Mossberg 464 lever-action?

I picked up one of these before the hunting seasons this past fall. I hear the complaints about the fit&finish, but I think fit is solid and finish is commensurate with the price.

As for performance:

I bought it too late to mount a decent sling so I ended up carrying it slingless around the mountains of Vermont for a weeklong moose hunt. The weight was outstanding compared with any bolt-action I'd have carried instead.

I did not mount a scope...but I was very impressed with the consistent iron-sights accuracy I got at the range with Hornady LEVERevolution. And so much fun, that I actually went through a box of this ammo just at the range (also an endorsement of the ammo).

Our moose was taken with my loaned out ruger 30-06, but I did later take two deer with the mossberg and same ammo (hornady) as above.

I spent nearly 3 weeks afield with only this firearm this year and in the end, here's what I'll say...it was my first time hunting with a lever-action and first time hunting just via iron sights. My deer kills were proof to me that I definitely don't need a scope here in the mountains/brush of vermont. The gun was light and short enough that all shots felt reflexive and solid. I now don't see myself deer or eastern black bear hunting in my home of vermont with anything but a lever/iron sight combo. I'll probably pick up a 444marlin or 45-70 for the next moose hunt. As for whether I regret not spending the extra do for a Marlin or Winchester? Not a bit.

First off......Chuck Conners played an arrogant A$$. Couldn't stand that man. Can't think of another TV western lead man that wouldn't take that rifle away and stick it where the sun don't shine! Enough of that.....

I think Mossberg got into the lever gun market due to the gapping hole left by demise of the Winchester brand name. Let's face it, Marlin guns tend to run a little heavier and are more "full sized". They have only made limited runs of 30/30's that have a straight stock. I personally like the looks and feel of the Winchester 94's. Many do.

That being said, there is no way I'm gonna pay more for a Mossbeerg knock-off than I would for a Marlin 336. Just ain't gonna happen. If I'm gonna spend the price of a 464 (because I wanted the look and feel), I'd fork out the couple extra dollars for a Marlin 94 in .357. Last I checked the Marlin 94's run less than $50 more than a new Mossberg.

Mossberg has priced them out of the market. They should sell em cheap for now and build a following like they did with their shotguns. No way can the compete with Marlin right off the bat.

Mossberg has made lever rifles in the past, too. They make them for a while, sell what they can. then drop it from the line. Then they bring them back another decade or two later. No doubt they thought this was a good time to bring out a rifle that resembles a Winchester 94. They'll sell however many of these they can. and then drop the rifle from their line up. I think these rifles are selling well for now.

Unlike the times of our fathers and grandfathers, we're actually looking at a much weaker and less dynamic industry. R&D budgets have been slashed, the barriers to entry for new manufacturers are high (nearly impossible to start a new venture and be able to pay the salaries of a half dozen attorneys on day 1 of operation), and consumer demand has weakend with the decline in participation in shooting sports.

I think the remaining U.S. firearms manufacturers are simply trying to diversify their product set with "tried and true" options as means of long-term survival. Even the healthiest of them (financially) are at risk with the volatile fluctuations that occur with every new piece of legislation and our legal system.

Mossberg is smart to branch out beyond shotguns (as are S&W and Ruger with their recent product line expansions). The balancing act is how to do it without hurting your reputation, as overextending yourself will show in product quality and lower customer satisfaction. While also paying very close attention to ROI.

Thus, whether from Mossberg or anyone else...the most logical place to launch the product lines that will keep their companies afloat is in the broadest possible segments at the lowest possible price-point. Did Remington launch a new&improved 700? No, they've launched 710, 770, 700 SPS. Ruger trims it's stock and changes out the trigger assembly and it's a big party and new product line. Even this 464 wouldn't have grabbed my attention were it not for the added value of the new Hornady LEVERevolution ammo.

Ultimately, look at it this way...the 464 gives us something slightly more interesting to debate on these boards other than all of the other sameness about "latest and greatest plastic-stocked, tack drivers initially offered only in 270 and 30-06, blah blah (yeah, I know Mossberg did it too)" :-)

I looked at one of these, and it was terrible. A piece of cheap junk, just like most other Mossburgs.

There are way too many good Winchesters and Marlins still around, to consider lowering myself to this level.

The pictures and reports all seemed to be very favorable..but chat on the boards seem to echo something else.

I have a Win Ranger model 94 chambered in 30-30 that I bought new in 1990 I think..and this lever is fast and hard hitting within a 170yrds.

I would like to get one more, but at this time, Winchester in not making them since they have been sold to someone else..but they are offering the model 70...Im sure the famed model '94' wearing the name Winchester on the barrel will make a triumphant return soon to their line up...lets hope :cool:

That being said, there is no way I'm gonna pay more for a Mossbeerg knock-off than I would for a Marlin 336.
I have to agree. I looked at one this week and was wholeheartedly unimpressed. I just couldn't pay more for one than a decent used Marlin or Winchester would cost me.

I don't want to start a fight. However, I have read and heard of MANY accounts stating that the Marlin lever action was and is THE lever action. For quality and accuracy. I agree. And since the previous posts tell the folly of Winchester arms, I can see why Marlin is THE leader. No offense to any diehard Winchester fans, but the 94 did die off.;) However, they did look good. I do and always will prefer the Marlin for toughness and accuracy. With respect to all.:)

I have no issue with personal preference but let's be straight. Winchester died off, which had nothing to do with the model 94. For right at the end, they had revamped the model 94 with a new tang safety, several new configurations and new cartridge offerings. The 94 was going through a revival or rebirth of sorts and was ALWAYS a strong seller. It was all the short, fat, super duper, extra short & fat magnum foolishness and poor management that sank Winchester. The model 94 just went down with the ship.

This was extensively discussed on a levergun forum with 99% bad experiences and, even the one enthusiast eventually had to admit the rest of us were correct.

I bought one (having read good reviews in Shooting times and the NRA Rifleman0 and the extractor failed before the first magazine (6 rounds) was fired. Sent it back to repair facility (not where the factory is) at my expense and, after a month, got it back. Started loading it when the screw holding the forend broke before I even shot it. It was odd sized and no local gunsmith could replace it - Mossberg at first required me to send it back to the repair facility but, I convinced them I had a screwdriver and could replace it if I could get the screw.

Got the screw and replaced it and found I couldn't get through the six rounds in the magazine without a malfunction.

Now, I'm stuck with a rifle I wouldn't sell or even give away because i wouldn't want the recipient to think what he would of me every time he looked at the rifle.

Only too late, I looked in past Gun Digests and found Mossberg had produced some half dozen lever model 30-30 rifles - I assume the reason they aren't still around says something of their quality - or lack of.

:barf:

Last edited:
Why buy A knockoff when you can buy A Marlin 336 for $300. and change?
Dicks Has the 336 SS for $519. A bit more money but the fit and finnish on mine is beautiful.

I have no issue with personal preference but let's be straight. Winchester died off, which had nothing to do with the model 94. For right at the end, they had revamped the model 94 with a new tang safety, several new configurations and new cartridge offerings. The 94 was going through a revival or rebirth of sorts and was ALWAYS a strong seller. It was all the short, fat, super duper, extra short & fat magnum foolishness and poor management that sank Winchester. The model 94 just went down with the ship

I agree 100% with the above. I don't believe there should be any question about the quality of the Model 94 from the last 20yrs...arguably the best ever made. With it's side ejection from the bolt allowing for a low mount scope, this gun was up to date for what it was..light, fast and extreamly well balanced. Winchester will alway's be King of the Lever action rifle regardless of the die hard Marlin owners who don't prefer a legend rifle that went out at the top of it's game. ;)

Winchester will alway's be King of the Lever action rifle regardless of the die hard Marlin owners who don't prefer a legend rifle that went out at the top of it's game.

Amen! Right on! Winchesters are the lever-actions everyone else wishes they had made first. From the Model 94 (and earlier) to the Model 88-Winchester knew how to make a lever-action look right. My personal favorite is the Model 71-talk about a classic. Put the 71 next to a 336 chambered in .444, 45-70 or whatever and you'll see the difference.

Of course, I like Savage 99s too...:o

I believe we'll see the Model 94 resurrected again soon. A lot of folks say that Winchester moved out of Connecticut to thwart the Union which was throttling the company. Then, in accordance with contracts, the company had to lay off production for a period of time. Now they're set up in a right to work state.

I wouldn't mind a new high quality model 94. However, pick one up, they are not the Marlin 336. Shoot groups and you will see. Wimpy feeling and less accurate. Don't kid yourselves, Winchester hasn't really been Winchester for a lifetime.

JSR76...couldn't disagree more with you. My Model 94 Ranger was extreamly accurate at 100yds in the bull..very very tight groups. You may be partial to a Marlin, but calling the Winchester model 94 a wimpy gun..and especially the later models that were even better designed for more accuracy is not being well informed on your part.:o

I picked a new Mossberg lever action off the shelf at Gander Mountain the other day. My first thought was where did they hide the brick! Those things are heavy. It made me wish Winny 94's were still being made.

Having posted my bad experience with Mossberg, and seeing Winchesters discussed, here is my Winchester 94 in 30-30 I bought in 1968 - it's not "wimpy"

AWINCHESTER942.jpg

BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

However, it did cost me $90.00 so, in a way I guess some Winchester 94s could be regarded as "cheap" - :rolleyes:

That same day and same dealer charged my $100.00 for a BL22 lever rimfire rifle. Also, IMNSHO - the Winchester 95 (30-06 here ) is "king of the hill"

AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

:D

Back