Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Hate

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JERRYS.

usually the "officer" sized 1911 is in .45 acp which can make a novice shooter dislike the gun because of recoil control issues. however, in 9mm this effect is noticeably diminished and the attributes of a compact 1911 can shine for everyone.

there are still those that for whatever reason prefer not to carry even a compact 1911; weight, capacity, size, manual of arms.... so I'd like to hear the thoughts of those on the fence with this gun. I know there are lovers and haters of it but I think there are quite a few in the middle that I'd like to hear reasoning from. Thanks.

The wife carried a Kimber CDP II for many years. At some point she decided it was too heavy and clunky and she switched to a Kimber Micro in 380 and turned the CDP II in to a nightstand gun. Both are excellent guns being both reliable and accurate. I found them easy to shoot and operate.

She then decided that she wanted to be like James Bond and switched to a Walther.

I have always preferred polymers myself ever since they have been available.

For me, the Commander is the optimum form factor/configuration for the 1911. Commanders balance better for me than full-size Government models. That said, the two pistols I currently use for regular carry are a Colt Enhanced Officers ACP (3-1/2" barrel) and a Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg (3" barrel) -- both in .45 ACP.

I agree the Commander size just seems perfect. I really don't have difficulty concealing it, but my G26 is so much lighter weight. I love the 1911, but carry the G26. Just like I love my 1967 Camaro, but drive my Nissan Altima.

I love my Colt New Agent in 45ACP , it's a 3" 1911 the pistol came with CT Laser Grips . The recoil is the same as my Colt 70 Series Government Model 5" . Using the laser it is as accurate as the 5", I only shoot 230FMJ's in both pistols and both operate 100%. What's not to like

Last edited:
3.5" LW officers model. ONE SWEET GUN. I can hit wiht it easily. It has CT laser grips and is under my bed in a quick open safe.

I have had it a long time and shot it a lot. Never a problem.
Beats carrying a full size steel frame.
Everybody has their favorite.

I shoot steel bowling pins with it a few times a year to keep sharp. On a cloudy evening I can use the laser.

I usually carry a micro 9. If the going could get tough, I take the OM.

I have to admit, hand it to a novice with hot loads and watch them flinch after a couple shots.

David

I'm with the Commander size club, to me its the best balance between the 3 sizes. I enjoy carrying my Kimber Pro Carry II in 45, I had a Springfield Officer size gun in stainless but always carried the Alu framed Kimber because it was lighter and held more rounds.

I prefer the Lightweight Commander for CCW over all other pistols, and I have carried a lot of different ones. I do have (still have) a Kimber 3.5" 45 and I kind of like it, but seldom carry it.

I like CCO-sized 1911s for concealed carry, especially the lightweight guns. For those who don't know,the CCO size has a Commander length barrel and an Officer sized grip frame (one less round than standard). I have an officer-sized Colt but it's more for looks than every day carry; the closest I have to a BBQ gun. I just think any barrel shorter than 4.25 inches is introducing potential reliability issues.

I'm with the Commander size club, to me its the best balance between the 3 sizes. I enjoy carrying my Kimber Pro Carry II in 45, I had a Springfield Officer size gun in stainless but always carried the Alu framed Kimber because it was lighter and held more rounds.
I'm in the "Commander" club too, but Officers sized 1911s have their appeal, that's why i voted "like".

I have a Dan Wesson ECO, which has the officer grip and a 3.5" barrel in 9mm. To me, it is a perfect carry 1911. I LOVE mine.

I have looked at the micro 1911s, like the Sig 938. That one I don't like. Primarily because I believe in carrying with a loaded chamber and the hammer cocked and locked. The little micro 1911s have safeties that are just too hard to disengage.

I've got 2 4" Kimbers, I don't consider the 4" 1911 to be a 'mini,' however. I like the 4" barrel length... I pick up a 5" and I feel like I'm swinging around a boat oar. Never warmed up to the 3" 1911's, I don't really have a use for one... but I could see where they would be a round peg in a round hole for some people.

If you want to talk 'mini 1911's' let me show you my Colt Government .380! ...now, THATS a mini 1911!

I prefer full size 1911's but don't hate the smaller ones. I would take one if it was free but wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

KyJim said:
I have looked at the micro 1911s, like the Sig 938. That one I don't like.
Technically not a 1911 but still a nice carry pistol.
Correct. Not a 1911. And Rock Island tries to position their Baby Rock model (which is a clone of an old Llama .380 pistol) as a micro 1911, and it isn't either.

The nearest thing I can think of to a "micro" 1911 is Browning's scaled-down 1911-22 and 1911-380 pistols. And even those aren't truly scaled-down 1911s, because they don't use locking barrels.

I guess I have lived without the smaller 1911s for close to 70 years now. I never had a desire to own one. I wear a 2x to 3x shirt, so the full size Government models fit me fine.

BIL and a nephew have smaller sized STI 1911s and they are fun to shoot, but I still wouldn't wanna fork out the money for one. As a side note the nephew's wife works for STI in Georgetown and she bought both pistols for a grand total of $750.00. That is less than I paid for my last Colt.

I like CCO-sized 1911s for concealed carry, especially the lightweight guns. For those who don't know,the CCO size has a Commander length barrel and an Officer sized grip frame (one less round than standard).
Same here. I have a Colt CCO with slim grips that was my EDC for a long time. I also shot that gun in USPSA run & gun and really enjoyed that.

The Commander slide length with the alloy officer's frame is the perfect compromise for IWB concealed carry. You get the longer sight radius, 4" barrel for better velocity, the potential for better reliability, along with the smaller, lighter frame for better concealability.

I still like that formula even with polymer striker guns. I have a 4" barreled XDS and just bought a 4" barreled S&W Performance Center Shield, both in 9mm.

Back