Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease...on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time I use grease anymore is for a range trip, on the rails. I have seen autos slow down with heavy grease on a cold day. Not really optimal on a carry gun.

Luckily we live in south Florida, so we only get about two or three of these "cold days" a year. Last time it went down into the 50s. :eek:

So I don't think the cold weather is going to affect his grease/gun much.

I have Mobil 1 grease on hand anyway so that is one of the reasons why I use on firearms. Mobil 1 I find to be exceptionally stable for a period of years if not well over a decade for door mechanisms, hinges, ball bearing drawer slides and in some manual and power tools. In situations were this grease can not be used such as lock mechanisms, small computer fans and the like because of access restrictions or delicacy of the mechanism an oil is used. Comparatively the oil needs to be renewed by flushing/cleaning the thing with something like WD40 prior to re-oiling periodically.

IMO grease is the way to go when it can be used. :rolleyes:

I use mobile 1 oil as well. I found grease is very hard to clean. I stop buying gun oils and lubes after I tried left over mobile 1 syn oil from oil change.:D

Synthetic Grease

I've used Superlube for years with no problem. I just looked up Superlube and Mobile 1 grease and read their properties. Mobile 1 lists their grease as stable from -40 F to +302 F. I expect Superlube would be in the same range. I was unable to find their specs for this.

They both list excellent rust and corrosion protection. We have to remember, of course, that they are advertising their product so take it FWIW.

I apply a thin film of Superlube to my gun rails with a Qtip. Breakfree CLP everywhere else. Mobile 1 BTW says that their lube is thixotropic, which means it thins in high speed applications and returns to its basic viscosity for slow speed operations. Superlube says they have micron sized PTFE (teflon) in their lubricant which fills in any voids in the metal.

I like the temperature stability of synthetics. I won't be shooting or fishing in anywhere near -40 F, and the lube will stay in place locked in a hot car trunk or in summer sun.

I recently read an experiment a gentleman did on the properties of various gun lubricants. One of his tests was a lubricity test. He confirmed that indeed a thin film of lubricant was better than a thick layer. You should be able to find his tests of gun lubes with a little searching. He used small metal plates to test rust protection. It was quite an extensive series of tests.

I have used a THIN coat of whatever non-synthetic, general purpose auto grease I have on hand to lube slides, etc. on my guns for years now. It goes on with a Q-Tip, keeps everything running smooth, and stays right where I put it. I am yet to have the first lubrication related failure.

I would caution against using large amounts of any lubricant-too much can gum up the works and do more harm than good. Also, firearms with very tight tolerances seem to do better with gun oil than grease (thinking AR here) but for most weapons, any ol grease will do just fine. We tend to over think some of these things.

This thread petered out almost two years ago.

There is no logical reason at all to resurrect a years-old thread to post a reply as if the thread kicked off yesterday.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back