Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease...on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car grease was designed to reduce wear between metal parts under high heat and pressure. It should work just fine on a gun, although you do seem to be laying it on a bit thick. There's just a microscopic layer that prevents friction, everything else gets scraped away and builds up. And synthetic greases should be fine on poly guns (as well as polyurethane bushings if your car's suspension is so equipped).

I've been using Green Grease on my Mini-14. I applied it months ago and after a couple of range trips it's still there. Rated up to 500° and supposedly good for rust prevention as well.

It turned into a marshmallow in a microwave I swear! :p lol no really, I stuck it between the slides rails for maximum protection, when I racked the slide several times it moved/pushed it all out instead of spread it. So I wiped the excess off and checked it out again today and it did the same. Took me almost an hour (even though I detail stripped it) to take all of it out.

I noticed when I applied a light "film" over the barrel, it was a little sticky. So I feel either way I go with this it wouldn't be optimal. It will work...but not optimal is something I can do without. So my search continues.

I don't use Mobil 1 oil or grease on my guns. I use Mpro 7 gun oil and Shooters choice grease which comes in a syringe and it red in color.

plastilube

I've used Plastilube (BMW brake grease) on friction points for many years. It's value was pointed out on a CMP site, suggesting it be used on M-1 rifles.
Any grease should be used sparingly. I put a small dab on forefinger and rub it into my thumb and then apply to all friction points(locking lugs, and shiny spots, etc.).
On lower power semi-autos (22s, 32s), I use synthetic gun oil (g-96 or weapon shield). Grease will probably create too much resistance to be reliable.

Grease will probably create too much resistance to be reliable.

My dear Bilbo, I agree. Most grease may be too thick and gummy. But I prefer a nice grease to oil any day. Especially the climate I'm in and what my CCW goes through with it.

I just need to find the right grease. TW-25 was "okay" for me. But over a month afterwards it doesn't look too promising and really gums up. RIG's (which is why I started looking again) my buddy brought to my attention that it's not an active lubricant, even though it "works" a lot of things can just "work" when they're not meant to, doesn't mean it's right.

Don't know...I heard "slide glide" is really good. Maybe I'll try that out.

When I go into work tomorrow I'll see what lube our gunsmith has laying around, I'll even send him a nice picture of me applying it to my gun....I know that sounds horrible to some. -.- keep it classy gentlemen.

Constantine what are you doing to your gun? Looks like something fished out a swamp. All that grease also traps carbon and dirt. A jam waiting to happen.

This. Thats way too much grease for a Glock.

I use Brownells Action Lube Plus and have had great results. It is a synthetic moly grease, and if you don't mind the black color it's great stuff.

A gun is just a hunk of metal and or plastic. Nothing special about them.

I just use some stuff I buy at Wal-Mart called "gun oil" on mine. It works just fine.

There's no magic that makes automotive lubricants only work on automobiles and gun lubes only work on guns. Doing it right is more important than what you do it with. You don't pack feed rails like you would wheel bearings.

No matter what kind of grease one chooses to use, the amount of grease in the picture from post 17 is excessive, and not just a little bit excessive.

Grant Cunningham mentions food-grade Lubriplate grease (NLGI, 0 grade) in a couple of his writings. I have a couple of syringes of the Lubriplate SFL-0. It's non-toxic, white (a thin coat is virtually colorless), nearly odorless, thin enough to be functional in cold temperatures, thick enough to stay in place and with a good corrosion resistance package.
There's no magic that makes automotive lubricants only work on automobiles and gun lubes only work on guns.
There are a couple of considerations that do apply to one but not the other.

1. Automobile engines are not carried next to the driver's skin nor do they often have a chance to come in direct contact with the driver's clothes. Therefore it doesn't really matter if the automotive lubricants are toxic, have a strong smell or cause stains.

2. Internal engine parts do not often come in direct contact with salts or other environmental contaminants. That means that motor oils or other products intended for internal automotive parts may not have the same corrosion preventive additives that are standard in premium gun oils.

That's not to say that only a gun oil is suitable for a gun--just that it's worth considering the application carefully when choosing a lubricant instead of thinking that all lubricants are alike or that any lubrication requirement is equally well served by any type of lubricant.

I haven't seen anyone mention marine grades of oils. I have some Amsoil synthetic 5-40 marine and thought it may be even better than the regular mobil 1. From what I understand the marine versions have additional rust and corrosion inhibitors.

You could use Pam and the gun would run fine.

If we're talking about a carry gun, dry film lubes seem like the smart choice.

I don't know anyone who is likely to fire a carry gun enough while carrying to make any lube necessary. Oil it up for the range, carry it as dry as possible.

I don't know anyone who is likely to fire a carry gun enough while carrying to make any lube necessary. Oil it up for the range, carry it as dry as possible.

Well you haven't seen the mag Constantine sticks in that thing when he goes to bed. :eek:

Well you haven't seen the mag Constantine sticks in that thing when he goes to bed. :eek:

LOL he makes a point. And I shoot this thing any chance I get.

Constantine, how do you like your Jericho?

I like it a lot Kevin, I just wish I had a box of spare parts just in case.

I'm actually at work now and I'm going to do some work/tests with it. It's right next to me!

a6uhyqyr.jpg

And thank you for everyone's concern! Lol this isn't my first rodeo with firearms and far from my last. I squirted that Mobil 1 grease in the rails as always but when I racked the slide and loaded it up, didn't realize how thick and gummy it was till I took the slide off once in front of crazy88fingers and wiped off any excess. Then again for that pic, and it looked the same! Shocked me to be honest. Almost did a smore like effect. Usually with other grease I apply it stays within the rails like I want it to. For some reason this one really oozed out.

It's back to normal now.

I love mine. So far, it's my fave to shoot by far (although the 228 is still on a waiting pattern!). You can Mec Gar mags cheap and I have found disassembly documents and parts sources. If you need anything re the Jericho, PM me buddy!

I like synthetics because they work in cold temps (Alaska certainly qualifies there though a lot of Northern States exceed my area).

My Sig SP2022 came with TWB25 and I have a bottle of that as well as synthetic oil that came in a package with it I got latter.

I use the synthetic oil in the hard to reach places.

AR gets Mobil 1 as it has characteristics that seem to work and alleviate any of the function issues of crud build up if that should occur.

In most cases plain oil does fine. If you are happy with it thats fine.

The comment about toxicity was interesting. I have been up to my wrists in various oils, solvents and other chemical goops since I was a kit.

I do take precaution now, how many people cleaned with Hoppes 9 with no protection?

Do your best, there is a whole lot of stuff out there that people don't think about thats bad for you. MTB was one and fortunately that toxic ugly chemical is replaced by Ethanol. Alaska was the first state to ban it. Others were slow and got it into the water table. Ugh.

I've pretty much decided on Ballistol for day to day wipe downs, cleaning and lubing. It's about as safe as can be.

Occasionally I'll use CorrosionX as a protectant or inside the lock work of a revolver.

Super Lube is another good food grade grease.

The only time I use grease anymore is for a range trip, on the rails. I have seen autos slow down with heavy grease on a cold day. Not really optimal on a carry gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back