Mosin Nagant questions

The Army Navy stores around ere usually have 10+ 91/30's in racks. The cool thing is that I sometimes go in and find a gem like my Finnish M28 mixed and labeled as a 91/30 for $99.

Congrats! How would I find the location of army/navy stores around me? Not sure what to look for in Yellowpages

Cripes, I thought I did well for getting my Finn M39 for $220.

PICT0002-1.jpg

I'm in the metro Atlanta area. Forest Park Army Navy and Stockbridge Army Navy both carry a wide variety of modern, classic and C&R guns. I bought my 03A3 there many years ago. Moss Pawn (overpriced) and Arrowhead Pawn always have plenty of Mil Surplus guns as well. Elite Pawn in Conyers has the best prices of any gun shop I've ever been to. They have anythig and everything you want.

You will find that a bolt action gun will (almost) always be intrinsically more accurate than a semi-automatic. Also, the 7.62x54 is a more stable round and has much less drop at distance. That being said, for what I use them for I can't tell a big enough difference to really make big deal of it. At 100 yards I can keep them all on a pie plate with either gun. I'm not a marksman nor do I claim to be but I can't see ever needing to make a shot with either gun that would require better accuracy.

However, I can make much faster follow-up shots with my SKS. Mine is outfitted with a Vietnam-era fiberglass jungle stock so it's about half the weight of the Mosin.

SKS_jungle.jpg

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278465

Mileage varies for SKS's

Anywhere from 4-5 inches at 100 yards with surplus ammo to accounts of 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards with a new stock, scope, and handloads.

If you want real accuracy try and find an "unissued" one or you need to inspect the barrel yourself to verify good condition. A lot of these guns were used with corrosive ammunition and "shot hard and put away wet."

An sks will NEVER be capable of the long range accuracy that a nagant is because of the cartridge. 7.62x39 is very similar to a 30/30. It is an "intermediate" round designed to engage man sized target at up to 300 yards.

I'd like to throw this in about the Mosin:

Regarding sights: These rifles (assuming the barrel is in good shape) are shooters and capable of shooting quite well to 1000 yards, using the proper ammo.

However, most are shot (in competition) at 100 or 200 yards in CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Games (Matches).

We know of course that the windage can be adjusted via the front sight. But the elevation on these rifles leave a lot to be desired, some shoot high, some shoot low. OK if they shoot low, you have the means of adjusting for elevation to get the point of impact where you want it. But if it shoots high at 100 yards, and you elevation is set on the lowest setting, then you got problems.

This can easily be fixed. A movement of .06 on either the rear or front sight moves the impact one inch at 100 yards (or MOA). If the gun shoots low, and you want it zeroed with the rear sight is set on zero, then simply take .06 off the front sight for each inch you need.

Its hard to add height to the front sight, but we can lower the rear sight.

Simply punch out the pin holding the rear sight leaf. Turn it over and you'll bind a base that rest on the rear sight fixture. Carefully grind it down (bottom side) .06 per inch you need to come down. Its better to use a milling machine so you can get it perfectly flat so it sets evenly on the base without wobble.

Now you should be good for 100 yards with the windage is set for 100 yards, allowing you to shoot any range you desire.

As far a windage, again thats adjusted by the front sight and is difficult to adjust in a match. At extended ranged you need to hold left or right. You need to learn the size of the front sight in reference to the target.

At the CMP GSM Vintage rifle matches you only shoot up to 200 yards, so wind isn't much of a factor unless its really blowing.

These guns are great for shooting a piece of history, once set up its done, now just work up the ammo that shoots best in your gun, they don't have to be loaded hot to get to 200 yards, I load 42 grns of 4895 pushing a Sierra 150 grn .311 bullet. Its easy on the gun and shooter. Its capable of 2 inches in my gun, which is more then accurate enough to clean the target used in the Vintage Rifle Matches.

I just got one of these today, traded my local gun dealer some fishing equipment straight across for it. The ammo was $14.99 for a box of 20. To me it's gonna be a fun gun to shoot for a real low initial cost and nominal ammo fees in the future. I look forward to some random enjoyment with it. One question I do have is, is the recoil similar to a 7mm rem mag?

Its hard to add height to the front sight

Some people slip a section of coffee stirrer or heat shrink insulation over the front sight to add height. Then it's easily trimmed to the proper height.

Cut the barrel to the length that you like then recrown it. have the headspace checked, mount the scope and FOR GOD's SAKE GO HAVE FUN!@!!:D

Out of curiosity, how accurate is the SKS compared to the Mosin Nagant?

Simple answer, they don't. The SKS used the 7.62X39 vs the 7.62X54R. It dosn't have the range, that's why you see the Mosin being used as a long range weapon, from it's conception to the battlefield in Afgan.

It also just wont hold up to the Mosin in the accuracy department.

I'm not really saying one is better then the other, they are just differant.

Like compairing the M1 Carbine to the M1 Garand.

I just got one of these today, traded my local gun dealer some fishing equipment straight across for it. The ammo was $14.99 for a box of 20. To me it's gonna be a fun gun to shoot for a real low initial cost and nominal ammo fees in the future. I look forward to some random enjoyment with it.

What markings does your new gun have on the receiver? $14.99? Was it commercial soft tipped ammo (Brown Bear or Silver Bear perhaps)? I hunt with this ammo and it performs as well as any 30.06 I own or have owned. Shoots nice and straight. For practice you can pick up a SPAM can (440 rds) of surplus ammo for $79-100 but it is corrosive so after you're done for the day shoot some Windex down the barrel then clean as normal when you get home. My local Army Navy store sells the 20 packs of Brown Bear for $9.95 and the 20 packs from a SPAM can for $4.95.

Last edited:
^^ammo is Brown Bear. After doing some research on the gun and ammo last night, I'll be ordering some spam cans of Polish ammo. I found them on http://www.aimsurplus.com/ also, the markings from what I can gather is Russian made Izhevsk (Soviet Union). Lots of useful info on this site as well http://7.62x54r.net/ Thanks for the cleaning tip, I look forward to shooting it as it seems everyone that has one has a blast with it.

Watch out for the laquered, heavy ball Polish on the stripper clips. Every time I've shot in my m91/30 or m44, as soon as the barrel heats up, the bolt won't open. When the barrel cools it will open. And it rocks the shoulder pretty good too. I won't buy anymore.

I myself have a spoterized mosin nagant and it is quite a fun rifle to shoot. the ammo is dirt cheap but your not gonna have great accuracy from it mostly because it doesnt have the trigger that modern rifles have, your shooting military surplus ammo and you have very little recoil reduction. looks great though!

people who arent as learned in riflery will sometimes mistake it for an R700 haha but dont get me wrong if you know anything about rifles you can tell instantly that it is not. Great rifle to take out and explode some watermelons

Back