Montana Traffic Stop

Frankly I'm shocked it took 5 hours of deliberation for the jury to clear the officer.

Five hours is not a long deliberation, considering a human being was killed (scumbag, chucklehead, ex-convict, wifebeater, regardless, still a human being). The jury was responsible to interpret the applicable laws and consider all the evidence presented at the coroner's inquiry, which was likely quite extensive and ponderous.

While the video clearly shows Jessop was attacked, and the Jurors likely had the same notion that you (and any other sane person) have, I would imagine the sticking point that had to be reconciled within the specific language of the law was that Davis was presumably driving away, not attempting to reposition and continue the attack.

Unlike NFL instant replay, I have no problem with a jury taking as long as it needs to arrive at the correct decision.

A different angle of approach, staying behind Davis' left shoulder, would have provided view of the cabin from an angle that would make it difficult for Davis to point a gun at Jessop, let alone by complete surprise. Likewise, a passenger-side approach would have provided the best view of the cabin, and a clear view of any attempt to draw a gun. Different departments have different protocols, however, and we don't know what they prescribe in Hamilton, Montana.

Having the right hand free and on the gun would have decreased his draw time by literally seconds.

Engaging Davis in conversation once he replied "plenty" to the question of consumption, rather than stepping away while instructing him to step out of the vehicle, also prolonged the time Davis had to retrieve and/or present the revolver.

While none of these things may have prevented the initial shooting, they certainly would have helped Jessop to better control the situation. That's my point, and controlling suspects, especially once they've demonstrated erratic driving and are clearly intoxicated/under the influence, is paramount.

Last edited:
Agree with you on the watch your background when shooting like that, you can get into serious trouble or worse kill someone by accident, like a child.

That would be very bad but worst would be the driver shooting and killing me or my child because I didn't return fire. Sounds awful but it is the reality imposed upon me by him. My first duty is to survive.

Five hours is not a long deliberation, considering a human being was killed (scumbag, chucklehead, ex-convict, wifebeater, regardless, still a human being). The jury was responsible to interpret the applicable laws and consider all the evidence presented at the coroner's inquiry, which was likely quite extensive and ponderous.

Thanks for helping me understand the process. I was beginning to think badly of the jury pool.

I didn't say to not return fire just something to be considered. I would have shot at him as well but the background is something important to think about.

First off, I've seen this before and I think I even commented in another thread on this. Good for the officer than he survived. It was not his day to die.

Let me just add that if it'd been me, there wouldn't have been a laundry in the county that'd be able to clean my underwear!

The surge of adrenaline from the initial attempt probably kept him from experiencing even more fear and disorientation from the concussion wave. That deep boom and the muzzle flash is indicative of the power of the .41 Mag. I know it well.

M58S_1078M.jpg

Did anyone notice that just after he radioed his call sign it appears he was rubbing his left ear? Looked like he was experiencing some ringing or deafness in that ear.

Let the LEOs discuss the minor points of using the A or B pillar approach. From a firearms tactical approach, the flashlight should always be in the weak hand. Always watch the hands because that's what's likely to cause you harm.

My guess is that after the initial conversation, he figured he just had a DUI on his hands. Probably a common occurrance out there.

Re: Child in the car - most officers approach as Jessop did, scanning the back cargo and back seat area for other persons. Still, in that kind of adrenaline rush, he still might've fired several shots before recalling a child was in the car.

Daugherty16 - civilian shooting - Supposing someone "stalled" in the traffic lane and I'm approaching to see if he wants help pushing it to the curb, okay I'll buy that. If that first attempt results in that loud *click* and gunfire as I scramble away, my adrenaline will probably be so high that one of two outcomes is likely -- I don't stop running until I'm behind my own car or I do what Ofcr Jessop did - return fire immediately from the rear of the vehicle. But once he moves off a few car lengths, I stop shooting. Defensible in court? Probably.

I didn't say to not return fire just something to be considered. I would have shot at him as well but the background is something important to think about.

I got you. It is very important to think about background under almost every other scenario possible however when a bad guy is tossing lead my way exposed or with no cover its importance is a couple rungs down the ladder so to speak.

I think your dead on about the intial "Click" :barf: phase preparing him for the actual 41 mag round. I know a 357 well and its a loud loud catridge I wonder what the 41 would sound like. threegun - yes its is significantly thrown down the ladder with stopping the threat at the top rung. Agree completley on that.

I had a 12 gauge loaded with bird shot fired over my head as I knelt to shoot. The muzzle was 1-2 ft behind me and maybe three feet above me. It injured my ear to the extent that I still occasionally get vertigo as a result twenty five years later. A 41 magnum has significantly more pressure. All I can say is I hope his ear recovers well.

:eek: that is close. What caused that situation to come about if you don't mind me asking. I'm sorry you still have problems because of it.

A dove approached us so we ducked. As the bird came within gun range I opened up from the knees. My partner stood and fired. He followed the bird to far in my direction.

Funny thing is I don't recall if we even got the dove.

Wow thats pretty crazy, I don't think Id care about the dove at all anymore. First I would look like this :eek: then this :mad: then after all was over and done :barf:

Shooting

It's really funny when it's going down you don't have time to think. But when it's over then the shaking and studdering starts. being a retired cop from Baltimore I can relate to how he felt in that situation. One can only think of what I would have done in the same situation. But not being there it's easy to say this or that. One thing for sure he took a dangerous person off the street, who will never be able to hurt anyone in the future. Some will say he had defused the situation and that there was no reason to shoot at the perp. fleeing it looked to me that the officer reached down and picked the weapon off the ground evidently dropped after he shot at the officer?. It's definitly a situation that no ones wants to be in. Lou

Last edited:
I'm with Retired15t

I agree with retired15t. "Another scum bag off the planet".....

:eek: What a low life to stick a pistol in the face of the police officer (for doing his job) and squeezing the trigger. He has no respect for the life of this officer and deserved his fate. Great shooting by the stressed and extremely lucky officer, he deserves a medal.

What a low life to stick a pistol in the face of the police officer (for doing his job) and squeezing the trigger. He has no respect for the life of this officer and deserved his fate. Great shooting by the stressed and extremely lucky officer, he deserves a medal.

:D

ThreethisiswhyIloveT&Tgun LOL

Back