Votes: 13 23.6%

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Hate

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By mini-1911s, I thought you meant guns like the SIG 938 or some of the .380 1911-like guns until I read your actual post. So, you mean the Officer sized 1911...

I am a fan, but (when I can carry) I don't carry it anymore. In fact, I only was won over to it for a very short time (a year or so).

For years, when I carried a 1911 (and for a while, whenever I carried) it was a Commander sized S&W 1911SC (1st gen). Then I moved away from 1911s, I preferred DAO or DA/SA where I wouldn't have to worry about a safety on a defensive gun and the heavier DA first shot acted as the safety. Then, for a short time, I came back to the 1911 (other than my CZs, I shoot the 1911 platform better than everything else, and CZs are tied). However, the Commander was just long enough to dig into my leg a bit when sitting (I like IWB carry) so I gave the Officer size a chance. Mine is a full steel gun and I don't find the weight really bothers me much when carrying (I'm a big guy, I also can't carry in my home state so I don't carry every day). However, the extra weight does make me almost as accurate with it, with quick follow up shots, as using a full size (and probably a bit better on follow up shots than my Scandium Commander sized 1911SC).

Well, I'm back to preferring not to have a safety on a carry or home defense gun, so I've pretty much retired all the 1911s to range use. I like revolvers and DA/SA (my CZ P01, PCR and 75 Compact) as my first choice, with a few striker guns as well (my S&W M&P40c and my Ruger LCP). I'd also prefer the greater capacity of a double stack 9mm or .40 unless I'm using a revolver. So, since they are only range guns for me now, I may actually sell off my Officer sized 1911 (RIA Rock Compact) and maybe even my much loved S&W 1911SC to help fund a moderately high end full sized 1911.

Back