Mossberg 464 lever-action?

Vergeltung

anyone out there have one of these by chance? one is on the cover of the Mossberg 2008 Gun Annual mag, and it is really putting the hook in me. I can see all the episodes of the Rifleman running through my head. ;)

seriously though, I'd appreciate any thoughts about this weapon. Thanks in advance! I already (recently) purchased a home defense and range shotgun, and this intrigues me as a nice rifle. love the nostalgia attached to the idea.

I had the occasion to inspect two of them recently and found the fit, finish and general workmanship to be at least as good as any Marlin. Don't own one, don't care to, just thought I'd report my observations. Maybe the ones I examined were flukes or maybe the ones j.chappell looked at were flukes or maybe Mossberg's production of these rifles is fraught with inconsistencies-don't know, but the rifles I looked at were nice specimens.

I was lucky enough to stumble on a used one at about $100 off the new price. So, I picked it up. It didn't look like it had been shot. There were no scratches on the loader until I loaded and shot it. The fit and finish issues mentioned are noticeable compared to a higher priced gun. But, they don't bother me. This gun was made to carry and shoot. Not, necessarily to look great. It cycles and shoots well. I mounted a 3-9 Scope on it so I could see where I was hitting the target at the 100 yard range that I shoot at.

heard of them shipping with parts missing, that they fte, all kinds of problems. a 336 is like 325 with a scope buy that

The ones I have handled did not impress me at all. As long as I can get a real Marlin or Winchester off the used racks (for less money I might add) that is the route I will be taking.

dgludwig,

Wow, maybe I looked at some bad ones but I think you may have just seen a few good ones.

The wood on the ones that I looked at was horrible, lightly colored, metal to wood fit was terrible with gaps and uneven, and the metal finishing was less than desirable.

I compared the Mossberg to the Henry (I do not like either). I am not a Henry fan but in comparing the 2 the Mossberg would be the Pinto and the Henry the Cadillac.

I just dont think you are going to see any consistency in the Mossberg rifles.

J.

well, I guess I will have to get out and do some personal inspection. :) the Mossberg 590 SP (# 50665) shotgun I purchased last month is a fine armament. I am more than completely satisfied with it, so, I don't think I will be dismissing the company's products out of hand in any context.

Sometimes, alot of the discussion here reminds me of a Ford vs. Chevy truck debate. However, I do certainly appreciate the feedback, and will do some "field work" in the next few weeks.

thanks everyone. :)

Last edited:
Verg, I am a rabid Mossberg shotgun man and think everything else is either a lesser beast or a foo-foo poddle rendition of a pitbull...:D I know this will get a chuckle from many and some may actually spit their coffee on the monitor but that is me.
I will not own anything they import including their rimfire and O/U shotguns as well as the SA line of auto loaders. I am leaning towards a Mossberg bolt action so long as it will shoot minute of bowling pin. But In these times I am confused why they would try to get into the lever market... If they are well built and accurate they are still a "winchester knockoff" I have not even handled one but intend to maybe even today...
I love the family run concept of mossberg and their CS is excellent for me.
Brent

yeah, same here re Mossberg. Frankly, if Winchester was still making firearms I'd buy one from them. I was sad to hear they went out of business (except for ammo production, I guess).

good question as to why they went into the lever-action segment at this time. it does hit a twinge of nostalgia for me, especially as regards my love of that 1950s-60s TV Western, The Rifleman. :)

:)

Frankly, if Winchester was still making firearms I'd buy one from them.

Arguably, "Winchester" hasn't made a firearm since December 1980 when Olin sold the Winchester Repeating Arms Company to the U.S. Repeating Arms Company and USRA made Winchester guns under license from Olin (Winchester went bankrupt in the early '30s and was bought by Olin (Western Cartridge)). USRA went belly-up in early 2006 and later in the year Olin licensed FN Herstal to manufacture "Winchester" brand rifles and shotguns. Olin continues to manufacture Winchester-brand ammunition.

One could debate whether a "Winchester" manufactured under license is a "real" Winchester, especially when the manufacturer is a foreign company. Is a Winchester manufactured by Miroku in Japan really a Winchester?

One could debate whether a "Winchester" manufactured under license is a "real" Winchester, especially when the manufacturer is a foreign company. Is a Winchester manufactured by Miroku in Japan really a Winchester?

gak! :barf: Chuck Connors would roll over in his grave!! I could never soil his memory in such a manner. :D

yeah, same here re Mossberg. Frankly, if Winchester was still making firearms I'd buy one from them. I was sad to hear they went out of business (except for ammo production, I guess).

good question as to why they went into the lever-action segment at this time.

I think maybe you answered your own question.

Well my local gun shop hasn't got any, hasn't had any and his reason was "They would have to really be a sharp rifle to steal any of my Marlin customers from the Marlin offerings..." He agreed he has heard both good and bad on them though.
Brent

During WW1, Winchester expanded significantly to make rifles for the British and the American armies. They borrowed heavily to expand. The Winchester Repeating Arms Co. went bankrupt in 1931 and has not made a rifle since then. The company was sold by the bankruptcy court to Olin in 1931, which combined Winchester with Western Cartridge. Rifles made after the sale were made by Olin's company, using the name "Winchester Repeating Arms" but it was not the genuine, original Winchester company (originally called Volcanic Repeating Arms Co., later called New Haven Repeating Arms Co. -- Oliver Winchester was the major stockholder and later re-named the company Winchester Repeating Arms Co.) Quoting from the Internet, "Labor costs continued to rise, and a prolonged and bitter strike in 1979-80 convinced Olin that firearms could no longer be produced profitably in New Haven. Therefore in December 1980 the plant was sold to its employees, incorporated as the U.S. Repeating Arms Company, together with a licence to make Winchester arms. Olin retained the Winchester ammunition business." Quoting further: "From 1981 until 2006, Winchester guns were made by the U.S. Repeating Arms Company. When U.S. Repeating Arms went bankrupt it was acquired by a French holding company, then sold to an arms making cartel sponsored by the Belgian province of Herstal, which also owns famous gun makers Fabrique National (FN) and Browning. ... On August 15, 2006, Olin Corporation, owner of the Winchester trademarks, announced that it had entered into a new license agreement with Browning to make Winchester brand rifles and shotguns, though not at the closed Winchester plant in New Haven. Browning, based in Morgan, Utah, and the former licensee, U.S. Repeating Arms Company, are both subsidiaries of FN Herstal. In 2008 FN Herstal announced that it would produce Model 70 rifles at its plant in Columbia, SC." Since 1931, the rifles have ALL been made by other companies that simply owned or leased the winchester trademark, but none of them were the original Winchester company.

Back