Votes: 13 23.6%

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Hate

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sig 238, 938, Colt Mustang or Gov't .380 none of these are remotely 1911 actions inside.

The .45 ACP smaller types are by nature less reliable, though not by individual pistol perhaps, it's asking a lot of a small frame to do everything that a larger pistol does with the limited slide distance and limited timing. My Colt 3" barreled gun seems very reliable though.
The Llama is almost a true shrunken 1911 inside.

I have looked at the micro 1911s, like the Sig 938. That one I don't like. Primarily because I believe in carrying with a loaded chamber and the hammer cocked and locked. The little micro 1911s have safeties that are just too hard to disengage.

I carried a compact 1911 for about fifteen years, but swapped it for a P938, over two years ago.
The latter is literally half the size and half the weight, but still holds 7+1, and is a lot easier to conceal.
I completely agree on the thumb safety; there are now three companies making similar, Colt Mustang-based 9mms, and they all have the same, crappy thumb safety.
Cylinder & Slide has seen fit to put their much-improved safety back in production, and I suspect I'll have one before long.

Carry a 3 incher everyday during light shirt season, but prefer to shoot a steel 5 inch. Am not in love with it, but suits the purpose well. Heavy shirt season is a Ruger lwght commander with 5 inch extended barrel.

Both of them have older style colt safetys (not the first original ones) on them that are not extended.

The .45 ACP smaller types are by nature less reliable, though not by individual pistol perhaps, it's asking a lot of a small frame to do everything that a larger pistol does with the limited slide distance and limited timing.
This is right, but just to clarify, the problems with small 3" barreled 1911s have never been due to the smaller receiver (which may be confused with the term 'frame'). The 'Officer" sized receiver is no different functionally than a 'Commander' size with the only difference being a shorter grip and magazine.

The problems historically have indeed been all in the slide, "with the limited slide distance and limited timing" as well as a shorter recoil spring. The short barrel and short slide travel mean that there is less time for the slide to move back, extract a round, and eject it while the barrel is unlocking, tilting, and accepting a new round. Meanwhile the magazine feed speed is no different than a full size govt model.

This is right, but just to clarify, the problems with small 3" barreled 1911s have never been due to the smaller receiver (which may be confused with the term 'frame'). The 'Officer" sized receiver is no different functionally than a 'Commander' size with the only difference being a shorter grip and magazine.

The problems historically have indeed been all in the slide, "with the limited slide distance and limited timing" as well as a shorter recoil spring. The short barrel and short slide travel mean that there is less time for the slide to move back, extract a round, and eject it while the barrel is unlocking, tilting, and accepting a new round. Meanwhile the magazine feed speed is no different than a full size govt model.
exactly. cycling problems can usually be attributed to the magazine in some fashion or another.....

Would the Type 2-5 1903s count as a Mini-1911?

standard.jpg

Correct. Not a 1911. And Rock Island tries to position their Baby Rock model (which is a clone of an old Llama .380 pistol) as a micro 1911, and it isn't either.

The nearest thing I can think of to a "micro" 1911 is Browning's scaled-down 1911-22 and 1911-380 pistols. And even those aren't truly scaled-down 1911s, because they don't use locking barrels.
If we're going to talk "mini-1911's that aren't really 1911's", I'll chime in- I really like the size and feel of the Star BM. Yes, I know, not a 1911 either.

But I've looked a couple times at the range, comparing my BM to a RIA Commander in 9mm, and a Sig 938. It seems to fit into the slot between those two, frame as well as slide.

I'm really kinda surprised nobody has revived this particular design and re-released it. Seems like it would be a winner.

The Browning 1911-380’s are locked breech operation; they just don’t use the swinging link. Aside from that, every part is pretty much miniature 1911 stuff.

RIA “Baby Rocks” are indeed copies of the blow-back operated Llama design. As a result, felt recoil is ~3x the Browning.

folks, mini 1911s are just that, thumb safety, grip safety officer sized guns model after and scaled down from the colt 1911. I'd rather this not morph into something else.

I’ve owned my SIG Ultra Compact 1911 for over 6 years now. It’s accompanied me on many long distance motorcycle tours & continues to amaze me on how accurate a 3-3/8” barreled pistol can be, easily keeping up with its 4” &. 5” barreled 1911 stablemates without any functionality issues.
This is the only officer size .45 that I have experience with and it’s all been good.

folks, mini 1911s are just that, thumb safety, grip safety officer sized guns model after and scaled down from the colt 1911. I'd rather this not morph into something else.
^I 100% agree with that sentiment JERRYS, however different caliber mini-1911s are applicable. :)

^I 100% agree with that sentiment JERRYS, however different caliber mini-1911s are applicable. :)
yes, of course. I specifically mentioned .45 acp and 9mm. I don't know of any .357 sig, .38 super, or .40 cal et cetera officer 1911s but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

The .45 ACP smaller types are by nature less reliable, though not by individual pistol perhaps, it's asking a lot of a small frame to do everything that a larger pistol does with the limited slide distance and limited timing.

With at least a half a dozen manufacturers making them I think they have the bugs worked out by now. I think it is more people are resistant to change, look how many people still avoid polymer guns and they have been around since at least 1970 (49 years) with the H&K VP70Z.

I happen to like 1911 guns with a focus on the Colt Series 70 full size guns. One day came along a deal where I could not say no. I never planned or actually wanted to own a 3" barrel .45 ACP and never thought a 3" ACP could deliver any accuracy. That was several years ago and I have no reservation with carrying this little 1911 type gun.

Kimber%201.png

The gun has always functioned reliably without a problem. Based on that I have no reservations with the gun, I trust it with my life.

Ron

I happen to like 1911 guns with a focus on the Colt Series 70 full size guns. One day came along a deal where I could not say no. I never planned or actually wanted to own a 3" barrel .45 ACP and never thought a 3" ACP could deliver any accuracy. That was several years ago and I have no reservation with carrying this little 1911 type gun.

Kimber%201.png

The gun has always functioned reliably without a problem. Based on that I have no reservations with the gun, I trust it with my life.

Ron
What was the "can't say no price" on the above pictured Officer's Model there Ron?

The can't say no was $500 for what is pictured. The gun and Galico leather with three magazines. A friend needed money and made me the offer so I figured for the buck why not, even though I never dreamed a .45 ACP with a 3" barrel could deliver any good accuracy. I have become sort of fond of this little gun. :)

Ron

Officer frame and 3-3.5" barrel?

In .45, "meh" too much flip causes them to shoot too slow for my preference.

In 9mm? "Like" they shoot well and fast enough.

I don't like any of the smaller "micro" options.

Prefer a CCO to either, or a full grip commander with bobtail.

Back