mosin nagant or axis?

axis223

I currently have 2-223rem savage axis rifles and thinking of either getting 308 savage axis or do a mosin nagant carbine build with sporter stock, etc.

anyone buy a mosin and convert it. I'm thinking maybe a boyds stock, muzzle brake, etc.

anyone do this with a mosin? was it worth it or just buy an axis in 308?

Agreed, just get the .308. The .308 round is going to be relatively cheap and readily available for quite some time. I think the days of cheap mil surp ammo are behind us or close to it unfortunately.

Unless you handload, then get the mosin and get an archangel stock :cool:

Just get the Axis. Please don't become one of those Nagant fanboys :P

Don't get me wrong, the Mosins look cool but ugg. Plus Savage are great rifles.

cd0e95fde53b8c238f79c65f868c25cd929563b3845dda54.jpg

Get the Axis. I am a big fan of Mosins, but for the historical artifact that they are, not because they are awesome rifles. They are generally not all that accurate by modern standards, the split bridge makes scope mounting more difficult, and the ammo is about the same price as .308 any more, the days of $40 440 round spam cans are gone.

The Mosin supply has dried up considerably, and bottom of the line 91/30s are going for ~$250 these days. If you add the price of the stock, scope mount (plus the labor to install it) and any other stuff you want to do, you will be well over the cost of the Axis, and the Axis will be a better rifle in pretty much every measurable way.

It will be lighter, more accurate, have a better trigger, be set up for a scope from the factory, and will shoot a caliber that ammo is available off the shelf at your local sporting goods store/Wal mart.

The days of modifying a military rifle to a sporter as a more economical way of getting a quality hunting rifle are gone. This made a lot of sense when they were a fraction of the price of the bottom of the line Remington or Winchester, and could be found by the barrel full in the local hardware store for $10. Those days are long gone.

Why bother sporterizing a Mosin these days? Price it out. It doesn't make any sense. You will end up spending a lot of money on what may still be an unsatisfactory rifle.

The Mosin Nagant is a clunky and primitive rifle with a funky trigger, sticky action, and nearly unusable safety. They have mostly been through at least one World War, and it shows.

Putting it in a laminated stock and threading the barrel doesn't fix any of that.

The three best things about the Mosin is that they used to be really cheap, the ammo used to be really cheap, and they have WII history.

Mosins are no longer particularly cheap, the ammo is no longer cheap at all, and sporterizing the rifle negates any historical value.

If you get the Mosin, you should appreciate it for what it is.

Unless your interested in the historical aspect of guns, leave the Mosin alone. It's a very interesting gun, and it can be made to shoot decently well with the right ammo, but you don't sound like your wanting a military rifle. Your going to spend way more than you would on that Axis by the time you buy the Mosin and modify it, and it's still not going to match that Axis in terms of accuracy or smoothness. It's also a PITA to mount a traditional scope on a Mosin.

Get the Axis, or if you want to try something new, look into a Remington 700 ADL or a Marlin X7.

I'd buy neither, if you like Savage buy a 10, 11, 12, 14, or 16 in .308. Especially if you ever want to upgraded things the non Axis Savage rifles have more options. Look for the Mosin eye candy thread and talk to the OP about the actual cost to sporterize a Mosin.

I was also interested in using it with iron sights for matches but the old stocks suck and if you guys are saying they don't shoot that great I will hold off.

I'd buy neither, if you like Savage buy a 10, 11, 12, 14, or 16 in .308. Especially if you ever want to upgraded things the non Axis Savage rifles have more options. Look for the Mosin eye candy thread and talk to the OP about the actual cost to sporterize a Mosin.
I dunno. There's a ton of Axis stuff out now, too. And Savage hasn't changed the configuration ten-thousand times like they have with the 10/110 base rifles. Only thing that holds me back on the Axis a little is that fugly skeleton bolt handle. But there's nice stocks (even a couple chassis systems), bottom metal/better magazines, triggers, and any small shank Savage barrel you want.

Don't get me wrong the 10/110 base actions are way smoother and more refined (in general) but I think you can do just as well with a budget build on an Axis if you don't care about that.

I can't even buy a drop-in Boyds stock for my 11 Predator Hunter (it has a plastic stock with Axis magazine). And it has the plastic trigger guard with the bottom bolt release. Frustrating what Savage has done, in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've done a few, lol...

No question, you'll have less $$ in an Axis (I would go with the Ruger American for an entry factory rifle though). Custom MN's are for those that want "something different". As long as you use one with a good bore (little to no pitting, good rifling) they'll shoot 1-2 minutes with good factory ammo. "Worth it" is subjective. Just ask anyone that's put $5K into customizing a $5K car if it was "worth it".

They'll never recoup the money spent if sold. But, that's not why cars are customized, nor why many custom rifles are built. We've discussed this here many times before.

If you're referring to CMP matches, you need to leave in original condition.

PM me if you want more info.

A Mosin Nagant M44 carbine(heavy at 8.9 pounds. A synthetic stock will increase the felt recoil by reducing that 8.9 lbs. too) does not use a .308" bullet. The 7.62 x 54R is rimmed and uses a .311" bullet.
Just because a cartridge's name starts with 7.62mm does not mean .308". Mind you, .308" doesn't equal 7.62mm either. 7.62mm is the bore diameter. .308" is the groove diameter. And don't try to figure out why. Give you an aneurysm.
The felt recoil and muzzle blast is decidedly unpleasant out of a 20" carbine made to be issued to illiterate conscripts too. They're not exactly cheap any more either. Running $400ish on GunAmerica. And the sights and triggers are crappy.
The Savage Axis, in any chambering, is an entry level hunting rifle. Exactly the same thing as your .223. Still going to be less fuss than any Mosin Nagant.
No Boyd's stock is drop in. All of 'em require fitting. Decently priced and can be pretty though.

go with the axis. I have owned several mosins and all shot terrible. I have never owned a axis but have heard good things about them. I do own a couple of savages and they are very accurate. I don't see the big deal with sporterizing the mosins. The are best left a relic of ww2. They have a good history behind them. But a modern rifle they are not. Good ammo is expensive for them as well. The cheap ammo is not very good. I chronoed some red army ammo I had bought the velocity spread was over 100 fps from shot to shot. Ammo looked like surplus. It seems like I see a lot of "tactical" mosins on local classifieds. I bet a lot of money was spent on them but they shot like shotguns so now they are for sale.

Ahhhh.....bashers out in force, I see.....

Question:
Which rifle has the most confirmed Sniper kills, in history?

Question:
Which rifle was used by the winner of the Gold Medal in the Olympic Biathlon in Innsbruck?

Hint... Not a Beetle, nor a Baja Buggy ;)

Ahhhh.....bashers out in force, I see.....
What you call "bashing" some folks call reality.

But if I was bashing something, It certainly wouldn't be the rifle, as much as the logic behind spending more to get less in the name of doing "something different". Good for you that there are enough people out there wanting to pay more to get less that you can make a living from it, I guess.

Using a different approach to meet a specific goal is often a good thing, but when the "something different" is the goal itself, frankly that is kind of a silly reason to do something.

I bet this guy was wanting "something different"

face%2Btorture.JPG

Question:
Which rifle has the most confirmed Sniper kills, in history?
The Mosin Nagant, but I expect this has more to do with raw numbers than anything to do with the rifle itself. Soviets were big believers in military sniping, and fielded more than anyone else by a large margin.

Question:
Which rifle was used by the winner of the Gold Medal in the Olympic Biathlon in Innsbruck?
No doubt an off the shelf 1943 Izhevsk 91/30.

Again, not saying anything negative about the Mosin Nagant, it was cutting edge technology for 1891. It was an excellent rifle for a conscript army of largely uneducated farmers.

It is roughly the equivalent of the VW Beetle. It is rugged, utilitarian, extremely reliable, not that fancy, cheap to produce and completely functional for its intended role. You can try and dress it up, but it is still a Beetle.

Sure, you can bolt a bunch of crap on a Mosin, spend the money for a bent bolt, scope mount, new stock, cut the barrel, install a brake, whatever other crap floats your boat, but it doesn't change the fact that pretty much any modern entry level rifle from Savage/Ruger/Remington/Marlin is going to be a better rifle in every measurable way. Manufacturing technology has come a long way since the WW2 era Soviet Union.

A modern gun will be lighter, more accurate, have a better trigger, be easier to mount optics, and probably shoot a more readily available cartridge than a Mosin.

And since you don't have to bend the bolt, or install a special scope mount, or replace the stock, it will most likely cost less, particularly in the current market.

Not sure what sort of match the OP is interested in shooting with a Mosin and iron sights, but like you mentioned those would usually preclude modifying the rifle.

Don't butcher a poor Mosin just so you can have something stupid that will have 0 history or resale value down the road.

Just get the Savage. They're great guns, more accurate than you can make a Mosin (usually), and plenty cool. Leave the Mosins for those who appreciate the legacy, history and the design. Mosin Nagants are not as common as they once were. Like the Mausers and Enfields before them, they too will dry up someday and I feel that day is going to come sooner rather than later.

Back