Mosin Nagants Overrated

"Super-Accurate"?
I don't know what that is, but the MN would not qualify.

That being said, here is the MN sporter I've just finished:

IMAG0189.jpg

And, these are the two groupings I shot with it, first time ever fired, SURPLUS ammo...

First seven shots, upper right. Couple of fliers, could've been me...
Dialed the scope down and left, all but two shots of the next ten were in the diamond.

IMAG0188.jpg

Took it out to 225 yards a couple of weeks ago- with my first run of handloads. 6" plates, the rifle did not miss once I had zeroed the scope. Now, granted, all I can say from that is sub 3 MOA..but I will be taking paper as well as steel this weekend.

Since then, I've added a Limbsaver recoil pad and more importantly, a Timney trigger. I'm confident that with the handloads, the rifle will shoot 2 MOA or better, if I do my part.

"Super Accurate", hell no. We've got a .308 Savage and a .223 Remington 700 that'll embarass it. But that wasn't the point of my project. I wanted to see if I could build a "decent" long range rifle on the cheap, capable of ringing steel out to 600-800 yards. The 7.62 x 54R is easily capable of precision at that distance.

I've got a fun-to-shoot, durable rifle for not much $$ (well, not including the Vortex glass :)) that's way more accurate than "minute of deer".

Everyone needs to bear in mind that shooting these rifles outta their crappy wood original stocks cannot be compared to a modern rifle in it's stock.
Put it in a Boyd's (or other aftermarket) bed the action and install pillars, free-float the barrel- and you've got a whole different rifle.

IMO, the most important thing is to have a nice shiny bore, with well defined lands. Mine was a plain, re-arsenaled 91/30. Slugged the bore ( a requirement for handloading) and it eats up .311 Matchkings...

For collectors, bore/chamber condition is a consideration, not an overriding factor.
If you want a shooter, it's the main consideration, IMO.

Last edited:
I don't appreciate being called a troll. Also i wasn't saying this forum specifically thought the mosin was great that just seems to be the consensus online. Also i love the 7.62 x 54 round just don't like the gun that shoots its. except a dragunov. BTW i know about rimlock but to me a military rifle should be reliable out of the box.

It's not out of the box. This Rifle is 70+ years old. Having been a military rifle, it has probably gone through a lot of wear and tear. My M38 kicks like a mule, but that one is pretty accurate. I've taken it on elk hunting trips and I've read stories about people hunting bear with them. It's a rugged rifle that gets the job done. May not be as accurate as a Remington 700, but that's not what it was designed to be.

As far as accuracy goes, the links below show that these two men would beg to differ. Simo Häyhä in fact recorded the most sniper kills of any major war with his mosin nagant. Just because you have two that you might not shoot well doesn't disqualify the millions of other nagants that were made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Zaytsev

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

I've never quite understood the allure of the Mosin either, but I grew up shooting Mausers, '03 Springfields and Enfields.

Last edited:
I looked up that info. on wikipedia and it's very impressive. If this is a 3 MOA rifle how could three shots kill tree Germans at 800m ?

I have a no 4 Enfield and a mosin nagant the Enfield feels like a feather compared to the m-n , accuracy of both seem about the same. I haven't done a side by side shoot with them. Now the mosin is in better condition but the Enfield has been in my family for almost a half century.

I looked up that info. on wikipedia and it's very impressive. If this is a 3 MOA rifle how could three shots kill tree Germans at 800m ?

If all rifles had to meet a 3 MOA standard, just due to the variences in manufacturing some rifles are going to be 3 MOA rifles, others less than 3 MOA. Might even be a 1 MOA rifle just to the luck of the draw.

It is entirely possible that sniper rifles were above average.

At 800 yards, 3 MOA is 24 inches. Think you could hit a 24 inch target at 800 yards? If the shooter is experienced and has good wind dope and elevation, I believe it can be done.

Besides, I meet people in the store who are way over 24 inches wide. Maybe these were extra large Germans in those trees. :D

These guns are popular for 3 reasons

1) There cheap, and work well

2) They shoot relativity well

3) The eastern block surplus ammo is inexpensive considering the caliber size.

And the gun does all this while looking damn good.

Although I am a Mauser fan and 90% of my rifles are made from them, I find nothing really wrong with the MN. Ive seen its accuracy vary anywhere from 2" to 4" depending on condition of the rifle.

The cartridge is quite capable for hunting purposes. If you can bring it down with a 30-06, you can also bring it down with the MN.

There are a lot of aftermarket items that you can purchace to enhance the looks and the accuracy of the rifle. Doing some of this can be quite entertaining and give you hours of pleasure not to mention that ammo is quite cheap and they are enjoyable to shoot.

For someone just getting into hunting and shooting it allows them to do so without a lot of expense and can be upgraded a bit at a time.

To sum it up, there is nothing like having a Fararri, but an old Chevy or Ford truck can usually get the job done.

My 1943 Finn M39 Sako with a slightly worn bore and crown will put czech surplus into 1.5" at 100 meters with a good man on the trigger. It has a 1916 Ishy receiver. I also have a M38, no 91/30 yet. My own opinion is that the M39's are the best of the breed.

It's beside the topic, but don't you need a C&R for a Nagant?

Only if you want the Mosin-Nagant mailed straight to your house.

A C&R license isn't some sort of license that allows you to possess certain firearms not available to those that don't have said license... it merely allows the C&R licensee to directly obtain qualifying firearms (specifically those on the C&R list) without going through the FFL transfer process (if ordering from out of state, for example). The gun can be sent straight to purchaser.

These same firearms (those on the C&R list) can most certainly be owned by someone without a C&R license, for example, I myself don't have a C&R, but have several C&R-eligible firearms, including a Mosin M44. Only difference is, if I were to mail-order a C&R firearm, it has to go to a local FFL dealer, who will then (for a small fee) transfer it to me, perform the background check and so forth. If I had bothered with getting a C&R, all of those firearms could instead have come straight to my house and I would merely have to log their acquisition appropriately.

Last edited:
I have heard people wax a little rhapsodic over their new Mosin.
It's normal to speak highly of your new girl even if she isn't the prettiest at the hop.
Compared to its peers the Mosin isn't the nicest gun around. Compared to the job those guns were supposed to do it was as good as any.

Mosins are multi-functional... I use mine as a tire tool, a jack handle, the bayonet as a fire place poker, the flash from my M44 to start camp fires and it still shoots fine!!

I picked up an ex-sniper MN for $110 at a gunshop. It showed promise, so I installed a Mojo rear sight.

With Wolf/Privi Partizan 180gr rounds, it is as good an open-sight rifle as I could want and, for less than $200 all-up, that's pretty hard to hate.

Post #44

Sarge

I've never quite understood the allure of the Mosin either

I bought a almost mint one (M44) for $100, can't get a Mauser that price everyday if ever.

Hell, www.Aimsurplus.com is selling one (1891/30) in very good condition for $69.95+shipping. The one I got is beautiful, as is the rifling.

"My 1943 Finn M39 Sako with a slightly worn bore and crown will put czech surplus into 1.5" at 100 meters with a good man on the trigger. It has a 1916 Ishy receiver. I also have a M38, no 91/30 yet. My own opinion is that the M39's are the best of the breed".

I scored a solid M39 in a bargain rack at a local pawn shop for $150. Its a really good shooting rifle, and is my favorite milsurp. I also have an SMLE and a Mauser._

Back