"Modern"/Usable Top-Break Revolvers

When I said 'true to the original design', I meant that the chambering was the same as the original Schofield, chambered for the 45 Schofield round. The modern replicas made in Italy have slightly longer cylinders, so they can chamber longer rounds such as the 45 Colt and 44-40.

I know that the Italian repros have longer cylinders. I have one in .45 Colt and the other is a .38 Special. Of course, I have only been shooting standard loads in the .38, and, even at that, I notice that the gun is getting a tiny bit loose. What really bugged me was the appearance of tiny marks on the rear end of the cylinder in the .38. I finally realized that the marks were from the cylinder hitting the retainer in the topstrap, which made me realize that the metal used is fairly soft.

Thanks for all the responses!

My goal would be to have a fun gun to shoot (does not need to be high powered like a magnum; .38special would be fine), and I don't think black powder would be an issue for me, at least I've no interest in that at the moment.

I will most likely end up acquiring a Webley (.45acp moon clips) or Schofield (.38special). And I can always modify the loads I would make for the Webley to make it easier on the gun, correct?

And worst case I'm sure I could find a way to reload 38sw should I need too.

I love all these different break tops!

The finish looks beautiful. The stocks look square and horribly uncomfortable. The representative reminds me of the late Alan Rickman. A guy selling revolvers named Wheeler? That's a hoot right there.

Yes, you would have to download the .45 ACP for the Webley. If you get some .45 Auto Rim cases, then you won't need the moon clips.

If you google images of Webley .45 ACP conversion, you will see lots of Ka-BOOMed guns. Definitely load down.

nice but $$$

top break revolvers are surely neat, but looking at 1G for just a decent replica is a little much for the average shooter. a cheaper to shoot 38 special would suit me as i do not reload. Hickhock 45 had some great YouTubes with info + history as well, very interesting!!

Be like an alien dismissing all humans because Rosie O'Donnell was the first person he happened to meet.

If I were an alien and the first human being (I use the term loosely) I met was Rosie O'Donnell I would haul a$$ back to where I came from and never return. Maybe it happened and thats why we haven't been invaded. At least not from outer space.:D

If you like top breaks you may look at one of the H&R 999 twenty twos. They can still be found but they are not all that cheap anymore. My bud has one and they are decently accurate guns that you can afford to shoot. And maybe that will tell you if you really like this design after all.

The Charter Arms Bulldogs remain popular. Ruger just released their GP100 in .44 special. I imagine that would be a decent choice for a modern top-break. I don't know who'd make it but for now, I'll be keeping an eye out for the new rimfire model from North American Arms.

I have an all original 1932 dated No. 2 Mk I. 38 S&W is easy to reload, use a mild load-2.7 grains of Bullseye, e.g. Hollow base wadcutters work fine.

The Charter Arms Bulldogs remain popular. Ruger just released their GP100 in .44 special. I imagine that would be a decent choice for a modern top-break.

OK I am confused. How are those two guns "modern" top breaks???:confused:

As far as I know, the ONLY centerfire top-break revolvers being made are the Uberti top-breaks.

As for original? I'd get a Webley Mk VI and shoot .45 ACP out of it. MAC on YouTube does this with his with no issues. Some say it can harm the gun but I'm not buying it. If it's good by MAC, it's good by me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGreIiDMOQc

ratshooter, I was just weighing in with .44 special on the theoretical discussion of what calibers would be good/practical for a "modern" top-break. You know, for all those bored marketing or R&D guys at the big companies who read TFL in their downtime. :rolleyes:

As for original? I'd get a Webley Mk VI and shoot .45 ACP out of it. MAC on YouTube does this with his with no issues. Some say it can harm the gun but I'm not buying it. If it's good by MAC, it's good by me:

When Mac on Utube's Webley lets go, will you still be good with it??

The Webley Mk VI LOOKS like a big strong revolver. It is big, but not terribly strong. Standard .45ACP ball ammo is essentially proof level pressure for the Webley.

And while shooting proof loads is something a gun should survive, its not something that should be done as a regular diet, because, simply, there's no way of knowing HOW LONG that gun will survive. Might go thousands of rounds, might have the cylinder crack the next round he fires.

When the supply of .455 Webley ammo dried up, lots of them were shaved, to take .45acp brass, some were even shaved enough to take .45AR brass, but not all (I have one that won't).

What wasn't made clear back in those days, (or since, because people still do it) is that shooting .45acp ammo is too hot for the gun. The idea was to use .45acp brass (and clips) to give you something to shoot, loaded to WEBLEY CORRECT PRESSURE, which is less than standard .45acp.

There's a lot of broken Webleys out there, that lasted for years shooting .45acp ammo, until they didn't. If you've got one, do what you think best, but don't say that you were never warned about the risk.

I got to thinking about the top break, in general, and I believe there is no technical reason that a top break design in a high pressure cartridge could not be made. There are top break double rifles in 40,000psi cartridges, so obviously its not just the top break alone that matters.

What I think you can't do, is make a top break revolver that will hold up to a 40,000psi round, in a package that is an acceptable size & weight (and cost) to compete with solid frame revolvers of equal power.

No one has done it, yet, and as far as I can see, no one is trying to...

ratshooter, I was just weighing in with .44 special on the theoretical discussion of what calibers would be good/practical for a "modern" top-break. You know, for all those bored marketing or R&D guys at the big companies who read TFL in their downtime.

OK Cosmo. Got it.:)

I did have one of the H&R 999 revolvers. Neat gun if you didn't get the empties under the star. Just remember to turn it up when dumping empties and you are good to go. I would really like one of the small frame 38 S&W or maybe better yet a 32 long. So many guns, so little money.:(

I used to have an Iver Johnson in 38 S&W, that i reloaded for, but got rid of it to pay for my carry gun. I really like break tops.
That being said, if someone would build one with a lower barrel, like the Chiappa Rhino, it'd be much stronger. The force would pull more on the much stronger hinge, than on the weaker latching mechanism.

Willy, that is an interesting point. I'm not sure it would make all that much difference as it would still use the lower point as the fulcrum, but it would make some difference.

As johnwilliamson062 mentioned, there was a great opportunity missed on this front in the late 90's. IZHMECH, the Russian company that produces the Makarov PM designed the .357 Magnum Model 412 top break for the US market. There were shootable prototypes, but it was never produced because Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin signed an a agreement banning small arms imports to the US from Russia. I like to think it would have been a really cool gun.

With the renewed interest in revolvers here, I wonder if IZHMECH might go for this again. If there were importation problems, I'll bet they could get them produced in the US.

MP_412.jpg

Last edited:
Some people seem to want a top break revolver that fires a round at least as powerful as a .44 Magnum, weighs nothing, lasts 50K rounds at a minimum, has sights that can't miss, is invisible, and ammo is free....

And they complain how makers are missing the boat by not providing such a product, and providing it at WalMart prices.

Yet if the magic elves DID produce such a thing, those same people would complain how it wasn't practical because of its limited ammo capacity, or simply the fact that it was a ...revolver...or for some other reason, or none...

and they still wouldn't buy them...

Back