Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease...on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use this on their semi-automatic pistols? I've been using it for the past month or so. The stats are really impressive. Although sometimes it seems like it may be too heavy in my opinion. I've been using RIG's for the longest, but even that tends to melt off between jobs and physical activites when I sweat outside and what not. Mobil 1 synthetic grease does not move unless I fire of course.

So anyone use this?

Recommend it?

Recommend against it?

I like clear or white grease so if I have to take it apart I wont stain my clothes.

Synthetic grease is overkill. It's made for automotive sealed applications that see more movement in one hour of operation than most non-military guns see in a lifetime.

I'm going to guess that this grease is for industrial machinery (locomotives, railcars, cranes, etc...) and the reason it's red (by design) is so that any seepage can be spotted quickly.

I’ve been chiming the use of Mobil 1 grease for sometime now although I probably mis-spelled it “Mobile”. Applied largely to the rails and locking block area. Excess that oozes out from working the action a number of times I simply remove.

Seems to stay on the rails for my usual 200 round count session.

On a polymer/plastic gun I have recently switched to silicon based Novagard G661. My reason is a petroleum base lube will eventually cause a petroleum based product, polymer/plastic, to breakdown. The synthetic lube Duralube I dispense using a basting syringe and the syringe is kept loaded with lube. Over a period of years, something like 4-6 years, the rubber plunger tore apart within the syringe clogging the syringe making it useless. Granted this syringe is a no brand cheapo from a 99-cent type store but I think it gives some merit of a petroleum product causing breakdown. Fortunately I kept a spare syringe on hand.:rolleyes:

I have been using Mobil 1 products on my guns for years. I actually put a drop of Syn oil with a light coat of grease. I have been experimenting lately with anti seize on one Glock.

Over a period of years, something like 4-6 years, the rubber plunger tore apart within the syringe clogging the syringe making it useless. Granted this syringe is a no brand cheapo from a 99-cent type store but I think it gives some merit of a petroleum product causing breakdown.

I do not see that as a valid control. The cheap rubber would have deteriorated just as bad in the environment once unsealed.

9ybugu4e.jpg

It never runs.

Motor oil I've used in the past when I'm out and about and need to relube.

The Mobil 1 synthetic grease is what I'm really curious to see if others use.

I have tried various greases and found they were a pain to wipe out in cleaning. Greases get into the smallest nooks and crannies and it takes work to get the dirty grease out. However, Mobil synthetic motor oil is just great in 1911's. :p And, the dirty oil just wipes out with a paper towel.

“I do not see that as a valid control. The cheap rubber would have deteriorated just as bad in the environment once unsealed.”

True it would deteriorate just exposed to the air or water but the degrading would have been different, it would likely harden and crack. The synthetic oil caused the rubber plunger to soften like a jelly causing it to tear when I pulled the handle to refill the syringe. Otherwise, most likely, using the syringe to dispense the oil would have been no issue.

Mobil says the use of Mobil 1 motor oil, not the grease, on plastic is unknown or rather specifically they say “no data”. Although its OK for the plastic container that it came in. Others say the thickness/viscosity of a grease will help prevent damage to plastic because of less penetration.

Rig’s is a product I’m not familiar with but a quick search says it’s a preservative/protectant.

^ I was just told that this weekend when I went to the range with our forum member Crazy88Fingers. I did not know that for a while. It did so well too. Well aside from what I said. So I guess I'll just stick to the Mobil 1 grease for now. I can see what was said about it being a little difficult to remove. It's a little thick..

Really need to run 1k of 9mm through my Glock 19 in a class to see how it holds out.

I used it successfully for years, until I ran out. When I tried to Google where I could get some more, it seems I would have had to buy a full case of the stuff -- I'm not going to live that long.

I stopped using Mobil1 grease only for two reasons.

1. MSDS chemical info, and it is not non-toxic.
2. Too sticky and difficult to clean.

So, researched and landed on food machinery grade and non-toxic Lubriplate SFL grease. I settled on the NLGI grade 0. This because the TW25b grease shipped with my SIG 226 seems thin and the same consistency as Lubriplate SFL-0 grease that is sold on midway.com.

And it is cheap.

I THINK Mobil1 grease is NLGI grade 2 or higher.

I am happy with the switch so far.

Constantine what are you doing to your gun? Looks like something fished out a swamp. All that grease also traps carbon and dirt. A jam waiting to happen.

campbed said: So, researched and landed on food machinery grade and non-toxic Lubriplate SFL grease.

That's what I use. Lubriplate No.130-A. $12 for a 14oz can enough for 3 lifetimes. Cleans up easily and it takes a pencil tip on each of the four rails. I also spread an invisible coat on the barrel with my finger. enough to feel but not see. Like skin cream for the barrel and locking cam.

I don't know what happened either. I guess it did run 0.0 happened when I took it down last week too. Just cleaned the whole gun. Detail stripped. From when I posted the pic until now. Wish I took a pic of it now. It's already loaded and what not. I had that weapon shield oiler pen. That should suffice till work this weekend at the gun shop, where I'll grab some of the good stuff. I put the Mobil 1 grease in the shed for the Stang. I'll use it on my SIG's too. I have it on the Jericho 941 also.

Watch. I bet with tomorrow alone this oil will evaporate by Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back