bolt action

sounds like you want a .223 to me.

sounds to me like the op wants the following

accurate out to 200 yards
cheap to shoot
accurate
bolt action

sounds like you want a .223 to me.

I've looked into the .223, but I want to be able to take it hunting on occasion and the .223 isn't legal to hunt with most places.

Just get the Mosin, fix it up like you want and shoot it. It will make dern good shooter well past your 200 yard guide lines.

If at a later date, you want to move into Vintage Military Rifle Shooting, then just buy another "as issued" Mosin. It's not like you are gonna have to hock your first born to get the $100 for another.

I have a Finnish M28 and an M44. The M44 is my teenaged son's deer rifle and he has no trouble nailing rats at 75-100 yards. We found a Mosin stock at a gunshow and cut it back to the cleaning rod hole, rounded the edge and restained it. His gun sits in that stock without top/bottom hand guards and looks nice. My M28 is quite a bit longer and doesn't kick as much. I took a 'yote at 150ish yards with it last year. When hunting we use the Brown Bear soft tip ammo but for practice we just pop a spam can. When we finish for the day we run a Windex soaked rag patch down the barrel to neutralize the corrosive effects of military ammo. Keep it clean and it doesn't matter.

Has there been any research as to possible health risk to shooting corrosive ammo?... I have not experienced firing corrosive ammo to my knowledge; therefore I have no insight to the possible smell or gas from corrosive primers..."

You'll live. Lol. The tiny amount of salts in the primers isn't going to hurt anyone's lungs, and I can't really tell the difference anyway. It all smells good to me ;)

well, if a .223 is not an option then what about an SKS?

You can pick up one in great condition for about $300, maybe less depending on your area.

You can turn them into almost anything you want

7.62x39 is a proven hunting round (though you do get the whole "shooting deers with an AK" thing)

ammo is cheaper and more available then 7.62x54R

Remember that if you want to shoot a lot recoil of the round can be an issue...and 7.62x54 is not a sissy round

here is a link to over on THR about a guy who turned an SKS into his "target" rifle http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=107782 . Very cool stuff

On a side note someone needs to get in contact with SAIGA and tell them to start making a gun in 7.62x54R so can i make a Knock-off Dragunov

Finnish M-39 - Mosin Nagant

I still suggest to get the Finnish Mosin Nagant M-39, an accurized Mosin Nagant and you don't need a stock. Accuracy solved when used with good ammo and Cheap to shoot with milsurp ammo.

Get it here, I did (middle rifle). Signup for the newsletter and they go on sale often.
http://www.gunsnammo.com/

What about the Finnish guns make them more accurate? They cost at least 3 times more than the rest. For that price, couldn't I do some modifications to a regular 91/30 and make it that accurate?

cartridge stop

The only issue I've come across putting synthetic stocks on Mosin Nagants is that the replacement stock was tight enough to interfere with the cartridge interrupt, causing the rifle to misfeed (in fact, it prevented any rounds from exiting the magazine). A little dremel/file work cleared the problem in no time.

The old girls work, and they hit the 4moa battle rifle standard all day long. Your results may vary, depending on the operator skill level :p. It's not a bench rest rifle, it wasn't designed to be. If you polish the bolt and raceway, pull apart the bolt and polish it, buy a Wolf replacement firing pin spring, even get a ball bearing trigger kit you'll see improvements. Hand load some rounds and you'll real shrink your group sizes. You don't have to spend a lot to get a big ROI off of this platform.

If you want to stay open sights, you might consider the Mojo peep replacements... they work really well and make adjustment easy.

And DO NOT let me catch you with a tri-rail attachement on your Nagant :barf:

What about the Finnish guns make them more accurate? They cost at least 3 times more than the rest. For that price, couldn't I do some modifications to a regular 91/30 and make it that accurate?

I haven't figured that one out myself. I don't think you need to go that route. I'd find a store that had a rack full of Mosins, then take a bore light to find the best bore I can find. I did that to my $99 Cabala Special and I ended up with a shooter.

The bolt might be a little stiff, mine was, but I fixed that with lots of dry firing trying to get my rapid fire cadence down with this rifle. Smoothed right out, I don't have any problems getting off 10 good rapid fire shots in the time allotted in CMP Vintage Military Rifle games.

I'm getting ready to put an ATI monte carlo stock on mine as well. If for no other reason than to stop the seeping of cosmoline out of the original.
Picture049.jpg

BTW that multicam paint job was rocking.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Mosinprimer.htm

In 1939 the Finnish Army and Civil Guard adopted a standard rifle known as the M39. It is similar to previous models, but with improved barrel bands and a double sling swivel configuration (front and rear) making it suitable for all types of troops. It is easily recognized by its pistol grip stock although early stocks are "straight" like the M27, M28, and M28/30. M39s were produced by SAKO, VKT, and Tikka. Some Sako rifles have the Civil Guard Sk.Y logo and there are also "B" barrels from Belgium although the rifles were assembled in Finland. M39s are well known for their accuracy and were produced for match shooting and training in the late '60s and early '70s.

Basically the Fin's made some improvements to the basic design.

This link http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm shows a break down of every feature of the m39 and shows a side by side comparison with some other more common nagants.

My Finnish Mosin is fun to shoot and the recoil is very manageable. Here's a few shots showing the Finnish markings.

M9110.jpg

M9112.jpg

M913.jpg

M919.jpg

and a shot of her with my M44.

Mosins.jpg

Idk guys, I really would like a Mosin from Finland, but to pay 3 times more for essentially the same gun? There's gotta be a way to increase the accuracy of the standard gun.

Well- I got lucky. I browse the local gunshop a lot. Found a Finnish M39 in nice shape for $150. Iot was in a whole bargain rack of Mosins and Mausers. Imo- the Finns really are the cream of the crop. They do shoot very well.

Just because they appear similar does not mean they are the same.

After all, A WASR and a polytech legend are both just ak's, but the polytech is a better weapon in every way. Largly because of build quality. If you want to use a mosin to just mess around, and don't want anything better than 4 moa go with the 91/30. Maybe you can get 2-3 moa out of it at some point. A m39 will be better than a bubba'd 91/30 7 days a week.

Where is the guy to chime in with the whole "bitterness of poor quality lasts longer then the sweetness of a good deal" thing anyways?

Well- I got lucky. I browse the local gunshop a lot. Found a Finnish M39 in nice shape for $150. Iot was in a whole bargain rack of Mosins and Mausers. Imo- the Finns really are the cream of the crop. They do shoot very well.

Where do you guys find these racks of Mosins? I did some shopping around this weekend and only found a total of 2 Mosins after going to 4 gun shops.

The bargain racks at the local pawn and gun shops. There's Peterson's, for one. I got the Finn at Pat's Pawn and Gun. But you have to understand, I didn't just decide I wanted an M39, and went out and found one. I stop by local gunshops and kill time on many lunchbreaks, and saturday afternoons. Where I live, older milsurps arent really hot sellers. Always look for bargains, not just something in particular. I also, just a few months back, scored a sweet Ishapore 2A for $180, went to a show and saw them going for $350+. You just gotta have your eyes on the prize, I guess.

The Army Navy stores around ere usually have 10+ 91/30's in racks. The cool thing is that I sometimes go in and find a gem like my Finnish M28 mixed and labeled as a 91/30 for $99. :)

Back