustable sights if you leaarn how the gun shoots with specific ammo - but practice is the key.

Don't fall in to the trap that accuracy is associated with price - it isn't. I have a Rough Rider that is very accurate if I do MY job - I've read posts of fellows who squirrel hunt with a Rough Rider with theo long barrel and can knock the tree frats out of the top of a tree with no problems. I also have a vintage Ruger Super BearCat that soonest well - but only if I practice with it. I've had probably at least a half dozen 22 revolvers o er the55 years I have been shooting - kA but be shot well IF I PRACTICED with it. The one that didn't shoot well was an inexpensive cheaper H & R that I discovered had an offset bored barrel on it.

Get what you like and can afford and then work on learning how the gun shoots with a variety of ammo brands - then shoot it often - if you do your job, it will do its job. Good luck and enjoy!

The "Most" accurate probably varies with individual revolvers . The older ones and high dollar ones mentioned are probably good candidates.

While maybe not the "most" some of the current production models are plenty accurate. Smith 617, Ruger GP100 ,Or any of the Ruger single actions are still nice shooters.

Though they do not have the workmanship of the ones pictured,they are very accurate if you do your part.

64u1e04l.jpg

My S&W 617. Here's a group with CCI SV.

I have had about every quality 22 revolver made, except Korth and other high
end imports. When smoke clears it's always the S&W K22. I have 3, one pre 17
and two 17s. Newest one is one I originally got NIB in 1964. I got a couple m18s
and a m34 too. I had the whole line up of Colts too. Diamond back was the best
of the lot but k22 would out shoot in in my paws. I have had the Rugers too. I
still have a couple 3 screw Single-6s. They are accurate but not to compare with
match accuracy of K22. I find them better than SP 101s for accuracy. I don't do
stainless models but recently had a couple 617-6s, 10shot 4" that were very
nice shooters. Target accuracy= S&W, Hunting & plinking =Ruger, in new model
revolvers. I don't do Taurus or Rossie either but have had them on trade and
they are about the same as Charter Arms revolvers, 2nd class.

I shot a lot of silhouette in the past. The Rams are set at 100 yards but the tough target for most folks is the Turkey at 75 yards. Back then, here is what shot the best and won the most.

1. Freedom Arms (That is easy, nothing shot better)
2. Dan Wesson: Very accurate, much less than Freedom Arms, and a plus was the interchangeable barrels
3. Ruger Single Six: A 9.5" barrel model was available and it shot good for the money
4. Smith & Wesson 17: They seemed to shoot fine but just wasn't a lot of them around. They were too expensive for a beginner gun, you could get a Dan Wesson for less that shot at least as well, and if you had the money you would move up to the Freedom Arms.

I started small bore revolver with a 9.5" Ruger. It was the convertible 22/22 mag. Still have it and it will group about 1.5" @ 50 yards with SK Std +. When I got more money I bought a Dan Wesson (8") and it has been the go to 22 revolver ever since. YMMV

I have a SW Model 18-2 in 4" and it has really surprised me at how accurate it is. Shooting it with the regular sights, I was getting groups at 25 yards that shocked me, so I used one of the no drill scope mounts to put a red dot tube on it just to see how accurate it is. My setup looked similar to AzShooter except my red dot was a Simmons Tube Style. Not the highest quality but a pretty darn good sight. Once I got it dialed in, groups like posted above were pretty easy and the real fun came when we started shooting the 6" round plate at 75 yards. The bullet would hardly move the plate but it was a hoot. Now it's got me looking for a 617 with a 6 or 8 3/8" barrel.

One cannot say that "this model" or "that model" is the "most accurate". Each gun is an entity unto itself. I've seen Model 17's that were not accurate, which I define as sub 2" at 25 yards off sandbags.

That said, your odds of getting a "good one" are higher with some brands over others. But there is always the outlier. The single most accurate .22 I've ever shot was a S&W 22a. Go figure. $250 gun. Beats my High Standard 10-X that must be named that because it's 10X as expensive.

The other question is the shooter. You have to shoot a lot, and compare gun X to your average performance with gun Y and gun Z. This is a long term project. I've been working on it for 40 years and I'm still trying to figure it out.

I watched a guy with a S&W m17 with a Leupold scope sit at bench, sandbagged
and bust clays at 100yds every shot. Was 6" barrel and the model with full under
lug. I don't do optics on my handguns but at 100yds I can hit 10" gong from 2
hand just about every shot. Requires hold over because I'm sighted for 50' with
two and 36' the other. That's how far I can shoot in my basement. Many hundred
of rounds fired down there. I've owned several 17s other than 3 I presently own.
I haven't got a bad one yet. I was 14 when I first got a m17 NIB on a trade. I
had no intention of shooting it. I had a Single-6 and had a mental block against
DA revolvers, because of H&Rs and IJs. My Ruger S-6 was a target gun compared to them. A buddy of mine hacked on me to shoot it. I did and that 17
is still my main serious 22. Many guys who were use to low end 22 revolvers
were amazed at 17s accuracy. There are, were, many excellent 22s on the market back then. Especially autos but the m17 is one of those guns that seems
to be a easy gun for the average guy to shoot well. Anyone who can shoot a SA
well should do a lot better with a 17.

If you might be interested is something a bit different----For a while I had a
H&R 999 Sportsman 1st model that was a darned good shooter. Not as good
as my K-22, but I do regret letting it get away from me.

As said the K22, then choose the 8 3/8 inch barrel. Wide trigger, wide, hammer, target sight. Have used mine for 40 years in bullseye shooting. For something easy to lug around, the model 18 is a good choice. Mine has dispatched a lot of critters.

Is there any major differences between S&W 17-2 and 17-3?

Not really.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson:

Model 17 no dash (1957) - Transition to model names from the old K-22
1958 - introduce 8 3/8" barrel
17-1 (1959) Change extractor rod thread, right hand to left hand.
17-2 (1961) Delete trigger guard screw, change cylinder stop.
17-3 (1967) Relocation of rear sight leaf screw.
17-4 (1977) Change to move gas ring from yoke to cylinder.
(1982) Eliminate pinned barrel.
(1986) Introduce 4" heavy barrel with serrated ramp on ramp base in place of Model 18.
17-5 (1988) New yoke retention system/radius stud package.
(1989) Model discontinued for Model 17-6, full lug version.
17-6 (1990) Full lug barrel with new yoke retention system.
Some early 17-6 reported without full lug barrel.
(1993) discontinue 8 3/8" barrel.
17-7 (1994) Drill and tap frame, change rear sight leaf, change extractor.
1996 Model 17-7 discontinued for introduction of 10 shot alloy cylinder version, Model 17-8.
1996 Begin shipments in foam filled plastic boxes.
1997 Ship with Master trigger lock, Change to MIM trigger.
17-8 (2001) Model 17-8 Heritage Series 6 shot with CNC new frame design.
17-9 (2009) Model 17-9 available as part of the Classic series introduction with internal lock, 6 shot cylinder with square butt frame, Patridge front sight with 6 inch barrel and wooden grips.

My Ruger SA "Hunter" has decent accuracy. My first Gen "Hunter" came with both 22lr and 22WMR cylinders. I like the thin bladed gold dot front sight and the V-notch rear --- Though I put a Nikon 3x pistol scope on top.

My best group with a revolver is 0.517" for five shots at 50 yards. This was from sandbags with a Ruger Single Six Hunter, a Leupold 4x and CCI SV. That was an exceptional group. But typical groups with this gun at 50 yards are around 1.5". I've found S&W 617s to be exceptionally accurate too. But I've never scoped one to really test it. The ironic thing is people will tell you a single six is less accurate with 22 LR ammo (vs 22 mag). I have not found that to be the case.

Does anyone have any knowledge about Dan Wesson’s 22.lr revolvers?
Accuracy, reliability etc... compared to m17 or 617 for example

The only two I've ever owned................A Ruger single six I got in 1969 (and like a fool sold)......Smith and Wesson 617 I got about 1990 or so.
Either one with the right ammo would do under 2", with the 617 got a one inch group.:cool:

*This bench rested at 25 yards...not free hand as I'm damn well not that good!:rolleyes:

Back